GRAW PC WEAPONS

Colin

How much will the smoke grenade be able to cover.

About 4 diameter?

I remember reading that Bo said that b/c of potential cheats, smoke would not be MP...which is too bad b/c concealment is such an important part of tactial moving...

I agree with Bo's decision on that. If someone wants to have smoke nades though, its not problem putting them in since they are already on the SP side. It wouldnt take anything to just bring them over into the MP side as a mod to use in servers with trusted friends in it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmmm.

At this time, smoke grenades will be found in multiplayer but have not yet been included in single player.

Right out of Colin and ZA's report.

Well, well, that's great! Happy to hear it!

Thank you for the correction!

Wonder why its the other way around? Maybe the AI dont act correctly with the smoke nades or something..As long as there isnt any potential cheating that can be done by tuning the graphics options to rid of the smoke like previously thought from reading the other post. Im glad they are there, will add a nice tactical feature for the game.

just looked this is what I see from Colin's report

"Smoke Gernades. We do not want to unbalance game play with this, but we have worked on this. Still we cannot guarantee this, and we do not want to risk it in multiplayer, since it can lead to cheats (with tuned graphical options that could give an advantage to some players). "

Could you point me to where you are seeing Smoke for MP?

Thanks.

Equipment

At this time, smoke grenades will be found in multiplayer but have not yet been included in single player. We will not be seeing flash bangs; it is my understanding that there are clear cut views on certain aspects of game direction and a clear differentiation between the Ghosts and Team Rainbow. (This was also the case with the decision not to include civilian population in the game.)

What you quoted isn't from the hands on report.

Equipment

At this time, smoke grenades will be found in multiplayer but have not yet been included in single player. We will not be seeing flash bangs; it is my understanding that there are clear cut views on certain aspects of game direction and a clear differentiation between the Ghosts and Team Rainbow. (This was also the case with the decision not to include civilian population in the game.)

What you quoted isn't from the hands on report.

Thanks Easy!!!

Why so few weapon choices ? What about a DMR like the M14 ? Can I add a sight, like the EOTech HWS or Aimpoint to the SAW ?

Will there be additional weapons released later in patches ? Like the M4, M16A4 ??

I really don't care about the small amount of weapons. Because all the weapons we will ever need will be in all the cool mods people are going to make.

Quick!! Someone model an AA-12 300 rpm fully automatic shotgun with 20 round drum! :P

How much will the smoke grenade be able to cover.

About 4 diameter?

I remember reading that Bo said that b/c of potential cheats, smoke would not be MP...which is too bad b/c concealment is such an important part of tactial moving...

Guys just a quicke one.

The fact sheet in the top section of this thread has been accumalated over months.

As you can see some things change along the way, this is why some questions dont get answered because of ongoing work being done.

Well not any more but you get my drift.

Why so few weapon choices ? What about a DMR like the M14 ? Can I add a sight, like the EOTech HWS or Aimpoint to the SAW ?

Will there be additional weapons released later in patches ? Like the M4, M16A4 ??

I really don't care about the small amount of weapons. Because all the weapons we will ever need will be in all the cool mods people are going to make.

Quick!! Someone model an AA-12 300 rpm fully automatic shotgun with 20 round drum! :P

8 primary weapons seems enogh to me if they are well balanced. In GR1 most of experinced players used 3-4 favs kits. Lots of weapons in GR1 were so weak/unaccurate comparing to SA80 or OICW that it was pointless to use them on TvT.

Of course I'm lookin forward to some new weapons which will come in decent mods.

Hey, thats a thought, it shouldnt take too much for modders to redo their GR1 weapons mods to GRAW should it? What would be really sweet would be if modding tools were released before the game so we could have mods all ready to go..... would be hard to debug though.

I wouldn't bet in it not taking all to much to redo original GR weapons to GR:AW standards mate. 99% of all weapons modded for GR were made to look good from a 3rd person perspective, ie they look good when viewed from the side and a few meters away. But it's a whole different ballgame to make something that looks right when it's right under your nose.

First of all you'd notice that sights and lots of details are really low poly and from a 1st person view looks really angular. Secondly the textures ain't really made to stand up to the 1st person view with lots of them being sidemapped (=texture stretching ontop of stock and reciever) and to low in resolution (=bad pixelation when viewed that close).

Take this as an example, an old model of mine done to GR specs:

mp5side.jpg

MP5 model from the side...doesn't look all to bad.

Take the same model from more or less a 1st person view though and this is what you get.

mp5rear.jpg

:x

Plus GR:AW uses texture maps never used in original GR so the modders would have to go back and paint new textures for their models, things like bump, spec and most likely normal maps would need to be done.

There would also be the matter of animations. Simply doing the reload animation properly means you have to have a fully modeled magazine, something I'd say just about no GR model would have as it would of been a waste of polygons.

Ok, we are venturing very OT here but just to illustrate my point even more.

Here's a model made specificly for 1st person view. Got polys where it counts and a texture made to be seen upclose...see the difference Joseph_Q? ;)

m4side.jpg

Side is reasonably photorealistic.

m4rear.jpg

But the main difference is in the 1st person angle.

I'd say it would be easier to remake old GR models from scratch (including textures) instead of trying to "update" them to GR:AW specs.

LOL...we'll see SC. I'm still not a 100% sold on GR:AW but will most likely pick it up anyways (demo or no demo) just to see how it plays.

And even if the VBS1 models might look up to scratch I'd still be in the same boat with them as with older GR spec models, I'd have to do in and repaint alot of the textures as these are colourmap's with light information baked in. In other words I'd have to paint out just about all shadows and highlights plus paint new bump, spec and possibly normal maps. That's a fairly big undertaking!

LOL...we'll see SC. I'm still not a 100% sold on GR:AW but will most likely pick it up anyways (demo or no demo) just to see how it plays.

And even if the VBS1 models might look up to scratch I'd still be in the same boat with them as with older GR spec models, I'd have to do in and repaint alot of the textures as these are colourmap's with light information baked in. In other words I'd have to paint out just about all shadows and highlights plus paint new bump, spec and possibly normal maps. That's a fairly big undertaking!

Be careful, Bo is checking your models out. He may offer ya something.

Well a maybe is definately better than a definative "no". :grin2:

I know everyone else on these forums would much appreciate any effort in your modding GRAW SF. ;)