Ghost Recon.net Forums

Clean install of XP Pro.

I installed XP Pro on a new SATA HD today, and thought it would be neat to keep a list of every step taken, just to see how much was involved. This is only to get a system to boot to desktop and be secure, no day to day applications installed.

Installed new SATA Drive

Booted PC with Windows disk inserted

Set Partition sizes

Windows XP Install Process Starts

-configure language settings for English (UK)

-set Name

-set Organisation

-set Computer Name

-set Admin Password

-name Workgroup

Windows Install Complete

Took a start-up timing

24s XP Logo appears

35s Welcome Screen Appears

39s Desktop appears

58s Disk activity stops

Formated 2 partitions

Installed SP2 (off CD)

Installed Firewall

Installed AV

Insert mobo system disk

-install Intel chipset/software

-intel pro lan drivers/software

Shut Down

Connect Cable Modem

Restart PC

Update AV virus definitions (from web)

Download and install sound card drivers

Download and install graphic card drivers

Activate windows

Check for Windows Updates

Install 20Mb (35 No.) of Security Updates

Restart Twice

Check startup times again

20s XP Logo appears

45s Welcome Screen Appears

49s Desktop appears

1:50s Disk activity stops

I think that's everything to get XP loaded and secure, quite a lot of steps. The next thing is to go through my box of manufacturer disks and start installing all my software and hardware drivers, and stuff like Direct X. That'll be an even bigger list!

Edit>>>

I started adding all the apps etc yesterday (15 Feb) and configuring stuff....

Installed Printer Driver

Changed the location of the Store folder for Outlook Express

Imported email accounts into OE

Set up some OE folders for storing emails and setting message rules to use them

Installed Firefox (Google Toolbar version)

Installed Spampal and configured (White lists imported etc)

Install OpenOffice

Created a new MSN account

Flash player plug in installed.

Installed Palm Desktop (that was fun, Palm direct you to the wrong version)

Installed QT alternative

Installed Dreamweaver and imported Sites

Installed ICQ (Jeez, can't they just have one download?)

Install Finepix digi camera software/drivers

Installed bundled Nero CD writer software

Installed Xvid Codec

More to come...!

Edited by Rocky
"Connect Cable Modem"

Done at that stage I must say:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: ....and:  :thumbsup:

Many people forget or don't know that the install + activating of the XP firewall must be done off-line. Actually you should have highlighted that line, Rocky.

?? :blink:

I can do both on or offline.

The Firewall activates as soon as NIC drivers or dialup drivers are loaded. The Firewall itself is installed when XP is. But it can be activated or disabled at any point in time, whether online or offline.

Edited by Specter
"Connect Cable Modem"

Done at that stage I must say:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: ....and:  :thumbsup:

Many people forget or don't know that the install + activating of the XP firewall must be done off-line. Actually you should have highlighted that line, Rocky.

I learned the hard way mate. Last time I did this, I left the modem connect from the get go, and before I had even installed a FW and AV, I was already infected by a port scanner, on my brand new HD. That was about 2 years ago, I'll never forget that leason though heh.

Formated 2 partitions

Install 20Mb (35 No.) of Security Updates

Are you planning to put the virtual cache on a seperate partition? If so, I would put it on your 2nd SATA hard drive, not the one you just formatted

I just did a reformat of one of my home systems last week and noticed it's up to 35 updates now, and you also need to get WMP 10 and MS AntiSpyware (genuine WinXP advantage :thumbsup: ) Here's to hoping that MS puts out one of those "roll-up" CDs so we can install post SP2 patches offline :yes:

I found that I'd install QT and the Creative Soundcard software first before turning on WMP10, that way all the file types they hijack (esp. Creative) get reverted the first time you turn on WMP.

WinXP SP2 comes with DX9c already, but you may want to install the Dec 2005 updates mentioned in the other thread.

WinXP SP2 comes with DX9c already, but you may want to install the Dec 2005 updates mentioned in the other thread.

Ah, rgr, didn't know that, and yeh, page file is going on a 2gb partition on a seperate HD.

Ah, rgr, didn't know that, and yeh, page file is going on a 2gb partition on a seperate HD.

Lately, I've made my virtual cache at least 2GB, so I've made my cache partition a little larger (3GB or so) and keep my Temp Internet Files and Print Spooler files in there (basically anything that will defrag my C: drive)

Also, the last few systems I've formated I've "upgraded" to Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update. Good to get those MS Office patches that are usually ignored.

