GR:AW Dev. Chat Summary

Yep agreed, we have suggested that... well sort of

:P

[1:11pm] [1:11pm] <NYR_GRNET> Something similar to Summit Strike, covering multiple enviornments. ;)

Hi RatoN, I guess NYR hit the nail on the head. The expansion will have to feature multiple environments like SS, if the devs want to make it according to the fans' wishes. It will have to be a long one though, having lots of maps.

Whatever the environment ( desert, jungle or snow ), I would like a mountainous terrain featuring villages. Flat terrains are too predictable.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my interview with Bo on map sizes:

How long will SP missions last?

We anticipate the missions will last two hours. We want you to get really into the game. The maps are huge too. They are at least 1 kilometer by 4 or 5 blocks wide [bo wasn’t exactly sure of the exact meters, WK].

1. How many enemy AIs will we be fighting in GRAW SP and COOP?

[ +Ulf ] Up to 20 against you and your ghosts.*

Plus there are vehicles, both in the air and on ground.*

This sounds a little light, GR ranged from 20 to about 50 or so. Doesn't sound right.

2. +Ulf ] The maps have an _average_ size of 600x600 meters, in SP.

Good size maps, about 50% larger than GR, I thought they might be a bit larger.

3.<WhiteKnight77> Why the arrows pointing out teammate positions?

Still don't like that, the tac map gives you situational awareness.

Mind you, this is an urban setting so take that size and then also add small alley ways / tunnels / subways / overhead roads / any building interiors to go in and out of, then all of that set at 600x600 .. lots to play with.

Still don't like that, the tac map gives you situational awareness.

- True indeed. As we didnt get uch on HUD settings I wonder if this will be under a "Team Position Notifcation - On / Off" setting toggle? Hmmm.

Great read with solid new info in there for us to chew on for awhile :-)

Looks like GRIN is doing an awesome job. Can't wait for the demo!

My vote for the expansion pack is Nicaragua - which is the setting for the multiplayer co-op campaign for GRAW on the Xbox 360. It won't be fair if just the Xbox 360 gamers get it ...

This sounds a little light, GR ranged from 20 to about 50 or so. Doesn't sound right.

That's the very first thing that really stood out for me too...I thought they always said for Firefight now you could set the number of enemies per map? I hope that's the case, if it's only around 20 on easy and scaled up for difficulties to 30-40 for Hard, I'm going to be HIGHLY disappointed yet again.

From my interview with Bo on map sizes:

How long will SP missions last?

We anticipate the missions will last two hours. We want you to get really into the game. The maps are huge too. They are at least 1 kilometer by 4 or 5 blocks wide [bo wasn’t exactly sure of the exact meters, WK].

2 HOURS! My lord!

Actually, areawise the maps in GRAW would be 2.25 times larger on an average. In GR1 the maps were 400x400 moters or 160000 square meters. In GRAW they will be 360000 square meters.

<RatoN> How many enemy AIs will we be fighting in GRAW SP and COOP?

This has to be a joke...20?!?!? I hope he meant 200.

I forgot, can we pickup weapons and ammo (from other ghosts and opfor)?

silent_op

That's the very first thing that really stood out for me too...I thought they always said for Firefight now you could set the number of enemies per map? I hope that's the case, if it's only around 20 on easy and scaled up for difficulties to 30-40 for Hard, I'm going to be HIGHLY disappointed yet again.

+

Actually, areawise the maps in GRAW would be 2.25 times larger on an average. In GR1 the maps were 400x400 moters or 160000 square meters. In GRAW they will be 360000 square meters.

= :huh: !?

Up to 20 opposing bots on huge maps, and the missions are suppose to last 2 hours... i don’t get it. Or, it's going to take time just to get to the action?

Most of us here are not really looking for 200 enemies per map. Not that much action. We don't want an out and out war game like COD2 but are mainly looking for covert missions like GR1.

