USMC FR helicopter

CommandoCrazy

Hi everone,

My Force Recon Mod ( http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28597 ) is nearly complete and I thought a helicopter would be a nice addition. I mean the IT insertion cinematics would look damn stupid if the Marines would fly in a US Army Blackhawk, ya understand me?

So the question is:

a) Does anybody know if there are mods that have a UH-1N?

b) Or should a reskinned Blackhawk do the job?

:thumbsup:

CC

Edited by CommandoCrazy

Hi everone,

My Force Recon Mod ( http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28597 ) is nearly complete and I thought a helicopter would be a nice addition. I mean the IT insertion cinematics would look damn stupid if the Marines would fly in a US Army Blackhawk, ya understand me?

So the question is:

CC

IIRC, the SH-60R Seahawk is supposed to pick up the Special Warfare mission for the Navy when it enters service, so a reskin would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everone,

So the question is:

CC

IIRC, the SH-60R Seahawk is supposed to pick up the Special Warfare mission for the Navy when it enters service, so a reskin would be fine.

I don't know if a reskin will do the job. Firstly, the 60 Romeo is used for NAVAL special warfare insertions and extractions, i.e. SEALS. Secondly, If you look at a standard UH-60, the tailwheel is at the end of the tail boom, whereas on the SH-60, it's just aft of the cabin. This was done because of the folding tail and the short decks that the Seahawk would operate from. Can't have a 20' wheelbase when the deck is only 12' long.

You might want to try modeling a CH-46 or MV-22....I know there's a crashed model in IT, so you might be able to start from that and remodel to flying condition. The Marines are starting to phase out the UH-1N, simply because it's such an old airframe. The same with the -46.....The damn thing's almost 30 years old, so to keep it modern, I think an Osprey would be a great choice. But that's just me.

I would prefer a CH-46E Sea Knight. A CH-53E Super Stallion would be a nice addition, be pretty cool for some missions. But a reskin would still work.

Of course, they need this paint job.  :P

usmc_camo_scheme-1.jpg

usmc_camo_scheme-4.jpg

:rofl: LMAO!!!! I'm surprised the air boss allowed it to take off......Course, paint like that would also serve to distract any hostiles in the area......

the 60 Romeo is used for NAVAL special warfare insertions and extractions, i.e. SEALS.

Force Recon are a naval special warfare unit, the USMC being a USN asset.

Secondly, If you look at a standard UH-60, the tailwheel is at the end of the tail boom, whereas on the SH-60, it's just aft of the cabin.

How much detail do we really see in-game? Eye-candy is nice, but all we really need is the general effect.

The Marines are starting to phase out the UH-1N

It's actually being replaced with the UH-1Y (originally the -1Ns were going to be rebuilt into -1Ys, but it turns out to be cheaper to buy a new -1Y). The main visual differences are a c1m stretch in the cabin area and a four bladed rotor.

@snowpilot: your attention for details scares me! :lol:

@brandonkappel: :kewlpics: Sure, a CH-53 would be cool but

1. It hasn't been made yet and vehicle modders are rare

2. A CH-53 is one hell of a big and noisy helicopter (I live about 20km from an Airbase and they often fly over my house) for the insertion of a 6-man-team, don't you think so?

@blakarion: your US Vehicle pack has a V-22??? Which version? I have 1.00. could you maybe give me a link??

Edited by CommandoCrazy

the 60 Romeo is used for NAVAL special warfare insertions and extractions, i.e. SEALS.

Force Recon are a naval special warfare unit, the USMC being a USN asset.

Secondly, If you look at a standard UH-60, the tailwheel is at the end of the tail boom, whereas on the SH-60, it's just aft of the cabin.

How much detail do we really see in-game? Eye-candy is nice, but all we really need is the general effect.

As for the detail, you'd be surprised the level of detail these modders can put in. And someone who KNOWS the DIFFERENCE WILL be rather miffed if the model is wrong!

And as for the Marines being a USN asset, yes, they are still listed under the department of the Navy, but they are a self-contained service with their own air wings and support squadrons. The Marines use as much of their own hardware and pilots as they can. Every Marine pilot has a secondary qualification as a rifleman, and EVERY Marine goes through the same infantry training. So, to say that the Marines would use Navy helos during their insertions is rather incorrect, and um, insulting to Marines.

@commando crazy & sniper82 : sorry guys, your right I didnt put the V-22 in the US Vehicle Pack, however a "basic" version is in my Operation:Dark Star Mod. If u wanna use it in your own Mods, then please PM me for a "up-graded" version ;)

As for the detail, you'd be surprised the level of detail these modders can put in. And someone who KNOWS the DIFFERENCE WILL be rather miffed if the model is wrong!

In which case, the tailwheel should definitely be on the tail boom, the special warfare tasked MH-60S being a Blackhawk airframe with Seahawk dynamics, see http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/mh_60s/ http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.as..._id=7447&page=2 and http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys.../ch-60-pics.htm

So, to say that the Marines would use Navy helos during their insertions is rather incorrect, and um, insulting to Marines.

Far be it from me to insult the USMC (pale imitation of the real thing though they may be), but anyone who elects to use a less capable platform during a spec-ops insertion deserves insulting.

They've certainly used AF aircraft in the past for insertions -- http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/US_..._in_Liberia/aaj shows a marine (probably FAST rather than FR, but could be either and definitely a marine) in MARPAT in an HH-60 of the 56th Rescue Squadron (the Keflavik-based 56 RQS seems an odd choice to deploy to Liberia, but as I said you choose the best assets available for the job).

True, it is important to use the best available resources during a spec op insertion, but bear in mind that we're not talking about sending one bird in alone. Even for "Black" ops, there will be other assets in the area....sometimes AWACS or MC 130 aircraft, especially on long-range missions. The MC 130 would be able to refuel the insertion aircraft, and provide ECM and EW support. Under those conditions, risking a high value helo like an MH-60 is not necessarily the best option. Helo's are more prone to damage and downing than fixed wing assets. Also, it's kinda rare for FR to do helo-casts into hot zones. Again, helos are more vulnerable to ground fire, and they make a hell of a lot more noise than high-altitude fixed-wing insertions. They're more likely to do HALOs into the Op area, then egress overland to an EZ and wait for the MH-60 or UH-60 to pick them up, or get picked up by water-borne assets if they're near rivers.