Extracting Vocals From Songs

element11

Hey all,

A friend of mine is directing a musical: the night before christmas. She asked me if i would be able to take the voices out of the music. I realize there is no real reliable way to do this without possibley taking instruments with it, but i said id give it a try. I have acid pro 4.0, and i was just wondering is there a better way to do this than just using a plugin? Because it doesnt work :(

Edited by element11

I'm not entirely sure how they do it in recording studios. I have Acid Pro 5, Sound Forge 8 and Vegas 6 and I still can't figure it out. From what I gather (and from what I've experimented with), removing vocals from songs is done throught several "effect" modules. I'm not sure a plugin would do it, although a aplugin may aid the process.

Reducing bass will reduce all bassy sounds (including bass tones of a persons' voice) and beats etc; reducing mid will reduce the sounds like cymbals, hihat rides etc; reducing treble will reduces all vocals. The best way in which I've almost accomplished removing vocals from songs/removing the song so as to leave behind the vocals is to do a mixture of those afformentioned things.

Edited by WytchDokta

Unless you have the master with all sperate tracks of the music so you can mute out all other tracks apart from the vocal track then its a no-no.

Some plugns claim to be able to strip out vocals from a stereo track but wont be very good.

Its like trying to pull out a single color from a final painting (if you get me).

Unless you have the master with all sperate tracks of the music so you can mute out all other tracks apart from the vocal track then its a no-no.

This is also what I have heard from professionals. I have tried to do this myself. It's hard enough just removing background noise ...

Let me ask this ... if there are programs out there that claim to be able to strip out vocals from songs (i.e., for karaoke), why can't the exact opposite be done?

Thats it ... they "claim".

I make music and do audio and Ive never known anything to do it successfully. The only time is when you can "blag it" if say the vocal in a track happens to be alot louder and its a track with not alot of instrumentation .. like folk for example. Even then you can use filtering, but it wont be perfect.

Most bootleg accapellas you get on vinyl are all supplied from master tapes of just the vocal track. Sometimes by remixers who were past the master, then make a sneaky recording of the vocal track only and "pass it onto mates" etc :ph34r:

Also if something like that exists that can do it that well, I doubt the music industry would shout about it, due to copyright and bootlegs etc etc.

Some plugns claim to be able to strip out vocals from a stereo track but wont be very good.

Its like trying to pull out a single color from a final painting (if you get me).

Yes, this i already knew. But after screwing around for an hour, i have found an excellent combination of filters that completely removes all voices and does little to the other instruments, in this scenario with this type of music. I realize it wont work with all types of music, but anyways... What i did, was i found a plugin on the internet that did a fairly good job of removing the voices, but left a sort of robot-ish type sound to the lyrics. This was easily fixed by a -4 smooth/enhance filter, and it is almost perfect. All you hear is an extremely faint voice, but as this is a performance, the actors voices will drown it out.

I knew a DJ who used to do it.

anyways If I could find him I would ask him how he does it, IM sure he did it in Acid ... Only met him once thoe but he was really good at it.

Oh I know a certain someone who knows the (chemical brothers)

Dont want to ask him for their number... but hell ill do it anyways :rofl:

maybe they can help :rocky:

Edited by Prozac360

yep asked another DJ I know, thats what he said.

• 1 month later...

I've sampled a few pices and been near enough able to "silence" the music and leave the rapping. Bass sounds, like drums etc can be reduced significantly by reducing the bass using some sort of equaliser. One particular piece I've sampled, I greatly reduced the bass and mid, and a little of the treble. Reducing bass/treble/mid too much can distort the vocals alot. Hence, what I did, I managed to get it so you could only hear the higher pitched tones (hihats/cymbals etc) very slightly as the guy was rapping (the softer tones, bass drums etc could not be heard though). Had I have reduced the treble and/or mid even more, the vocals would have been very distorted. And I did this in GoldWave.

Hope this helps.

If you want, I can get the original piece of music I sampled (full drumming and rapping etc) and my edited version (full rapping, no drumming etc) and post them here to show you what I mean.