cant get enemy actors to control fixed machineguns

Slick Rick

Hi all... have recently started making my first attempt at a mission in Igor after a long time of promising myself I would start getting into modding..

I have sussed that mission scripting is the easiest starting point in the world of GR modding and I am pleased to say it is going fairly well....

I do however have one problem and that is I can't get enemy actors to control fixed machineguns.... I have followed tutorials and have managed to get the enemies to man the MG's but they will not fire the damn things no matter what I try..

I have the Gunners set to a no weapons kit, is that right?.. I have their awareness locked on alert, Combat ROE set to Suppress and have them set to cover and have set the firing arc to less than 90 degrees as in the tutorial but they will not shoot me even when I am kneecapping the fools.

Annoying as this is the last thing I need to fix for my first ever mission to be complete...

It is, in case you are interested, called "Paper Trail". A fairly straight forward demo run/assasination/deathmatch firefight for the mp06 castle map.... keeping things simple for my first attempt though I have changed the main enemy in the mission to something a little more interesting. :D

If somebody hits me with a solution for this most annoying of problems I shall post it here in as much time it takes to correct it and upload the mod.

Cheers :wall:

Edited by Slick Rick

Tip : The answer can be found by using the Search facility in the top right hand of the GR banner m8

Here is the thing youve missed : make a DEFENCE STATION right on top of the cover arc, also less than 90 degrees.

I dont know if its the answer to this problem, but its the thing I noticed u hadnt mentioned so possibly...... :thumbsup:

hey, try tried this?

stance -locked upright

movement roe - at all costs

alertness - locked in combat

combat roe - suppress

cover

you can add a defence station if ya like, it will still work without it though. good thing about the defence station is if your guy on the gun gets shot, another member of that team will replace him on the weapon. ( make sure you give the defence station a priority of 1)

any problems pm me and we can sort it out.

take it easy. good luck. :thumbsup:

Yup.... I think it was the defence stations that were needed.... seems to work now.

Thanks for your replies..... here is the mission if anyone would like a blast and possibly let me know how it went..?

Paper Trail

Cheers!

:wacko: Crashed... :huh:

I had a little peek at it and as it was not so big and had a Tink with it, hope you do not mind. I ended up with about 9 files lol...

Problem is no one will be able to play it on multiplayer.

With no script, still crashes

With no script and no AI it loads

Problem with AI, all kits are fine.

a01_tourist01.atr

c_jack_stone.atr

Here you go, i changed these 2 actors to standard actors only and now it plays.

:santa:

Good luck with scripting.

Yeah some one on another forum told me about the a01_tourist01.atr file, I put that in there by mistake it was from a mod I had installed when I was doing the mission, :blink:

I have changed it now so that it works without any mods installed (other than DS & IT)

I can't explain why c_jack_stone.atr didn't work as that file is from the origimiss folder I think.. :huh: oh well I might change him to someone else..

Do I have to do anything to it to make it work on Multiplayer?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gunna steal this thread now. :D

I have a problem with the fixed machine guns. So far, on my map I have two in different places. One is in a wide open space and the other in an alleyway type place. Both have actors the same distance from the base, with the same plans. But the one in the open works while the other does not. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong as everything is exactly the same. Any suggestions?

:wall:

I'm gunna steal this thread now. :D

I have a problem with the fixed machine guns. So far, on my map I have two in different places. One is in a wide open space and the other in an alleyway type place. Both have actors the same distance from the base, with the same plans. But the one in the open works while the other does not. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong as everything is exactly the same. Any suggestions?

:wall:

If the plans are good, just try tweaking the placement of the actor and the defense station. Sometimes it is a little picky.l

Place a stationary gun somewhere on the map and place an actor very little behind it. Works in corridors, outside, in water.

Then make a plan for the actor:

Movement ROE All Costs

Stance locked into Upright

Alertness locked into Combat

Combat ROE Surpress

Cover

Note: the cover arc must be less than 90 degrees and it should be symmetrical to the facing of the gun!

Add a defense station, same arcs as the cover.

Give the actor noweapon.kit, he is more likely to cling on to the MG. If you sneak up on him from behind he will unman the gun but have no weapon to kill you, good for taking MG Gunners as Hostages.

Give him a weapon and he will not attempt to use it with all the above settings, however if you sneak up behind him and he knows your there, or you fire at him from behind and just miss, he will turn around and use his weapon!

Give the plan to a whole team of 6 and watch 1 man take the MG. When he dies another team member will try to take his position!

Sorry to go through it all again, but with these settings your MG Gunners will never fail! I`ve placed them in the most rediculous positions and they are still as active as ever.

As Serellen said, just try moving the actor slightly, i know if he is a little too forward, he doesn`t work the MG.

Good Luck.

:)