Graphics vs. Gameplay

Graphics vs. Gameplay, honestly...  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, to all of you who are complaining about the graphics in screenshots, which do you care about more, graphics or gameplay.

Because honestly, I don't give a damn about the graphics so long as they bring back that old familiar feeling from GR classic. GR1's graphics were plenty good enough to get me immersed in the game, but the real thing that did it was the gameplay.

Yes, it would be nice if it had flashy graphics AND good gameplay, but really I would be just as happy if the gameplay was phenomenal and the graphics were mediocre. Plus, less lag in MP :D . I think we should stop provoking them to concentrate on the graphics and start provoking them to improve the gameplay.

Let's have those opinions people!

Poll added.

Edited by Dannik

Gameplay, all the way. Eye candy works for tech demos and proof of concept, but I'm tired of seeing system specs that are outside of my ability to keep up, budgetwise. That's one of the reasons I own a console or two, frankly.

Consider the Grand Theft Auto series: Visually, there are some neat tricks going on to make them look better than they really do, but the gameplay is key to why I can casually fire Vice City or San Andreas up, just to spend ten minutes relaxing, while waiting for my stove timer to beep, or knowing I have to pick up my wife in a few minutes, and have some free time on hand.

One of the best examples of keeping graphics important, without overkill, is Half Life 2. The game scales to a plethora of systems. A system that could play HL1 well is likely capable, without upgrade beyond a bit more memory, of playing HL2 just fine. Those with an extra grand to spend on new gear see a prettier game, but in the end, it's the same game.

You can tart up a stupid game all you want, or you can design a fantastic experience using 2D blocks. The best games are those that consider the best of both worlds, and go from there. Tetris was a great title, despite it's incredibly dull graphics. It didn't need them. Doom3 looks amazing, on high end hardware, but it's not exactly the most fun title to play (although some will disagree, I mean that it's not a title that relies on good plot or story development).

Gameplay trumps graphics, in my opinion, but both need to be there to the appropriate level, based on the title's direction.

I'll take gameplay and nice details, excellent sound effects, and little, true to life things that make you go "oh that's pretty neat!", over graphics that will make my computer go "You want me to do what?".

Thats one of the great things about RSE games, they aren't the most ground breaking graphically, but they get you hooked on the gameplay and subtle details.

To be honest we have already had a game that rocked and still does on the tactics front.

Having a game that is similar but with excellent graphics in this day and age is not too much to ask for, one out of the two has already been achieved.

Considering we are now 5 years down the road I would want and demand both.

Colin

It is unacceptable in this day and age to have bad graphics. It isn't the most important thing, but we have come too far to have something look ordinary now...there has to be a minimum standard in my opinion, and great graphics give me enjoyment and sucks me into the gaming world much easier.

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know, graphics depends mainly on the graphics card and gameplay is mainly processor dependent. Ofcourse we would require a high capacity ram and a fast hdd but they are anyway required. So, why should the devs have to choose one over the other while making a game ? They can make both of the highest standard possible and make the graphics and effects highly scaleable. Anyone who has no fascination about graphics can stick to a lower-range or mid-range card.

Personally, I want both. Gameplay is obviously very very important, not much needs to be said about it. But very high quality graphics contribute a lot to making the scenario believable, which is essential for a realistic tac sim. In the various forums, people always start complaining when the pc screens seem less impressive visually than the x360 ones. They often say that the pc screens seem a bit grainy. All this tells me that quite a few players would really like good graphics even though it is not their biggest priority.

Gameplay because lets face it, the technology we are at now even "not as good graphics as some new games" still looks superb compared to GR1 and even that looks good still now especialy with mods.

So without realy trying graphics will still be great is my point and GRAW hardly loooks bloody awfull ... so gameplay it is.

GAMEPLAY is not what has to be changed for a new version, its Graphics and sounds...toys etc. that are going to be changed...

The Gameplay is going to be the EASIEST thing for the developer to do..they just copy from the original to a large degree....

They NEED to be focusing on Graphics....after all that is going to HOPEFULLY be the biggest difference.

The Gameplay is going to be the EASIEST thing for the developer to do..they just copy from the original to a large degree....

Not really. GRAW pc is being made by GRIN using the Diesel engine 6.0 whereas GR1 was made by RSE using their own engine. So, to get to a gameplay similar to GR1, I believe GRIN had to work from scratch. Also, in 2006, to get the same level of gameplay satisfaction as GR provided 4.5 years back, a lot of additions and improvements are required.

I agree that graphics are very important for immersion but that does not mean that gameplay does not require humungus work.

GAMEPLAY is not what has to be changed for a new version, its Graphics and sounds...toys etc. that are going to be changed...

They NEED to be focusing on Graphics....after all that is going to HOPEFULLY be the biggest difference.

Yeah, you are right to a degree, but no they can't just "copy" from the original. It's an entirely new game and people are expecting new facets.

