SOAF maps

ingeloop

hi guys!

is there anyone out there that has a clue on how to contact the

crew that has produced the SOAF maps????

some or all of these maps has been ported to fit GR and they

are really great maps.

from what i´ve heard these maps are a big no-no to use in mods.

why is that?

i know, at least i think so, how much work it is to produce maps, but

what´s the idea to let them gather dust and not use them?

i would app. any help in this matter, cos a permission mail will not

cost me anything.

best regards/ ingeloop

hi guys!

is there anyone out there that has a clue on how to contact the

crew that has produced the SOAF maps????

This would be Red Storm Entertainment. They created the retail game 'The Sum of All Fears' using the GR engine.

from what i´ve heard these maps are a big no-no to use in mods.

why is that?

The maps are the intellectual property of RSE. It would be a copyright violation to redistribute the maps from SOAF without direct permission.

thx for the info m8!

i´ll drop rse a line and ask, it can´t be more than a no.

EDIT

i logged on to their website, but could not find any mailadress

on who to contact about this matter!

does anyone know a good email?

Edited by ingeloop

RSE didn't make the Map-pack mod you are refering to.

Some-one else took the maps from SOAF and put them into a Mod and released it for GR because both games use the same engine.

I'm 99% sure the official RSE response will be something like ' If you own SOAF and Ghost Recon, you can move the SOAF Maps to your GR directory and play those maps in GR.

Redistribution of SOAF Maps is against copyright law so therfore illegal.'

In otherwords you could create a mission/multiplayer Mod that relys on someone owning both SOAF and GR and that they have set up their GR with the SOAF Maps installed, then people can play your mod, but you wont be allowed to put the SOAF maps into a mod and redistibute that mod.

Edited by BornToKill

RSE didn't make the Map-pack mod you are refering to.

Some-one else took the maps from SOAF and put them into a Mod and released it for GR because both games use the same engine.

I'm 99% sure the official RSE response will be something like ' If you own SOAF and Ghost Recon, you can move the SOAF Maps to your GR directory and play those maps in GR.

Redistribution of SOAF Maps is against copyright law so therfore illegal.'

In otherwords you could create a mission/multiplayer Mod that relys on someone owning both SOAF and GR and that they have set up their GR with the SOAF Maps installed, then people can play your mod, but you wont be allowed to put the SOAF maps into a mod and redistibute that mod.

Yep, that would pretty much be the response.

Someone made a tool that would automatically move the maps when both games are installed, you might try that.

Serellan, I know it's not your demense, but is there a contact at Ubisoft that may be the first step to seeing the RSE assets that are SOAF released into the general field, under a GNU, Creative Commons, or similar licence? I know it's a long shot, but having the SOAF maps/content 'out there' would likely extend the validity and commercial qualities of GR. Just an idea.

/Trying for the love of the community, not trying to take food out of anyone's mouth.

In the little mod "The Punisher" by Streinger and myself, I've used a SOAF map. The way I adopeted in order to avoid any copyright issue is an evolution of the batch file (who knows DOS can understand me) called VisualBasic script.

You need to have installed SOAF to play that little mod.

Serellan, I know it's not your demense, but is there a contact at Ubisoft that may be the first step to seeing the RSE assets that are SOAF released into the general field, under a GNU, Creative Commons, or similar licence?  I know it's a long shot, but having the SOAF maps/content 'out there' would likely extend the validity and commercial qualities of GR.  Just an idea.

/Trying for the love of the community, not trying to take food out of anyone's mouth.

Why would someone do that (from a business standpoint)? The product is still for sale.

It is cheap, pick up a copy. ;)

You should be able to easily make a mod using the maps using the system that GiWeDa mentioned.

that can be the case im sure, but the thing is this my good people.....

i do not have PC and i will never get one, though my son is lobbying

like a crazy for me to get him one :)

PC is a no-no for me for diff. reasons. nuff said about that.

from what i can understand, SOAF was only released to PC and not Mac.

that´s why i just can´t get a copy and play away and use maps.

i do thank you guys for coming with various input in this matter.

the reason that i asked is that i have some of these no-no maps in

my SANDF mod and GiWeDa kindly pointed out that it´s not so wise

to have them there.

i will therefor remove them and fill up with some stock maps or other ones.

best regards/ ingeloop

RE: SOAF maps in SANDF Mod...

