Ghost Recon.net Forums

Things the friendlies do that bug you

This one has happened to me a few times, even after dumbing down enemy marksmanship and loosening their weapon accuracy:

I assign Bravo to cover an arc or move to a position and hold while my team does something else. On the threat indicator I see flashes and hear a steady line of single shots from an enemy weapon. 5, 7, 10...No impact near me so the shooting must be at Bravo. Only problem is I don't hear them shooting back, even if they're on suppress. With every ananswered shot, I get madder and madder and more and more desperate.

So I start running back knowing if they are taking steady aimed fire and not shooting back, they will eventually be picked off. All the while I'm screaming "Shoot back you idiots!" It's like one of those nightmares where you're running and running but can't get anywhere.

One by one the screen tells me, "Team member out of action" until I arrive to find only one or no guys left. I kill the baddie, but its too late for the other guys. Why do I have to stop what I'm doing to babysit them? I gave them an order, dammit!

Edited by budgie

Wow...cool off there Budgie!

Um, what I do in that situation is just move 'em closer to the action, and make them go prone. That exact situation has happened to me many times. But you might try an "enemy realism mod". They do work, and I know Alfa FSB just released another one a couple days ago. It dumbs them down significantly...well to a more realistic level. But seriously, try moving them a bit closer to the fray...just my experience. Use it if you want. ;)

Also, you don't need to go running back - just hit the #2 key, sort it out then go back to your team. This is why whenever possible I leave my teams on recon (#7) as they will stop and go prone if they see enemy and let you know. That way you can jump to that team and check it out before they lose any men.

Having said all that there are times, I agree, that they can appear very stupid and it can be frustrating. I guess the AI is not perfect :wub:

Jack :)

What ###### me off is that sometimes the baddie would right there, right in their field of fire, in the open, and shooting, and those team mates wouldn't even fire. Some times I would jump to Bravo and see the enemy right infront of me, with the reticle on him...one shot..one shot! That was all it took for me to finish that enemy off, but I guess the AI was having a conscience attack and was contemplating that that baddie has a mother and sister and family and such....damn AI.

Out.

Lol, im with SOTOMac, iv'e given up giving my AI any important tasks and just let them act as mobile targets while i get on doing the important stuff myself, either that or i just go in on my own and spend a bit more time getting it done.

I think thats why iv'e pretty much stopped playing any sp (apart from practice) and just play with people who know what their doing online.. ;)

Actually, I have found that the AI are best at just "guarding a corner" or field of fire and they do that with great ease. Just place 'em and leave 'em. But occationally, they AI go clus******* and you have to improvise.

...but of course, I also personally hand out the medals at the AA-briefing... :lol:

I hate how, when on suppress, AI will move out into the line of fire, I guess to get a better shot at the enemy. Whilst doing this, they get sprayed with bullets. I manually have to lead each of my teammates sometimes and it gets frustrating. However, I usually get saved by my AI teammates on every map once or twice so its good to have em with me. They can really be a help but usually are a nuisance. <_<

I agree with Budgie...more then once my Bravo team was picked out one by one usually by single Tango, and they did nothing about it..even when a single shot could save them...it is frustrating.

That's why I abandoned using Bravo team all together...I just go in with one 3-men team (Alfa). I found out that if I take two good AI operatives with me (with combat values 5 or above), they can be quite usefull...like sometimes I find myself in a situation when Tangos are advancing at me from two different directions, so I let my AI team mates to "decide" and start covering one direction, and I atend to another. We usually cover each other flanks quite well.

I agree with SIX. Although MP is still very fun, I like to be the commander and lead my teams. If your not in a clan that practices strategies and tactics, you usually have one or two in a MP game that don't listen to advice that you have, and wind up dying like the rest. MP is only fun when playing with smart Gr.net goers who are open to strategies and other's opinions. :D

the thing i hate most about the GR AI (or all of GR for that matter) is when friendlies get stuck. You have to go back for them if they are hostages. :wall:

now i know GR was an improvement over RS but it's still not perfect!

^ definately can get annoying...Sometimes I'll continue playing-oblivious to the fact that one of my teammates is halfway across the map, still stuck in a crevice or trying to run through a wall. Then I have to switch to that person, get him out and my other teammates will have already met me back at that spot, eliminating any progress I had gained. Sometimes I wanna smack the screen... :angry::wacko::blink::angry:

THE MOST irritating part of that to me is when the team member AI can "see through the wall" and he is waisting his ammo like a somoli on drugs! You can switch to help him because you are in a situation where you CAN see the baddies and you are in a real fire fight. Mean while "I'm with stupid" is making a nice pattern on the wall!LOL! ROFLOL!