Focusing on graphics is rediculous, graphics look just fine on new lower-end graphical games like Calius said. Sure, they would be nice, but what do you want the PRIORITY to be? ######ty gameplay with superb graphics? You will play a game that sucks just for the graphics? I won't.

Yeah, you are right to a degree, but no they can't just "copy" from the original.  It's an entirely new game and people are expecting new facets. 

Focusing on graphics is rediculous, graphics look just fine on new lower-end graphical games like Calius said.  Sure, they would be nice, but what do you want the PRIORITY to be?  ######ty gameplay with superb graphics?  You will play a game that sucks just for the graphics?  I won't.

Even if they have to re-make the original gameplay, they dont have to "create" it. They can look at the original and see what the goal is.

I hope they put their creativity towards immersion, and graphics and sound are a large part of that.

I hope they dont get too "creative" with the style of gameplay, leave that mostly intact if they can.

Not being in the industry, I have no idea which takes more effort, gameplay or graphics...but ....

DAMNIT I WANT BOTH!

Edited by Malum

i voted for equal consideration. why? excellent gameplay with poor graphics was attractive, back when i played my old c64. nowadays i have *slightly* higher expectations. good graphics and poor gameplay isn't attractive either (see doom3).

so i think both is important for a perfect game-experience.

regarding the screenshots the graphics are more than good enough to compete with other genre-contenders. the gameplay can only be tgested in a demo. but i have no doubt, that graw will be the best tac-shooter we've seen so far. :thumbsup:

There is lots of games with stuning graphics and there is only a few games with good gameplay ant tactical feeling. If GRAW is going to have exelent gameplay and decent graphics ill be a very happy man. If its going to be eyecandy with exelent gameplay itll be "my game" for next 3-4 years ( like GR1 is/was).

GAMEPLAY 80%

GRAPHIC 20%

I thought this game already had gameplay down? They need to reinvent it?

They just need to copy the elements that were already there.

How hard is that?

You make it sound simple. Its not. Gameplay is affected by many things, including a biggie, level-design. For new storylines, you have the new game spaces that come with it. The developers could make the most beatiful maps ever in a FPS, but something would have to be sacrificed to do so. They could include all of the "tactical" features from GR1 and GR2, but if the levels do not lend themselves to a GR1 style of gameplay, you get a game with all flash, and thats it.

Do they have to re-invent the gameplay? No, they need to make the new game fit it.

I'll take maps that allow the players freedom to play how they want to, over the most "ground breaking" maps that force me to play a certain way.

And finally, I want to be able to play a game that doesn't force me to buy a new $400 video card to play it, I may as well buy a 360 in that case.

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know, graphics depends mainly on the graphics card and gameplay is mainly processor dependent.

Please stand corrected for you are indeed wrong i'm afraid m8.

Gameplay is in no way processor dependant or any other hardware dependant. As someone stated earlier in this thread look at classics like Tetris, Donkey Kong etc etc. The graphics were limited by the hardware of the time but the gameplay was pure genius, gameplay is entirely down to design and implementation of the idea and not hardware requirements.

I voted for Gameplay in the poll, I would be disappointed if the graphics were not up to par but if the 'Core' playability of GR1 was present and the ability to mod was present then I would be all over the game like a rash even if it wasn't a great leap up from GR1.

That said the graphics could spoil the feeling of immersion if they were too 'Cartooney' or just plain badly implemented but I could live with that if the Gameplay was good (but it would have to be GOOD bordering on the frikkin awsome ;))

I thought this game already had gameplay down? They need to reinvent it?

They just need to copy the elements that were already there.

How hard is that?

You make it sound simple. Its not. Gameplay is affected by many things, including a biggie, level-design. For new storylines, you have the new game spaces that come with it. The developers could make the most beatiful maps ever in a FPS, but something would have to be sacrificed to do so. They could include all of the "tactical" features from GR1 and GR2, but if the levels do not lend themselves to a GR1 style of gameplay, you get a game with all flash, and thats it.

Do they have to re-invent the gameplay? No, they need to make the new game fit it.

I'll take maps that allow the players freedom to play how they want to, over the most "ground breaking" maps that force me to play a certain way.

And finally, I want to be able to play a game that doesn't force me to buy a new $400 video card to play it, I may as well buy a 360 in that case.

I appreciate not *wanting* to spend more money to upgrade, nobody wants to "waste" money...but if you wanna buy and play the "LATEST" games.....sorry to tell you, thats what it takes....and in my opinion, thats what it SHOULD take.

In my opinion, I think the games should push the envelope hardware wise...

I am not saying sacrifice gameplay, if there were 2 glasses filled with gameplay and graphics, I say drink from the gameplay glass first....But!

But! After you drink in the gameplay, make the graphics as latest cutting edge as possible...without interefering with that gameplay...I think that is pretty far....and, Im sorry to say, much better than the screen shots Ive seen so far.