Poll on Map types

What terrain would you like  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i picked woodland but i would like to see a variety of enviroments including jungle and city. But i would be happy if they avoided desert and snow becuase they are very boring and in those enviroments there is little interesting cover other than hills - very boring to play.

A number of mission with changing light would be very fun(i think Far Cry had some). Night mission if done right can be thrilling, with a tad of stealth of cource and then folllowed by 1000 rounds of tracer!!!!!!!

Edited by Top_Cat

me like raiding village  :pirate:  :drunk:

Me too. :)

Now that it seems that we are getting woodlands, it would be great to see a setting like the movie 'SAVIOR'. It is a film set in wartime Serbia and has wonderful settings featuring plenty of woodlands, high mountains, stone villages and rivers. There are lots of areas to set up ambushes, be stealthy and have a GR1-type gameplay. This description does not give a clear picture of how gorgeous and adventurous the surroundings are and the movie has to be seen to get a better idea.

i didn't vote i want urban :(

You should turn that sad smilie into a happy smilie, why, because GRAW is total urban because the whole game plays out in mexico city, so total urban. I guess by the time a gamer has completed the missions and then some, the gamer will be longing for some new territory, woodlands, jungle etc.

I voted for woodland forest but I would like to make it a combination between woodland and snow.

God I'm having a brain fart...you mean tundra right?

You should turn that sad smilie into a happy smilie, why, because GRAW is total urban because the whole game plays out in mexico city, so total urban. I guess by the time a gamer has completed the missions and then some, the gamer will be longing for some new territory, woodlands, jungle etc.

Then map makers can make desert and woodland maps anyway since mod tools are being included.

C'mon UBI let's go GOLD!!!

Edited by Papa6

I voted for Woodland. Still I just hope we get all of them in time! :D Just as we got DS, IT and a whole lot of extra mods from the community! I really hope GR|AW gives our beloved modders the oppertunity to be creative in the future also!

Visit the sheeps Cave website --> :sheep: (funny that this sign is here!)

I voted for library buildings so I could kick open doors, throw in a bang and cuff all their sorry arses! :o=

:huh: Oops! Wrong forum!

I voted for Tropical Jungle as I thought the maps and immersion in IT were the best. Being a diehard VietCong fan also steered me in that direction.

But in another way, I agree with Hawker, gimme urban as well.

I like woodland-maps when they're kinda small like "Creekbed" but I don't like huge, open woodland maps like that stock (I think) GR map with the big evergreen forest. I guess I greatly prefer limited-sight-distance maps with alot of hard cover and the higher intensity of more CQB-type encounters.

Edited by chiles4

Woodland. I like forest maps, but I'm kinda tired of jungles. A nice woodland forest with some dense undergroth could make both those who want jungle and those who want woodland very happy. :) We're going to need some longer assault rifles, bigger scopes and an optional bipod ofcourse. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Snow is alright, but it's hard to get it realistic I think. It's just silly when the ingame characters are doing the Legolas thing walking on top of the snow (moving thru one meter of snow wouldn't be much fun either though... lol), and the snow is just a plain texture without any dynamics at all. <_<

Edited by Zaxis

I don't know about you guys but I've always enjoyed urban combat more than anything else. It's up beat and there is always action. Not sure what the map sizes are but if you've ever played AA maps like Mout Mckenna, and Urban Assault were really fun. Will there be any kind of objective type multiplayer game modes for GRAW?

Now Battlefield 2 is a great game but it has alot of problems and the one that bothers me the most is you can't always hear the bullets that are flying past your head and you almost always see your life dwindling down to nothing and its like you hear nothing except artillary in the background raining down on unlucky soldiers. Again in America's Army the sound is one of its best qualities. Then again AA maps are alot smaller but that doesn't mean bullets that are flying past someone's head a mile away from where they were shot aren't going to hear a whiz or anything... or would they?

True urban environment. Each building should have an interior. No unbreakable windows and no doors that cant be opened.

I think fighting in large open spaces, for ground troops anyway, is a thing of the past. The troops will be used to secure the cities and clear buildings. Control of open ground will fall upon armor and air assets. IMHO

Edited by chilly-willy

I voted snow cos we already had desert in Desert Siege and jungle in Island Thunder.

I never really liked woodland cos everything's moving; getting paranoid of that !

Tho I'd get along with that (especially if there would be some swamp maps)

Fortunately Ive always been a fan of urban maps (like Embassy) and I'm sure I'll love GR: AW :)

Snow would be a great, especially in a high altitude mountain region, and those white camo's/guns just rock!!

As for trees, well, GR was choc full of those blighters......and I really don't care for them much in combat! <_<

I would also like to see a cross of Urban and desert which reflects the majority of the middle eastern conflicts which are current.

Snow 4 me too

Because of the fact that the 'Frostbite' mod still stays a great and is one of the best GR mods imho & because I'd like to see that the El-Nino effect takes place @ Mexico-city. [not irl, but simply in-game]

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

This is my first post here, but I have been checking this website for decades (hmm.. almost :-) GR.NET has always been my primary source of GR related informaton. Now, back to the topic :rolleyes:

I have voted for woodland forest because I think this particular environment proved (in GR1) to be the most immersive and difficult landscape to fight in. Adversely the desert environment in Desert Siege were just too easy because the enemy had nowhere to hide and were easily picked out with a sniper :devil:

The forest maps/missions in GR1 were - IMO - the best. I remember the first time I stood in the forest of the M01: Iron Dragon mission. The trees and bushes were swaying in the wind making me jump all the time thinking I saw enemy movement. That was awesome - and something I never experienced in a computer game before :ph34r:

So I think some dense forest/mountain which would provide for both close combat (amongst the trees/bushes) and long range fighting (sniper posts/nests in the mountains) would be ideal.

Perhaps I am just getting a little tired of fighting in urban environments (R6, SWAT4, Ravenshield, GRAW?) :whistle:

Best regards

Mike

added my vote on jungle, basically because we know that urban is going to be most of it so far.....

however an "all of the above" vote would have been nice

least fav of the bunch would be MOUNTAIN snow (snow anywhere else would be great....more of a texture than a "map choice" to me)

I like the slower more tactical points of having to move thru heavy cover as a counter point to the CQB of urban maps

I wouldn't like to choose from these good options, but would like to have them all and more. :thumbsup:

Had to choose jungo though, because the tropical environment is just so fascinating. (and it's good to sneak around there :ph34r: )

Edited by Machine

Out of those choices, woodlands is the better of the 4. It provides a good ambiance while also providing good cover and more chances at stealth.

I personally prefer urban environments, with closed in alleys and multi-level buildings. Gives a nice suspenseful approach into a city.