... the reason that i asked is that i have some of these no-no maps in

to have them there... i will therefor remove them and fill up with some stock maps or other ones.

@Ingeloop, to me taking those maps/missions out of SANDF would be a darn shame for people who do own both games. You fellows put a ton of work into scripting those missions for SANDF, and IMHO your mission on weapons factory map, SA03-Wyvern Moonlight, is sweet, sweet, amazing! I loved the way the rescued SANDF guys will load up & help... didn't care for what happened the 1st 8x though... Janie42 was too slow... ah, about those mini-nukes! I think many people have no idea those maps are from SOAF vs. maps made by regular (brilliant) community modders. What about a "Don't play unless you own both" kind of disclaimer, or asking some whiz (like GiWeDa) to make your missions be like GiWeDa's latest QM Punisher which cannot be played w/out both games?

RE: SOAF maps in SANDF Mod...

... the reason that i asked is that i have some of these no-no maps in

to have them there... i will therefor remove them and fill up with some stock maps or other ones.

@Ingeloop, to me taking those maps/missions out of SANDF would be a darn shame for people who do own both games. You fellows put a ton of work into scripting those missions for SANDF, and IMHO your mission on weapons factory map, SA03-Wyvern Moonlight, is sweet, sweet, amazing! I loved the way the rescued SANDF guys will load up & help... didn't care for what happened the 1st 8x though... Janie42 was too slow... ah, about those mini-nukes! I think many people have no idea those maps are from SOAF vs. maps made by regular (brilliant) community modders. What about a "Don't play unless you own both" kind of disclaimer, or asking some whiz (like GiWeDa) to make your missions be like GiWeDa's latest QM Punisher which cannot be played w/out both games?

i get your point and im also kinda sad, cos i know how much work richmondskin put

in to script some very nice missions.

it´s a shame that these maps are so good and well made.

but on the other hand, people have tried before to use them and ask for permission

and the answer has been no. gotta respect the owners of the maps.

maybe one or two or more of the guys/girls at this community has some more ideas

on how i/we should do?

Yes, but the maps you & richmondskin included are from a SOAF-GR Map Pack someone else ripped & then carefully edited so it would run proper FF/Recon .gtf for GR, and this SOAF-GR Map Pack is available at many sites. As well, the maps chosen very much support your campaign's storyline, which I think is excellent. Yeah, you guys tell a good story! I put your skins up for 2005 nomination too, as they are simply fantastic, as is how you set up the player files to have a nice mix of fellows: different uniforms, faces, attachments. Truly fantastic! (Can you tell I love your Mod?) Took out #16 sniper kit per GiWeDa's advice, added the patches, and it's been running a treat! On this SOAF maps end, of course I respect copyright, etc. That said, um, if we poor sods played on the console, we'd have had GRClassic, DS, IT, GR2, and Summit Strike maps already, and now, per Rocky's news item, more goodies are in the pipeline for consolers? Wonder why Ubi/RSE didn't simply release the SOAF maps as a GR MapPack expansion for a reasonable price? Maybe there's some legal mumbo jumbo that made it impossible? Anyhow, hope it works out for you... and I'm NOT forfeiting my version of your SANDF! :o=

• 2 weeks later...

The only possible way would be to use the way I used for Punisher but in this way you will have only around 200 downloads :(.

You can remove the maps, it's your choice.

As we spoke in the past (BTW let me finish Armenia - just 2 weeks before release I think) I'm supporting your work so I can easily go on with the small fixes for your great mod but not if you include SOAF's maps!

The only possible way would be to use the way I used for Punisher but in this way you will have only around 200 downloads :(.

You can remove the maps, it's your choice.

As we spoke in the past (BTW let me finish Armenia - just 2 weeks before release I think) I'm supporting your work so I can easily go on with the small fixes for your great mod but not if you include SOAF's maps!

no prob. there m8!

i value your/forum support more than the urge to have non-permission maps

in my mod.

the mod will not fall because of these maps.

the most important for me is to do the right thing :)

Question... is this option possible?

