Getting a new computer

element11

Hi guys. I rally ned a new computer, since mine is a pentium 3 600, 256mb ram :lol:

I have been on the local computer stores website http://niagaraelectronics.com/ and have noticed a few rigs. I think this one below is good, but i would like an opinion of an expert

http://www.niagaraelectronics.com/downloads/files/Zeus.pdf

I am looking for a good gaming computer that will actually last a year or two without needing upgrades, and will obviously need to run GRAW. I am also looking for a computer that will not turn me broke.

Theres this one too which im sure is better, but is it worth the difference in price? I am willing to pay the extra money if it is worth it. The questioin is will the extra 400 bucks make a real difference in gaming performance? Please give me some advice.

http://www.niagaraelectronics.com/download...es/Xcaliber.pdf

Also, all prices are in CAD.

Edited by element11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m no expert but…

On the first one you don’t even have a video card! Well it’s onboard and that’s no good. If you choose the upgrade (ATI X700 Pro 256 Mb DVI PCI-Express), it will run the tab up by 200$

So you might as well go with the second one :unsure:

To tell you the truth, I don’t like em, just because both of them are prefab comps and what that mean is; the parts might be very particular and unique to that model and so are the drivers that goes with this machine, so if you want to upgrade one day, maybe you won’t be able to. At least not as easily upgradeable as a clone (PC made from quality parts) would. They don’t even tell you what brand of RAM are inside! And that would scare me.

So I would recommend that you buy your parts and get somebody to help you build your own PC. You will have a better machine for the same price and better control over what’s inside that box, hardware and software. Plus after that, you will know how to change the parts from your PC. If you can’t find somebody to help you build you rig, there is always the store technicians that can assemble the PC for you, but that is no fun.

To answer your question about if it's a good deal or no, I'm not sure, but I wouldn’t touch em with a 3589 foot pole just because I’ve had rely bad experiences with many prefab comps. So did people I know. They are ok for offices but for gaming … nah!

Even if they might be exelent gaming rigs, stay away from prefab comp bro.

same as first two, and I did the same thing your doing now, ask these folks.

Its scary at first, but it gets really interesting in the middle and almost climatic at the end...that was a bit over the top. :D

At the end of build, it feels ssssoooo good, that whatever you built, its going to last than those that has been sitting on the assembly line or store shelf.

There's plenty of folks here to help you.

I can testify to that also.

Here's my journey so you don't make my mistakes and get some good advice along the way.

Look for my post in the Computer section. Lots of learning there. :thumbsup:

AMD Socket 939, 600 SLI-Certified PSU, nVidia vidcards= cheap yet awesome gaming rig.

Ok, what do you guys think i should put into it?

I honestly know pretty much nothing about hardware. I am going to go with intel, and i need to know what kind of motherboard, ram, and i think im going to go with a nvidia card.

I need to know whats compatible.

Aslo does it matter what kind of case, and power supply i get?

Edited by element11

OK i have put together a rough outline which will be changed depending on what you guys think would be good or not.

Here goes

Case - 74.00

motherboard - I have absolutely no idea so please help me out. These are the ones they have.

CPU Intel P4 3.2 Ghz - 299.00

Ram, corsair 1 gig - 138.00

Video card, ATI - 199.00

DVD RW/CD RW 16x - 69.00

Floppy Disk Drive - Great for reformatting ;) - 12.00

Hard drive 160gig - 118.00

Sound card - Creative sound blaster live 5.1 - 39.00

Subtotal, about 1200 bucks :o

Click for info, and yell at me if there is anything that you dont like ;)

Also, this store doesnt haev any nvidia cards on their online store, i dont know if they have them down at the shop.

Thanks so much for helping me out guys!!

Edited by element11

Intel great for multi-tasking: video, photoshop, 3D., but expensive

AMD same as above, but better at gaming, if you need the multitasking, get the FX line, since money seems not a problem. Without FX line probably 100 bucks less

Canadian dollar right?

ATI...again multimedia video

nVidia...gaming. period. If money is not an issue, get anything 7800GT. 6600GT awesome with high-detail with HL2,FEAR, BF2.

did I mention IF you're considering SLI, nvidia HAS been the most stable.

PSU...600watts SLI certified. overkill the PSU so its one item that guarantees that you won't need for future upgrades.

Case: Aluminum. Past on the fancy plastic case like Asus Vento.

120mm fans keeps it cool and quiet.

Audigy ZS and up. You can even get OEM. I did and saved money to buy HL2 and a case of beer...thats over $50 U.S.

DVD, floppy--yeah you still need it...OEM this parts.

HD depends on your mobo of choice. Just make sure they are Socket 939.

more from the rest of the ppl here....

