GRNET.MEMBERS EYE TEST

Colin

5, missed the last of.
Me too. I guess that makes us well above average.

I, as well, found five because the last "of" eluded me. The sad part is that even after I knew there were six, I had to read it several more times before I could find the one I was missing. :wacko:

This happens, by the way, because we read WHOLE words. When we're learning to read, we sound out words, but after the words become familiar to us, we see them as wholes, recognizing them largely by the first and last letters and the consonant sounds in between. We don't hear an "F" in "of" and, consequently, it's difficult for us to note the actual letter.

A longer example of this lesson:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I first saw this in a chain-letter office-humor email, but I've actually found a couple of uses for it in my classes.

--Logos

Edited by Logos

Test your eyes.

Count every "F" in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI

FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

(3? WRONG, THERE ARE 6).

:notworthy: That was way cool, Colin !

20/20 vision and you fooled us.

Strange ... the eyes seem to focus