The Expansion Pack

What about plainclothes missions? Reading Chris Ryans books, he often has SAS troops undercover doing stuff in an urban setting, what about this?! Then they could be set anywhere, and you'd have the challenge of deciding whether so and so was an enemy or not etc.

Just my input.

Oh, and Clear and Present Danger rocks. :D

I like the idea of Afghanistan. It is topical, real world, it has deserts, urban or built up areas, and most importantly, mountains like the multiplayer mountain in GR that had forests, snow, a lot of elevation and relief, and was just a huge map you could get lost in. i'd like for every time my men go out in the open they are engaged by mortars. Tha t is realistic. Nothing makes you like shadows more than the constant threat of mortar attack. mortars can hit you from way out there, far out of your direct fire range.

I love the concept of dynamic sky in the game. I want to be able to begin a mission at Ending evening nautical time (EENT) and end it when the moon is up. Or alternatively, set up an attack an hour before dawn, and engage at dawn. This could be a raid on a small encampment to acquire data, or a harassing type raid. i want situations where there are more skinnies than my team has bullets to make players think.

Edited by Tortfeaser

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm..

although the Jungle does seem attractive I think it could easily get too familier. & Likewise so could the desert. To add some variety there would have to be some real imagination like maybe rebels holding out in ancient ruins as well as hightech facilities & the usual camps, also caves & tunnel networks etc. Although this could be real cool I'm not 100% sold on that. For me the first GR just had fantastic maps with a good variety of stunning terrain. The wow feeling I got on the first map as I crept up the slope & the sun shone through the trees. :thumbsup: ahhh. yes. Frostbite also got the balance right with some great maps.

Personally Where ever it's based I'd want a good variety of really rugged terrain. Mountains, lakes, rivers & a real mixture of open grass plains heather & forest. :yes: There's loads of european & asian places that fit that criteria.

Keep it rugged :D

This might sound like a no brainer but i'd like a frikkin fireing range.

I want to be able to load up a level in sp that has every single weapon available and just switch around a test them all on a range. How they spread the hits on rapid fire single shot, three burst, full auto, while straffingslowly sidewasy, standing, crouching, prone etc . . the whole lot.

I want to be able to just shoot at targes then look with the nocs to see what the result is etc. it can be one on the walls of buildings but you have to quickly check before th decals disapear. I want a more scientific way to try out all the different weapon configs.

I see all these requests for "jungle" then I look at the thread about graphics vs. gameplay and can only :rolleyes: .

To make a realistic jungle theme, it would need to be heavy on graphics (i.e. LOTS of foliage, trees, growth, rain, etc.). If it wasn't everyone would scream "it isn't realistic."

hmm..

although the Jungle does seem attractive I think it could easily get too familier. & Likewise so could the desert. To add some variety there would have to be some real imagination like maybe rebels holding out in ancient ruins as well as hightech facilities & the usual camps, also caves & tunnel networks etc. Although this could be real cool I'm not 100% sold on that. For me the first GR just had fantastic maps with a good variety of stunning terrain. The wow feeling I got on the first map as I crept up the slope & the sun shone through the trees.  :thumbsup: ahhh. yes. Frostbite also got the balance right with some great maps.

Personally Where ever it's based I'd want a good variety of really rugged terrain. Mountains, lakes, rivers & a real mixture of open grass plains heather & forest. :yes: There's loads of european & asian places that fit that criteria.

Keep it rugged :D

All of the suggestions here seem to point to gameplay that matched the original Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear Series. You really couldn't beat the gameplay of those games. Even RvS, though Ubi screwed up using the wrong game engine, or really not that, but they didn't spend enough time tweaking it, had really good gameplay.

In the original games and the expansion packs, R6 was all over the world in all kinds of environments and scenarios. All kinds of different missions and such. Different roles for the team members, and in the urban areas, they actually had indoor missions where the buildings were accessible.

I think that GRIN could really gewt some good ideas from the R6 series, and use them in combination with GR. I'm not saying go totally backwards and copy them, but just take a look at them and get some ideas that they could combine with GR.