Actually, money IS an issue. Im looking for a good gaming computer but i dont wanna go past about 1500 without tax. ######, on 1500 bucks its like 200 tax @&$^#(&!!!!!! Yeah canadian dollar.

Sounds like i should go with nvidia, cause im a gamer. Definately not the most expensive card though, ill go somewhere in between.

Not a multitasker, so i could save a hundred bucks there.

I am putting together a new computer for a relative next week and with a budget like yours, you could get a much better bang for your buck.

Case - 74.00

In Canada, you should be able to get an "OEM" case for $60 or less with a 400W PSU. However, make sure the PSU is CSA-certified. It's worth paying an extra $15-20 for the CSA sticker

CPU Intel P4 3.2 Ghz - 299.00

If you go for an Intel CPU, do NOT get a Pentium D (dual core) as they were a last-minute slapped together chip by Intel to compete with AMD, and run hot. I would suggest you get a single core 600 series P4 which is still 64-bit and costs about the same as the 500 series. I am picking up P4 630 3.0 GHZ CPU (775-64)(RETAIL) $226.00.

Ram, corsair 1 gig - 138.00

No need to go with Corsair unless you are overclocking etc. Regular OEM Kingston/Samsung RAM (see if you can get it on sale at Future Shop etc.) can save you a few bucks and the DDR1 modules are all pretty much good these days. DDR2 is also getting cheaper, but most DDR2 timings run slower than DDR1 still.

Video card, ATI - 199.00

The video card is where I would spend more money - you won't regret it. If you get an ATI card, don't get anything slower than an X800XL. The best deal right now is an ATI X850XT (reg. price $600) for Cdn$299.99 for the next 5 days at Best Buy online which is twice as fast as the X700 for $200.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...200&catid=20397

For Nvidia, the 6600GT is always a good deal, or see if you can get the 6800GS on sale.

DVD RW/CD RW 16x - 69.00

I just bought a Lite-On 16x dual-layer DVD burner for $55.

Sound card - Creative sound blaster live 5.1 - 39.00

You don't need a sound card. Most motherboards have onboard sound as good or better than the SB Live. If you want to spend extra on sound, get an Audigy Value card.

It also is worth it to spend on a good quality motherboard. Once you decide on Intel or AMD, let us know and we can point out a good one.

I think i will go AMD, because its apparently cheaper and very good for gaming.

Edit: Also, @ Dannik, i cant really buy off the internet. I dont have 1500 cash, so i need financing available. Thats why i was origionally looking at the prefab.

Edited by element11

I think i will go AMD, because its apparently cheaper and very good for gaming.

Edit: Also, @ Dannik, i cant really buy off the internet. I dont have 1500 cash, so i need financing available. Thats why i was origionally looking at the prefab.

I also support Mom and Pop pc stores especially if majority of your parts will be OEM or barebone even. My deal with my first build was to buy parts thru the Mom and Pop PC store (MPPCS) was to pricematch Newegg's, and whatever I saved I count towards the harder part of labor fees...around 10 bucks (US)

If you go with AMD, there’s a mean board for you, or any MSI socket 939 with nvidia chipset or via. And RAMs. Look for the big red Kingston logo on that page (MSI) for a match. Just copie/paste the model number in the box. 2x 512mb kit in 400MHz is ok.

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ is good and afordable.

And the Video card

Hard disk should be a SATA, 80 gigs and up

DVD burner, LiteOn or LG

DVD reader

You might want to get a Logitech head set if you don't have one.

Good speakers

Edited by RatoN

Oh! If that store of yours doesn't carry Nvidia and MSI products... just run away from that store as fast as you can! Because that indicates to me that they are into selling general parts and not gamers specific high-end product. And what that means is; they keep parts that might be trouble for demanding applications such as games.

To bad you don't have a MicroBytes store in your area. All their products are top of the line, they don’t carry problems part. I only had 2 problems with certain hardware, and after telling the store manager about it, they were removed from the shelf within 24 hours! :blink: The staffs are actual gamers and computer wiz. :)

That will not be the case for NiagaraBlabla store from what i can see. So should you decide to by the parts from them you might have problems later on, and since that it's all new parts, you wont know where the problem is. RAM, CPU, MoBo, VID, PSU, drivers etc.

