Suggestion (for GR4?)

Damnit, damnit, damnit. I just thought of my suggestion for what I want to see in GR:AW. I don't recollect seeing anyone suggest this before, so if someone did, shoot me down. I wish I had thought of this months ago.

I know this is WAYYYYY late, but with all the improvement with movement options and postures, it seems to me that one fairly obvious one has been left out: rolling onto your back.

Imagine being prone on your belly, and a sniper pops up in a window in a building behind you. What are our options now? Stand, exposing yourself to the fire you were hiding from, turn, and shoot? Slowly belly around toward the building while getting lit up from the window and hope you're not too close to get an angle?

Wouldn't it be far more natural (and faster) to roll onto your back and shoot up? I don't think that this position would be used all the time, but it seems that it would be the natural thing to do in certain situations, even when someone runs up directly behind you, but we don't, in any game I've played, have that option.

Like I said, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but maybe some day?

--Logos

Edited by Logos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just have some one cover the back door.

Seeing how you can direct your AI  extremly well this is well possible.

True. Since the Ghosts are a small unit, they utilize small unit tactics, meaning you should be covered.

Even if you're a sniper, you shouldn't be alone, but be with a spotter who is providing security for you.

So any way you go, your 6 should always be covered. Rolling over on your back to have to cover your 6 leaves you exposed and not watching where you were watching when you were on your belly. Not a good way to be in either case.

I would just have some one cover the back door.

Seeing how you can direct your AI  extremly well this is well possible.

True. Since the Ghosts are a small unit, they utilize small unit tactics, meaning you should be covered.

Rolling over on your back to have to cover your 6 leaves you exposed and not watching where you were watching when you were on your belly. Not a good way to be in either case.

I agree with your tactical preferences, but that in NO way negates the benefit of having this feature. You play multi-player? Ever been the last person alive on your team?

If the sniper in the window example means nothing to you, imagine a multi-player game, your the last on your team alive, one or two still live on the other team, and you're prone in a field with low cover, brush and whatnot, and your sweet Soundblaster X-Fi with it's positional sound lets you hear someone running up directly behind you, someone who may not know you're there. You can stand up where they definitely can see you, turn, and try to shoot them, or you can roll onto your back and have decent chance of catching them by surprise as they run up on you.

Even if the situational need of this feature is infrequent, there are times when it's the best option, and I don't see any reason why it's undoable insofar as the game engine goes. I could see someone being contrary in this thread in the form of saying, "oh, that's already been suggested a hundred times. Where have you been?" But to suggest that the feature has no use? I don't get it.

--Logos

I dont think the move would be that good, from my drawing.

mkdxmo.jpg

Unfortunately, the only thing that I can really see in your pic is that one of your soldiers is having a bad hair day.

Look, no pics necessary, go outside and face away from some building, let's say your house. Now, kneel, then lay down prone, chin up, pretend you're holding a rifle if you like, with your feet pointed toward your house, your upper body pointed toward the street. Can you see your house? No. Can you see above your house? No. Pretend your index finger is a gun. Can you point a gun at your house? No. Now, roll over on your back. Can you see your house? Yes. Could you see the scary sniper on your rooftop? Yes. Can you point a gun at the sniper on your rooftop? Yes. And you can do that all a heck of a lot quicker than scooching around on your belly, and without exposing yourself the way you would by standing up and turning around.

--Logos

Edited by Logos

alright but wat if the sniper was infront of you, keeping you pinned down, and a rifleman attacks from behind, you have a very decent chance at killing him while the sniper is unable to do anything about it.....

another thing to remember even if you used it once in 10 matches, surely that once is enuf to justify it being in the game, it isn't a massive resource hog to have a script to allow rolling onto your back, and cud be useful and unique......

I still see it beeing fairly useless.

Then, you're actually in agreement. Fairly useless = occasionally useful. That's what I've been saying.

I don't see this as something that we would use a lot, but there are occasions where it's useful, and since it's not, as Snowy said, a massive resource hog to have a script to allow rolling onto your back, there's no reason not to have it, except that I didn't freaking think of it 6 months ago when they were asking for suggestions. :wall:

--Logos

Then, you're actually in agreement. Fairly useless = occasionally useful. That's what I've been saying.

I don't see this as something that we would use a lot, but there are occasions where it's useful, and since it's not, as Snowy said, a massive resource hog to have a script to allow rolling onto your back, there's no reason not to have it, except that I didn't freaking think of it 6 months ago when they were asking for suggestions. :wall:

--Logos

in this scenario where someone is shooting at you from above and from behind while you are engaging targets in front of you, the proper position would be in the "kiss your own A** goodbye" position, as you will soon be assuming room temperature.

If a sniper pops up behind your chances are your already done for.

let alone making a good shot in that short time probly dang near impossible.

Agreed. To me, you shouldn't even need a move like that at all. If you get yourself into that position where you need to waste time rolling over, in the first place, your hosed. And playing a TAC SIM, you shouldn't find yourself in that kind of a position, if you are practicing tactics.

If you are that close to a building, and facing a threat down-range, you should either A)be inside the building using it for cover, or B) at the very least, be backed up against the wall where you couldn't be snuck up on to begin with. Same with a cliff a hill, etc.

Tort is right. If you need that move, chances are your ass is owned. And if the sniper on the roof really wants to own you, and he's got position, he's going to see you move, and waste you before you complete the move.

Besides that, if you are in a firefight in front of you, how the hell would you know about the sniper on the roof behind you? Well, I guess the folks that use the threat indicator would, maybe. Except that threat indicator isn't going to tell you the sniper is on the roof, it's only going to tell you that there is a threat behind you. You still have to find it. And if it is a sniper, you would never find it in time anyway.

Your a human being, you can move anyway you need to, to save your ass. So ... seeing as they want realism and more options for movement in GRAW then this is missing and would be logical to have it in, either now or later.

Cant see why debate against it ... its all good for enhancements.