I hope I made sense there.

Edited by Specter

There was a very good jungle expasion pack for Rogue Spear around the same time as Urban Ops, but I cant remember the name of the pack, even then it was pretty convincing, some areas like the waterfall were really great to look at.

Trouble was it was VERY difficult to play without getting shot when moving up on the bad guys, due to the thick cover and camo, you could be 3 feet away and still not see them.!!

I have to say though it was a great place to fight, and I really enjoyed it, I would love to see a jungle expansion pack. I did like some of the old city maps in Urban Ops as well like Hong Kong etc.. But like most peeps I think it would be good to have some more open maps like GR had as well, as for country, how about fighting the Canadians, lol or here in Australia, maybe the story line can be that we declared war on the US for sending us shows like OPRAH!.

JF

There was a very good jungle expasion pack for Rogue Spear around the same time as Urban Ops, but I cant remember the name of the pack,  even then it was pretty convincing, some areas like the waterfall were really great to look at.

Trouble was it was VERY difficult to play without getting shot when moving up on the bad guys, due to the thick cover and  camo, you could be 3 feet away and still not see them.!!

I have to say though it was a great place to fight, and I really enjoyed it, I would love to see a jungle expansion pack. I did like some of the old city maps in Urban Ops as well like Hong Kong etc.. But like most peeps I think it would be good to have some more open maps like GR had as well, as for country, how about fighting the Canadians, lol or here in Australia, maybe the story line can be that we declared war on the US for sending us shows like OPRAH!.

JF

COVERT OPS...come on dude! :rofl:

AWESOME expansion to a classic game...and urban ops was good too. God I love RSE, you guys rock my world. Thanks for all the great games and great times. Gladly, I know someone that works for RSE, so I got to thank him personally. He told me the reason he joined RSE was for games like R6, where realism was the primary focus. RSE are pioneers in the tac-sim industry, and I love them for it. :thumbsup:

That's so true though JF, the jungle setting in that Covert Ops missions was pretty damn impressive for its time, and i'm sure if they did it then, they can do it again! Although i'd be happy with anything out of the urban setting.

COVERT OPS!!!!!!!!!< man that was it, its been "P'ing ' me off all day trying to remember what it was called. Thanks DBrown. And yes, I think if a few of the other guys here comment on what it was like to play in that setting maybe GRIN can pick up a copy and have a look at it. It was VERY well executed for the time, and was REALLY GR8 to play.

The fact that there were several types of areas was also a big plus, south american jungle fighting drug dealers, missile silos in the middle east etc etc , was very good.

Anyone else remember "COVERT OPS"?

Edited by JFSebastian

I thought Summit Strike was a great example of how an expansion pack should be. 11 missions all situated in various locations, starting off in the mountain peeks movings down into forests, urban and then finishing in the desert badlands.

There was so much variety that all the levels looked fresh and was never a sense "ugh another forest mision"

I'd be really disapointed if they wernt working on including a bigger coop team for the expansion. From what I'm imagining this game will be like based on the intel, the difference of haveing a 8 -12 man coop team VS a 4-5 coop team is the difference for this game to be a clissic, or just a really good, all too fleeting, diversion.

• 1 month later...

I just hope maps won't get bigger. I hate those marathon maps in Joint Operations, BF, or OFP where you spend most of your time running to action instead of being there. I love GR maps. You respawn and youre almost instantly in the action.

It doesnt mean run and gun. GR its about slow and careful approach where medium or small maps are best suited for it. Making maps big will make GR nothing as it was.

Edited by dreamr

I just hope maps won't get bigger. I hate those marathon maps in Joint Operations, BF, or OFP where you spend most of your time running to action instead of being there. I love GR maps. You respawn and youre almost instantly in the action.

It doesnt mean run and gun. GR its about slow and careful approach where medium or small maps are best suited for it. Making maps big will make GR nothing as it was.

allow me to disagree on this - I need plenty of room to operate, plenty of space to hide.

allow me to disagree on this - I need plenty of room to operate, plenty of space to hide.

Well, you have the right to an opionion.

Edited by Colin