I don't know whether 20 enemies per map would be a tad less. It all depends on how the AI is. If this means that the AI is of the highest quality then I am more than happy.

I would personally like the number to be variable and according to the map and mission requirements.

Edited by buddhiraja73

Most of us here are not really looking for 200 enemies per map. Not that much action. We don't want an out and out war game like COD2 but are mainly looking for covert missions like GR1.

I don't know whether 20 enemies per map would be a tad less. It all depends on how the AI is. If this means that the AI is of the highest quality then I am more than happy.

Thank you Budd, good point

I'm happy again! :D

20 does seem a bit light on a 600 * 600 meter map.

A great chat post. I really get the feeling from it that GRAW is gonna be GREAt. Although Ulf evasive answer about the HUD has me quite worried. The 'game' its self gets to decide when you need the hud detail increased or decreased. Don't like that at all.

We really need a very clear answer as to every single thing on the HUD. What will be there and exactly which ones can be turned off in the options.

I enjoy single player and co op but won't mind the cluttered hud so much in that. But if it's cluttered in MP and i cant turn it off I would go as far as saying that it would detract from the expeience so much it could drive me a way after a while.

I wonder if we don't get the totall customization option for the MP HUD if a GRAW MOD could give us the option?

I think I'm reading a few things different to you guy's.

Dev was asked how many opfor we would be fighting. I'm assuming his answer of 20 means SIMULTANEOUSLY not 20 for the whole map, I think this is just a balance/rendering choice. You may have been able to have 75 opfor on a map in a firefight in GR but I never saw 75 attack simultaneously. Given the size of the maps I would assume opfor are added as you approach an area or as you kill previous they spawn new further out.

As to the HUD issue tbh I think the question was answered.

<Prozac> Will the HUD be customisable and to what degree? Colours, position, size, on/off...

[ +Ulf ] Depending on what happens in-game, the HUD adapts and changes, to give you more intel if that's what you need, and more view, if that's what you need.*

The GAME will scale the hud depending on the situation and info IT feels you need. I'm reading this as a NO we will not have an editable HUD (Unless of course our talented mod'ers com up with something). This was a polite and political NO ;)

***Lol, great minds think alike Poita ;)***

Edited by Dai-San

Up to 20 AI in gr1 would be simple.

You have to remember these AI are a lot better than any thing you have ever seen.

The AI in GRAW will give you a chalenge you never had in any other game, so 20 is not a small number, infact you will probably regret 20.

Colin

I can't believe some of you interpreted Ulf's answers as "there will be 20 enemies spread out on a 600x600 meter map". Did anyone seriously think it would be like that?? Of course he meant that there can be as much as 20 enemies on screen simultaneously.

Yeah, and if you were to meet 20 GRAW AI:s at once, you'd be knee-deep in manure - cause 20 GRAW AI:s would prolly whoop 50 GR1 AI:s ######es. :P

Yeah 20 total enemies per 600x600 map does seem a little light so as others have stated, I to say i'd be 20 enemies within one area. After all it does say "Up to 20" so therefore you could be fighting 2 enemies in one area and then move along and suddenly faced with 13 or even 20.

<Kirq> Please tell us something about replayability aspect of GRAW ?

[ +Ulf ] Replaying the game, you can of course choose to take alternative routes through the maps, as well as different tactical approaches.

The AI will of course adapt to your tactical approach, and team setup - varying your experience greatly. The non-linear maps open up huge possibilities different strategies.

I like this question / answer from the interview. Alternate routes are excellent because it lets you try different approaches if one way isn't working to well and it keeps it interesting each time you attempt a mission.

Bring on the PC gameplay videos and demo! :snipe:

Edited by Hyperblade

i know the AI is gonna be awesome, but 20 still seems a little light to me, remember that 1 360 video where mitchell goes into sniper mode and takes out the tank gunner, in that video it seemed like the right amount of enemies, and im pretty sure it was more than 20. i guess well see when the demo comes out...

CANT WAIT DR12--