- Release Full (fixed-up) version of SANDF Mod MINUS only the missions & map folders using SOAF maps;

- Release also as a "Missions Only - Expansion" the missions using SOAF maps; these GiWeDa could maybe do the same "lockout" bit to that he has done w/his great mission "Punisher" so as to be playable only by legitimate owners of SOAF game?

This way, richmondskin's clever scripting work is not lost; SOAF owners do not suffer, but nor do those who do not have or choose to buy SOAF?

I know the topic of the use of SOAF maps in GR Mods has been beat to death, but I happened to notice the following contained in the modscont.txt file of the "Sum of All Fears Map Pack" by The CombatZone

// Mods Contents

NAME "Sum of All Fears Map Pack"

AUTHOR "Red Storm Entertainment"

SUPPORT "http://www.thecombatzone.net"

VERSION "1.00"

MULTIPLAYER "Server-Client"

Thanks goes out to Sam Copur and others at UbiSoft for allowing us to use the Sum of All Fears Maps for Ghost Recon play. Without his help this would not have been possible…

It reads to me like they had the blessing of UBI when putting this map pack together. There is no mention of having to own SOAF in order to play this mod and all SOAF maps are included in this mod.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

While I believe they have permission from Ubisoft, I've never seen an actual confirmation from any involved party. I'd love to see it, as it would change everything, modwise, coming from the SOAF maps.

While I believe they have permission from Ubisoft, I've never seen an actual confirmation from any involved party. I'd love to see it, as it would change everything, modwise, coming from the SOAF maps.

And you will likely never see any confirmation from Ubi either. AFAIK, Sam Copur (a really nice guy) no longer works at Ubi.

Serellan already has made it quite clear that the user needs to have purchased both games to use SOAF in GR. It's NOT hard to go buy a copy of both games. Last year, I stumbled upon and bought 12 copies of each ($10 at Staples with "Ubisoft Clearance" stickers on all of them) for friends for a LAN party and we had a blast playing both games. (They paid me back for the games, I'm not that loaded ;) )

This should NOT be an issue for PC gamers, as both games are available and very affordable. It is a bit tricky for Mac Recon fans though:

@ingeloop:

I think a potential solution to your dilemna is to see how Mauti was able to convert Island Thunder for Mac users. Remember that Island Thunder was NEVER officially ported to the Mac. Read this:

http://forums.3dretreat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4488

Mauti has created a patch and tutorial that allows Mac gamers to run the PC version of Island Thunder. We've known about this patch for some time but didn't post news about it because we were uncertain about the legal issues. Ubi Soft did actually send Mauti a cease and desist order shortly after he posted the patch.

Fortunately, he has informed us that after further discussions, Ubi Soft has agreed the patch itself is legal since it works like a mod. Of course, Mac gamers must first purchase the PC version of the game. You can read the whole story surrounding the patch here.

It is debatable if Aspyr will decide if it is worth making a conversion of IT for the Mac, so Mac gamers who want the full GR experience will benefit from this patch. According to Mauti, "The PC files work native on a Mac but several filenames are too long, textures with A1R5G5B5 alpha channels appear as red, and more. The IT Mac patch fixes all these troubles so every Mac user can play IT in its whole beauty."

You can try contacting Mauti about this, I'm sure he's still around somewhere ... Good luck :thumbsup:

thx for all the input guys :thumbsup: it's great to read.

but i think i'll go for a thought that i have had sincethe beginning

and that giweda has pointed out.

im going to remove the maps and kinda rewrite the campaign.

the mod can stand for itself without missions too, there are some

great skins and weapons inside.

and im planning to do a sequal to this mod, a kinda sandf 2.0 or

recce special forces.

cos now i have more experience and are better at everything.

but more info on this will come later :-)

why not keep the one with soaf maps and send out on special request to people with both games and post the non soaf version on grnet?

well, as much as it's a good idea m8, how does one check to see if

people have soaf installed?

im leaning towards all or nothing here.

i mean, both mac and pc user shall have the same copy.

right/wrong?