When I first started playing GR I tried to go for the full team and use strategery and all it got me was a big headache. The friendly AI is far too stupid to take care of themselves unless they have high stats and even then they're of draftee quality. So nowadays I never work with more than 2 teamates (unless I'm playing online with real people that know what in the hell they're doing.), and they have to have atleast a 5 in weapon/stealth to be combat effective. I really hope that for GR2 they spend time on dumbing down the enemy AI and smartening up the friendlies.

Again, my problem is not what I can do to help the AI, but how they should be able to do things for themselves. Of course I can switch teams and identify the threat (although by the time I've realized the problem, I usually switch just in time to die), of course I can hold them back and keep them alive by not using them, but I dont want to. I want them to do what I tell them. It's not that hard; Move to position, watch your field of fire, shoot. I can take out one baddie by myself, so why can't three of them do it?

I'm an SP guy all the way and having an effective team is part of the immersion factor. I don't like switching operatives mid game for any reason (I'm forced to do it for some demo and all AT jobs). If I die, start again. I also feel I have to start again if the friendlies die stupidly. If they get jumped from behind, are too slow to escape a well placed grenade, then fair enough, I let them die. But when they could have done a lot more to save themselves, I get frustrated. Remember they will be replaced with someone even stupider if they do die.

Edited by budgie

Its always a great feeling when your team actually DOES what they are supposed to. I've actually been in firefights, and my riflemen will lob grenades from their GL and take out 4 or 5 guys at a time. I'm like "Hell Yeah, go ahead then" and they will do the rest. Munz is the man, he always pulls through for me and never does stupid stuff. He always saves my back in a tight situation. I think it would be great if a tank were to appear and a demo would automatically take it out when equipped with a rocket launcher. That would really of helped back in m03. ;)

Those are the moments that make me keep coming back, Killa. shame they are marred by those 'other' moments the AI have.

And yeah, because I don't like switching teams I'd like to order the demo boys to take out tanks while I do my own thing. It wouldn't be a great idea to let them decide when to do it as they might miss, stand too close, fire through walls or choose the wrong moment, thus bringing a world of Russian payback down on me.

Edited by budgie

Hello WidowMaker and welcome to the Forums...enjoy your stay and feel free to grab a cup of Java, Gold Coast Blend :D

On topic now, I find that this arrangement works the best for me:

Alpha: Me and another rifleman

Bravo: Will Jacobs or a good leader with 3 to 6 points, My Support expert, and a demo expert

Charlie: My Sniper

Alpha is the Recon or Primary engagement team, while Bravo is for Support or assistance with a larger force, as well as special tasks (i.e. demo placement etc.)

Charlie is just a support role as well. That was the original purpose of a sniper...a support role to a larger squad, not to complete a mission with 36 kills with just a sniper. :wall:

Just put 'em on Suppress/Advance at all costs and place them in covered positions to take out them baddies!

Edited by Dark Ranger

Thank´s Dark Ranger :D . Beleve me I have tried almost everithing, I even tought there is a bug in game, or even my foult but when I discuss it with my friends who also love to play GR, we came to previously mentioned solution.

Of course teammates must be at least 4 points or higher and than AI works somehow useful. I honour Your way of dealing with baddies, but I´m maybe little short on nerve department and don´t have patience to wait for them to do something.

My teammates are usualy Rifleman and Support,

Support, Sniper

Demolitionist, Support

depending of goals of the mission. I am usualy a rifleman.

Thank´s again Dark Ranger I´ll try Your way it may work for me too. Hope we´talk again. Bye :o=

My Setup is similar, my team goes ahead for the primary tasks and Bravo stays a little behind to be brought forward for firefights. Of course most missions can be accomplished with a two or three man alpha team, but I like realsim and that means realistic tactics. I bring a full squad, and I don't like losing men to dumb mistakes on their part.

Anyway this is getting off topic. Anyone else spotted funny AI quirks? If they have any sense, the people at UBI read these forums from time to time and may address these problems in GR2, so bring 'em on.

Edited by budgie