Many industries or stores are based upon people ignorance now a day. Why should they carry good product when most people don’t have a clue? You should shop around and physically go to the store. The Mother Board and video card section of a computer store says a lot. It should be Asus, MSI, Nvidia, ATI brand names all over. If those brands are a minority… run Forest run! :D

Sorry, I wish I could make thing easy for you by telling you what you want to hear, but I know better because I have made those mistakes.

jmho

ASUS A8N-SLI

Coolermaster Centruion 5 case

Western Digital Raptor Harddrive

Lite-On DVD burner etc..

eVGA 7800GT

Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Music

Thermal Take 500W PSU

2x1GB Corsair XMS Memory (2048mb) DDR400'

AMD64 X2 4200+

$1,502 no shipping yet. on new egg...

but If you have to buy loca thatll go up a lot. dont know how all that works out.

If you're going to do the Asus SLI please read this, currently running 223 pages of ppl helping other ppl make it a successful build.

I built my following their FAQ and settings, and my mistake so far is not taking advice on the northbridge fan, closest to the two graphics cards. They tend to wore out after running two days, 8hrs a day, constantly on. Meaning the fan starts making serious vibrations and noises.

This is of course an exception on the Premium editions with has a heatsink.

This idea was taken from ingenious ppl from the same forum.

Ppl have been replacing the fan with a Zalman heatsink, to avoid the vibration/noise problem while maintaining proper temp, this is before they screw the mobo into the case.

more later.........

Oh! If that store of yours doesn't carry Nvidia and MSI products... just run away from that store as fast as you can! Because that indicates to me that they are into selling general parts and not gamers specific high-end product. And what that means is; they keep parts that might be trouble for demanding applications such as games.

To bad you don't have a MicroBytes store in your area. All their products are top of the line, they don’t carry problems part. I only had 2 problems with certain hardware, and after telling the store manager about it, they were removed from the shelf within 24 hours!  :blink:  The staffs are actual gamers and computer wiz.  :)

That will not be the case for NiagaraBlabla store from what i can see. So should you decide to by the parts from them you might have problems later on, and since that it's all new parts, you wont know where the problem is. RAM, CPU, MoBo, VID, PSU, drivers etc.

Many industries or stores are based upon people ignorance now a day. Why should they carry good product when most people don’t have a clue? You should shop around and physically go to the store. The Mother Board and video card section of a computer store says a lot. It should be Asus, MSI, Nvidia, ATI brand names all over. If those brands are a minority… run Forest run!  :D

Sorry, I wish I could make thing easy for you by telling you what you want to hear, but I know better because I have made those mistakes.

jmho

I definately am going to shop around. There are other stores that i can get computer parts from, and ill see what the best options are. Right now though, buying a computer is only a thought, im not ready, and dont have enough money to buy one until the new year at least. But, i do believe it to be reasonable to start putting my thinking cap on ;)

I just dont wanna end up with another piece of junk :(

• 1 month later...

Ok. Heres how its gonna go down. My friend is selling a complete computer for 300 dollars, and im buying it. It is a pentium 4, 1.4 ghz, 256mb ram, and a geforce, i think its a 6600, card. I know this isnt a great computer, but the real reason im buying it is because it comes with a brand new 19 inch flat screen monitor, keyboard, and optical wireless mouse, and printer.

I now have 2 options:

1: Use it for now, and sell it to my dad when i get a better computer, so in the end i get a monitor, keyboard mouse, and printer for 100 bucks :thumbsup: , or

2: Throw in a 3.0 ghz processer, 2 sticks of 1 gig, and get a geforce 7800, and keep her for maself.

Now, i was just planning on number one, but how hard would it be to upgrade the computer? Would i need a new motherboard to handle a 3 ghz processer? (i can post a dxdiag tomorrow so you all can get all the specs)

Would i need a new motherboard to handle a 3 ghz processer? (i can post a dxdiag tomorrow so you all can get all the specs)

Not sure if a 1,4MHz qualifies as a P4, -anyway

You gonna need :

- PSU 420W and up

- Mobo (MSI, ya!) for sure

- CPU 3000MHz and up

- Rams 1024 +

- Sata hard disk 80gigs +

But that’s a good deal, 19 inch flat screen monitor are little bit expensive, and if it’s a GF6600 in there, then it’s a really good deal. Buy it, but don't expect to run the big games with that rig. You already knew that :D

Yeah, i figured i would need a motherboard. I think what im going to do is just use it for a bit, and buy a whole new tower. Having to upgrade all that would be not a helluvalot cheaper than getting a new computer. Plus, then you also have a new computer! :)

I would also need to add a dvd rom too, cause its only got a cd burner, so theres another upgrade :(

Edit: Do you need the psu to be an exact wattage or can it be over? Would it fry anything if i got a psu that wasnt exact??

Also, what is a good amd mobo, one thats good for gaming, but wont blow a hole in my pocket. Im looking to run a 64 bit processor, cause those are good for running games (if im not mistaken??)

Edited by element11