And here's the link to the DX9c Dec 2005 update:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30536

XP runs the4 best when the page file is set to about 3200MB. It's best to set the minimum and maximum to this number, so that Winblows doesn't use all of your remaining drive space to scatter 3200MB worth of files over.

You can also boost performance, by defragging, which you already knew. Twice a week is usually good. One of those times a week, make sure to defrag the page file also. It will take a good bit more time, but is worth it in the end.

I use Vopt for XP. It has some amazing options.

Edited by Specter
Lately, I've made my virtual cache at least 2GB, so I've made my cache partition a little larger (3GB or so) and keep my Temp Internet Files and Print Spooler files in there (basically anything that will defrag my C: drive)

I was also thinking about moving outlook storage to a seperate partition, because I find I regularly have to defrag the windows XP partition even though there shouldn't be much writing going on in that partition. Then I thought about all the hundreds of emails every day, so that's probably the reason for the fragmentation there.

I was also thinking about moving outlook storage to a seperate partition, because I find I regularly have to defrag the windows XP partition even though there shouldn't be much writing going on in that partition. Then I thought about all the hundreds of emails every day, so that's probably the reason for the fragmentation there.

I keep all of my OE email in it's own folder on a seperate drive.

One, when Winblows FUBARS, my mail is safe without having to keep it stored on the mail server, two, it does reduce fragmentation on my C drive.

Once you finish installing the progs, you can clean up the disc with the clean up function, and also deleting the files in C:\Documents and Settings\''your name''\Local Settings\Temp. Just to make it Super clean :P

Then it might be useful to create an image of that partition for quick recovery.

And to capture that Super cleanliness on a DVD :geek:

Then it might be useful to create an image of that partition for quick recovery.

And to capture that Super cleanliness on a DVD  :geek:

That is something I have never done before. Can it be done easily with free software? I can still do it, I've not worked on that drive since my last post.

Can it be done easily with free software?

Yes and no.

Download Knoppix Linux

Boot from CD

Load this link from within Konqueror

Enable CD-R/DVD-R support as per tutorial

Burn a copy of your entire install directory to CDR/DVDR. Basically, imaging your entire C drive to media

Then, if you ever need to clean install again, you boot to the Knoppix CD, and copy the contents of the burned media over your C drive, re-imaging back to your current setup.

^ gonna give that a try. For now i use Norton Ghost

Very easy to use, from Ghost, just select the partition you want to save and that’s it.

Such a tool should be included with the OS imo. Maybe it will be included in Vista?

Just my comments and opinions on things mentioned (good advice guys)

1. Outlook

- I personally don't recommend anyone to use Outlook as it's one of the most vulnerable components of Windows, and often an invitation to viruses/trojans etc. by downloading e-mails onto your HD.

I personally use webmail, and advise people to do so for the networks I maintain. Gmail is a great webmail service as its fully searchable.

So Rocky, it's not too late to get your gr.net e-mails forwarded to a webmail address. However, if you absolutely have to stick with Outlook, Specter's idea is good to keep it on a seperate partition.

2. Imaging OS partition

- I used to do this with Win98. However, I often found that if I needed to use the image, it was way out of date, and missing lots of apps.

With a fast computer and WinXP, it doesn't take me more than 1+ hour to reinstall XP, all the patches, drivers and apps. XP's System Restore will also work in a pinch and has saved me lots of time fixing systems in the past.

3. Defragging

- It is useful to defrag, but I find I don't have to do it too often as with Win98.

One thing people forget when they defrag the C: drive is that you should turn off System Restore and the Virtual Cache (unless its on a seperate partition which is better anyway) to fully defrag it.

The fastest way to defrag your virtual cache if it's on its own partition is to reformat the seperate partition its in and reset it. That's all you have to do.

I always install Winblows on it's opwn drive, with nothing but MS Office and Visual Studio on the same drive, as those two apps seem to work without error on the C drive, especially VS.

Yes, the image can become a bit outdated, by restoring the image is still faster, as you already have most of the mneeded updates in the image, and usually only have to get a couple more, if there are any recent ones.

Especially now that the updates for XP are starting to slow down, with Vista on the horizon, and no major updates for XP coming out for a year or so.

