TeamXbox MP Hands-on

Arachneya

Since we're getting bombarded with GRAW multiplayer news, there's a 5-page preview @ TXB that reiterates a lot of stuff we've gathered from the OXM, IGN and Gamespot articles. However, there's a few new new screenshots as well (screenshots 58-64).

Final Map Names (recommended player size):

1. Boneyard (2-8)

2. Desert Gulch (6-16)

3. Drydock(6-12)

4. Fishing Village (8-16)

5. Nowhere (6-12)

6. Old Town (8-16)

7. Rocky Cove (6-14)

8. Temple (6-12)

9. Treasury (8-16)

10. Wharf (6-12)

:: 4 large, 5 medium, and a small one. These maps are not part of the 4-mission Nicaraguan campaign (online co-op only).

Edited by Arachneya

Correction: Old Town, Wharf, Treasury, and Temple are the Co-op campaign maps, however, in adversarial play, some have been shrunk for good gameplay (sectioned off). All of the Co-Op campaign maps are also available in all adversarial and co-op game modes (all 1000+ combinations of them).

Correction:  Old Town, Wharf, Treasury, and Temple are the Co-op campaign maps, however, in adversarial play, some have been shrunk for good gameplay (sectioned off).  All of the Co-Op campaign maps are also available in all adversarial and co-op game modes (all 1000+ combinations of them).

So, you're saying we will have two versions of those four maps to use in adversarial?

Server option? :please:

"One big key to the fun has to do with unmanned surveillance robots that hover above the battlefield. These cameras work for each team, pointing out the position of enemy soldiers and highlighting them in real-time. This data coincides with data on the map as well. What the bot sees can be seen in the Cross-com view. The bot’s flight path can also be adjusted by painting an area of the map (by placing your reticle in a specific direction) then giving the command to seek out set waypoint with the D-pad. The bot will search the terrain for enemies, and relay this important information back to the team. When not showing the bot’s work, the Cross-Com will fill you in on what your teammates are into. This comes in handy, as it allows gamers to be in multiple places at once."

Correction:  Old Town, Wharf, Treasury, and Temple are the Co-op campaign maps, however, in adversarial play, some have been shrunk for good gameplay (sectioned off).  All of the Co-Op campaign maps are also available in all adversarial and co-op game modes (all 1000+ combinations of them).

So, you're saying we will have two versions of those four maps to use in adversarial?

Not on all of them, but because we designed the maps for co-op missions, some of them were not balanced for MP play, we we blocked off a certain section of the map for MP play, so you will have the best of both experiences. Similar to the difference between Railway and "Railway Valley" from GR2.

Server option?

Of course.

Does that mean the maps will be confined to force everyone to be on top of each other all the time in mp like in some BF2 maps? (in some you get the 'desertion' messege even at rediculously short distances away).

I hope some mp maps will give breathing room for some stealth TDM action rather than ensuring that the players are always in sight of each other.

Finally in those mp vids we get to see what GRAW really looks like and it's pretty nice, a bit colorful but very solid and nice. Reminds me slightly of BF2 only nicer.

I was very happy to see in the mp maps that those crouching tended to kill those running. That's ace news.

I really hope the red 'audio direction indicator' can be turned off. I hate it. Also, no one seemed to be fireing single shots. I do hope it has that option.

All in all GRAW is looking very tasty.

Can we only play co-op on those 3 maps?
Like Maulasses said, online co-op is limited to those 4 maps (Old Town, Temple, Treasury, and Wharf). That's because there's a story sequence here, not just a bunch of enemy thrown into a map and voila - co-op support. Christian did mention those 4 maps have will have a few sections cut off to support adversarial play without the need to spend an enternity looking for the other team ([GR]'s Big River, anyone?) Edited by Arachneya

There are 10 MP maps. All 10 have adversarial and co-op modes. 4 of those 10 are additionally available as co-op campaign missions, that have an interlinked storyline. They range in size from smaller to Summit Strike SP size (don't have the exact size numbers handy). Hope that helps clear things up.

I know this is a conosle forum Christian but as i'm one of the ones stilllllllllllllllllllllllll waiting for GR2 on the pc i have no frame of refference when summit strike map sizes are mentioned. I lurk here for GRAW info cause PC info is scarce.

Will any of the mp maps be as big as 'Village'? which i consider to be a medium sized map.

I know this is a conosle forum Christian but as i'm one of the ones stilllllllllllllllllllllllll waiting for GR2 on the pc i have no frame of refference when summit strike map sizes are mentioned. I lurk here for GRAW info cause PC info is scarce.

Will any of the mp maps be as big as 'Village'? which i consider to be a medium sized map.

GR1 maps were limited to 400x400. We no longer have that limitation. An example is Bunker Hill on Summit Strike, it was 800x300.

That's great to hear.

It's been an up and down journey as far as expectation about GRAW is concerned but news like this and the recent footage have me feeling very positive indeed.

ahem . . . although you understand i'm still not sold on the idea of console gaming, i'll be GRAW'ing on de other side.

most of the PC maps are around 600x600 but this info is on the PC forum.

Yeah Colin but i dont wanna have to search throgh masses and masses of forum posts in the pc section in order to get the size of a pc gr1 map just so i can give a casual reply to a post in the console forum.

Not only that but knowing the size of the pc gr1 maps would still not give me a frame of refference as i wouldn't know the summit strike map size.

Surely you arn't suggesting that i first trawl through the GR2 forums to get the average size of a GR2 map then trawl through the GR1 pc forums to get the size of GR1 maps then come back and make my post.

There are 10 MP maps.  All 10 have adversarial and co-op modes.  4 of those 10 are additionally available as co-op campaign missions, that have an interlinked storyline.  They range in size from smaller to Summit Strike SP size (don't have the exact size numbers handy).  Hope that helps clear things up.

Thanks Serellan. The game is really looking great. It is also good to know that we can play the MP maps with co-op modes.

I am a bit dissapointed with the co-op campaign missions. 4 co-op missions seems really short. Every GR since the beginning has had co-op for every SP mission. It just seems like this part of the game was skipped over, and thats my favorite part! We all have to sacrifice sometime in our lives though. :P

Yeah 4 sp co op misions does seem a bit skimpy. My guess is that there was only four that could be simple enough to sync everything up so that multiple people could get in on the action.

Seems abit of a backward step though that in GR1 more could be done.

Ah well, i prefer TDM anyway and i cant wait to get exploring some of those city areas.

The previews I have read suggested that the Co-Op campaign was an entierly new campaign not related to the offline campaign and that the 4 missions avaiable from the start should be thought of as 'Chapter 1' suggesting that further 'chapters' of the Co-op campaign will be available for download as time goes on.

I hope this is correct as I, like many others, feel that the Co-op campaign of the previous games is the strongest element and the one that keeps me coming back for more.

You're absolutely correct, picicata. There is a singlepayer campaign and an additional multiplayer campaign. The mutliplayer campaign will only have 4 missions upon release with the promise of more to come. As far as the singleplayer campaign is concerned, I can't remember how many missions there are, but it's in the 10 to 15 range.