I get snow flakes so big, it lags my PC

Papa6

• 2 weeks later...

Nope...I'm using the 81.85 nvidia drivers and the same stuff about large snowflakes.

I remember back a few years that someone posted an issue with GR and their drivers. But the latest drivers (81.85)does the same thing to my FX5200

I have same card as Papa6; baseball-size snowflakes were gone w/previous update; then this latest version (81.98), damn things returned? I do so hate them, and can't see any improvements w/these latest drivers anyway? Am I missing something?

With each driver come "release notes". Like these:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/81.98/8...lease_Notes.pdf

These notes - often over 100 pages - state which issues have been resolved for each serie of graphic cards.

They also state new known issues.

With the release of new graphic cards, the first drivers often optimize the hardware.

Along the way, following driver versions solve software issues.

Thinking that the 81.98 version for the FX5200 card gives you better performance, is wrong.

I've got a second pc with a GeForce4 card that actually runs on Win XP's own Nvidia driver from January 2001 while my first pc's Radeon card runs on 3 year old ATI drivers.

So if your system works fine, there's no need to update the graphic drivers.

If there are issues, check the release notes of new drivers to see if your problem is mentioned and resolved.

@Papa6, do you (or anyone else) know whether such (sad) graphics cards as we have -GForce FX5200, 128mg- will be in trouble with GR:AW? (If there ever really is a GR:AW!)

Games are not developed for the hardware that comes to the market tomorrow.

Games are aimed at the huge market of consumers who do not update their hardware every second month because something "newer and better" is released.

Therefore games are backwards compatible and although no info re pc requirements for GRAW have been released, I'm pretty sure your card will run it fine. Probably even the previous generation, GeForce 4 will run it too.

Hardware requirements can be classified as:

minimum - midrange - optimal.

The lower the hardware, the more you'd have to compromise on graphics settings, in game (shadows etc) as well as screen resolution.

Edit: Focus is more on sufficient RAM so min 1GB, better 2GB is what you should go for.

@GreyHaired, relieved to hear GR:AW should run ok, thanks, though our current rig is apparently sadly weak re RAM - 512 MB. :( Again, the .pdf d/l from your above link is really VERY helpful; I'd recommend it to anyone interested, for sure.

@GreyHaired, relieved to hear GR:AW should run ok, thanks, though our current rig is apparently sadly weak re RAM - 512 MB.  :(  Again, the .pdf d/l from your above link is really VERY helpful; I'd recommend it to anyone interested, for sure.

You're welcome.

RAM at your side of the Atlantic are about half the price in Europe but of course it can still be a lot of money.

Take it as it comes once the game is released, just bear in mind that if you experience stuttering, your first thought should go to RAM and not a 300 bucks graphic card.

That's a great guide and the checks should be done regularly as especially that "startup" tends to have "refills".

For you with the fx5200 cards I found an article about easy optimizing/tweaking, using the Nvidia driver features (rather than using "RivaTuner"):

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/59/6/

On the following page

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/59/7/

you'll see a link to a util (hidden features) you have to download.

But this article was written based on the 44.xx drivers so your Nvidia features may look differently today.

Anyway hope you can use it.

@GreyHaired, tks! ... very thoughtful of you: more helpful links/dl's. I'm tempted to try the overclocking stuff, but there are quite a few warnings about potential "system instability"? Any thoughts?

It's got an "auto detect" feature.

When you get to that part, make a note of the present memory settings, use the auto detect feature and if the system gets unstable (meaning either artifacts or in worst case a spontaneous reboot) you can manually lower the settings bit by bit. Therefore it's important to make a note of the default settings.

Always at own risk of course :ph34r:

Ah, great, but this fool, who previously thought updating drivers auto. helped games play better, :wacko: really wants to know if overclocking will help (e.g., GR runs nice now 1024x768 but laggy on some user-made maps if set any higher, and FPS vary a lot, 25-75)? Maybe we're best off to leave all alone and buy another 512k RAM which (apparently) can be fitted into a slot? on the Dell board? by the rig owner?

RAM: you mean 512MB not 512k ;)

You can adjust a lot of settings in the game as it is.

Set shadows to "off" or "low" and other settings to "low" or "medium".

Reduce the number of bullet holes to 5.

Make sure "replay" is set to "off". Believe there's also something with blood that can be turned off or on (choose "off" then)

Make sure that the resolution in the video options of the game are set at 16 bit not 32, so "1024 x 768 x 16".

Finally right click your desktop, click properties-settings-advanced-monitor. Check the box: "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" then choose e.g. 85Hz if that one shows. Depending on your brand of monitor you may need the monitor's own drivers and not the plug-and-play one from Microsoft.

Yes there are great mods around but some of them demand a lot from the graphic cards.

Overclocking is "tuning" meaning you try to make the card perform better than its stock settings. If it works, it'll improve the fps.

Did you manage to solve the problem with the snowflakes?

RAM: you mean 512MB not 512k  ;)

See what I mean about "this fool"? Your help is really appreciated. My GR is running sweet in x16 colours w/all settings high but shadows turned off. We have character smoothing and mipmap both on - seems to be okay? Despite my reading, I've still no idea what antialiasing and anisotropic settings are best - did read WK77's report on this, too? Are set already at 75Hz - highest possible too. Okay, going to proceed w/overclocking. If I'm not back here in the next 2 days, you'll know I've wrecked our rig! And no, snowflakes disguised as baseballs are not gone, but, having read the specs on the new drivers via your link for .pdf, there are some improvements that we want, so the Ghosts will have to bear up under the weight of said monster snowflakes. Tks again.

Antialising and anisotropic filtering is what we call "eyecandy". It's heavy on the vid card so with all due respect I'd say as low as possible for your card.

Try to set some of the "high" settings to medium and see if it really makes that big of a visual difference compared with the gain in fps - fluency of the game.

Your top fps of 75 fits well with the resolution of 75Hz so it's not so much a question of boosting this over 75 but more of puishing those low values of 25 up to 40 or 50.

As to the drivers: you could try to roll back to a one year old version of the Omega drivers from http://www.omegadrivers.net that'll link you to http://www.driverheaven.net for the download.

Antialising and anisotropic filtering is what we call "eyecandy". It's heavy on the vid card so with all due respect I'd say as low as possible for your card.

Ha, if any respect at all is due! :rofl: Did the rollback from the links you gave... um, the baseball snowflakes are now gone :D and to my amateur's eye, I can't see any decrease in performance using these over the most recent nvidia drivers I had - and the FPS is a titch better? Still haven't a clue what to set the antialising and anisotropic at, so I chose "application controlled" and image to "quality." Works/runs/looks nice. Thanks.