Imaging will also, in most cases, save you time, by you not having to re-install all of your drivers again, as they are included in the image.

I run all of my apps on a seperate drive or partition, and 90% of them don't need reinstallation, as the first time you run them after the re-image, they restore their own registry entries.

There are only a few programs that are the exception to this rule: Nero, system utilities, if you feel the need to run them(personally I don't run any except VoptXP, not even an AV program), MS productivity and programming apps. Most all others don't require re-installation, and the program can be pinned to the start menu and re-run from it's current location without hassle. Most games are like this and don't require re-installation.

I use OE because I have multiple email accounts, several of them for tech sites and bulletins, and I like to save and DL my emails. I dl them to their own directory on another partition. You usually don't, 98% of the time have to worry about viruses from email as long as you know what your opening, and who it's from.

NTFS fragments like an SOB. It really needs to be dsone at least once a week for heavy users to maintain performance, especially for gamers who play alot, and with Rocky, I know, who is constantly working his PC and playing on it.

System restore is definitely a must have nowadays, especially with all of the adware and malware out there. It's indispensible. I don't recommend turning it off at all for one sole reason: people forget they turned it off, then when they need it, they're hosed, but good, and end up doing FFR's. VoptXP stops System Restore for the defrag and re-starts it afterward. I also recommend going into C:\Windows\Prefetch every couple of days or once a week, and emptying that folder just like you would a temp folder. That will speed up defrags.

And start the defrag when you go to bed, and let it run. Then you don't have to worry about the time factor and the process infringing on your computing time.

See, it all depends on what kind of WXP and progs installation you want. If like me, you are a control freak and apps maniac, and you like your machine to be perfect and Super clean, then it is recommended to make an image of the partition containing the OS and apps, because to get the software to be just right for you on your machine installation and tweaking wise, demands a lot of time.

What CR6 says for the image being outa date is true, though when installing the image in 6 months or more, all you got to do is update what needs to be and then create a new image from that if you wish.

The idea of an image is to preserve the core of the setup since that demands a lot of work and time. Again, it all depends on what type of OS/apps you want. If your setup is very simple and basic with few apps, then it is not necessary to copy the partition, but if like me it take you 6 hours (and more) to get your machine just right for you, then you better to preserve that perfectness :D on a DVD, since it take about 30 min to reinstall everything from that image.

If your setup is very simple and basic with few apps, then it is not necessary to copy the partition, but if like me it take you 6 hours (and more) to get your machine just right for you, then you better to preserve that perfectness  :D  on a DVD, since it take about 30 min to reinstall everything from that image.

How do you make your backup image?

Very easy to use, from Ghost, just select the partition you want to save and that’s it.

Such a tool should be included with the OS imo. Maybe it will be included in Vista?

1. Install Norton Ghost (Norton System Works)

2. Insert a DVD in the burner.

3. Start Norton Ghost

4. Select the partition (C:) to be saved, and specify that you want to create an image on a CD/DVD or on the hard disk, as you see fit.

5. Next, next, next, next ... (don’t change anything) ignore warning messages about USB n stuff.

6. Launch the image creating process (the comp will reboot in dos mode) takes about 45 min to create the image.

I cannot explain Dannik's or Spectre way of making a backup image. I did not try Knoppix Linux or Partition Magic yet.

Edited by RatoN

1. Install Norton Ghost (Norton System Works)

2. Insert a DVD in the burner.

3. Start Norton Ghost

4. Select the partition (C:) to be saved, and specify that you want to create an image on a CD/DVD or on the hard disk, as you see fit.

5. Next, next, next, next ... (don’t change anything) ignore warning messages about USB n stuff.

6. Launch the image creating process (the comp will reboot in dos mode) takes about 45 min to create the image.

I cannot explain Dannik's or Spectre way of making a backup image. I did not try Knoppix Linux or Partition Magic yet.

Okay, thanks, I might just give this a whirl :)

I don’t like Norton’s product, but I have to admit that Ghost is A1+

After that you can remove Norton Ghost from your PC if you wish. The image on the DVD as a stand alone disk boot and image installation prog.

Just don’t change your partition size after the image is created. Norton Ghost is very sensitive to partition size, and as to recognise the original partition that it was created from.

Why don't you mates slipstream your WinXP cd's with BartPE and add things like zonealarm that will install when you install windows? just an idea.