GDC Sandbox: Soldiers Holiday

the.ronin

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wot about using a different language for a change? Don’t other non-English speaking countries have active troops abroad?  :hmm:

I really like that idea!! Let's see what people can come up with ... although I am opting to use only the more serious tributes ... no offense RatoN, the preparation H one is funny stuff, but might just stand out like a sore thumb among the other tributes ... any thoughts?

By the way, everyone please feel free to continue to submit tributes as late as Tuesday night (about 7pm Pacific time) which is when I will likely (hopefully) get to putting this thing together.

Tell you what

If people want to post Christmas and happy New Year wishes in different languages, I’ll slap em on images my self… With the help of pagey… Right?

Q:

Do the images have to include military stuff? Could they be general Christmas post card?? I mean, if I was in the military, the last thing I would wanna see on my post card is more camouflage uniforms and military stuff! :D

Do the images have to include military stuff? Could they be general Christmas post card?? I mean, if I was in the military, the last thing I would wanna see on my post card is more camouflage uniforms and military stuff!  :D

That is a good question ... but remember that this is just as much to serve as a reminder to civilians to be thankful for those who are out in the field during the holidays as much as it is a thank you directly for those out in the field.

Given that the tributes thus far have all had some element of military in them ... might be best to just stick to it for now.

Tell you what

If people want to post Christmas and happy New Year wishes in different languages, I’ll slap em on images my self… With the help of pagey… Right?

Thats exactly what i was thinkin... :P

merci RaToN. :)

few more comin tonite....

GDCCANADA_chid.jpg

neh..

...after hearing the narration, I realise its an American Soldier holydays theme.

Doh...offtopic again.

Edited by pagey

Well happy campers, I would have liked to try more iterations of a soundtrack but it would seem this particular iteration is far and beyond the best ...

Christmas Tribute Soundtrack

However, with an effective runtime of 198 seconds, I had to significantly limit the number of tributes to be showcased. We currently have a whopping 35 tributes!! For each of which I am hugely thankful to the contributors ... but to give each tribute a respectable showtime of just over 10 seconds meant that only 19 tributes would be showcased. Doubtless, any and all who contributed their time, whether in tributes, voiceover or editing the voiceover will be credited.

I'm hoping to get the tribute posted up here tomorrow so people active in its creation can get a sneak preview before Rocky posts it live Wednesday!

Quick update ... I've finished laying down most of the peice ... turns out its a lot more than 19 tributes and a lot more than 10 seconds per tribute. :huh: I'm not going to try to figure out why the timing has changed ... but at just under 5 megs, it's lookin mighty spiff!! :lol:

Do you guys think the background guitar could be a bit louder? It sounded fine at home when I had it cranked full blast ... but here in my office where I listen to things a lot quieter, the guitar was very faint. Could you at least make out what the Christmas songs were in the background?

But the last thing I want to do is drown out Mandy's voice.

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:

Ok sounds like the soundtrack is good to go ... I also got feedback from Mandy and Daniel of GTTV and they've given it the thumbs up ... whew! Laying these soundtracks are not as easy as they sound (get it? :lol: ) and I was dreading having to redo it.

Last thing to do is the html page and set it up all nice and purdy unlike the bland Tribute to Soldier. Credits will appear on the html page as opposed to the flash movie itself.

This is gonna be good, happy campers.

Well happy campers, I would have liked to try more iterations of a soundtrack but it would seem this particular iteration is far and beyond the best ...

Christmas Tribute Soundtrack

Hey ronin, I could "spice up" the tribute a bit. What you say hombre? Dokta Peppa (heh, that's your own words bro) will get right on the case remix if you're interested.

~Dokta Peppa WytchDokta

Hey ronin, I could "spice up" the tribute a bit. What you say hombre? Dokta Peppa (heh, that's your own words bro) will get right on the case remix if you're interested.

Dokta ... I would be very very curious to see what you could whip up however, I just basically completed the tribute and basically just need to embed the Flash movie once I get home. I don't mean to rush anything, it's just that I am jamming to get work done before I take off for vacation next week so I don't have much additional time to dedicate to the tribute.

You are more than welcome to post it up here though ... you just never know. :yes:

I knew those sped up Jingle Bells riffs would come in handy somewhere, hehe.... I'll drop them in with some voodoo spells and black magic elixirs. Looks like I'll be writing a new recipe to list in the Doktrine....

~Dokta Peppa WytchDokta

Edited by WytchDokta

I knew those sped up Jingle Bells riffs would come in handy somewhere, hehe.... I'll drop them in with some voodoo spells and black magic elixirs. Looks like I'll be writing a new recipe to list in the Doktrine....

~Dokta Peppa WytchDokta

WD, is that the same choon that i'm thinkin about right now?... ...

Do you want my version of the remix that i sent you a W.I.P offas well?..

:santa:

Why would I copy your choonz? Actually, I may not get this completed before christmas, so I may not use the Jingle Bells riffs. Heh, I've been playing aroun with the drum machine alot recently.... Might go for a breakbeat or drum & bass remix....

~WytchMan WytchDokta

noooo! What i meant was, the DJ Vapour - Jingle Bells :rocky:

Why would I copy your choonz? Actually, I may not get this completed before christmas, so I may not use the Jingle Bells riffs. Heh, I've been playing aroun with the drum machine alot recently.... Might go for a breakbeat or drum & bass remix....

~WytchMan WytchDokta

noooo! What i meant was, the DJ Vapour - Jingle Bells :rocky:

That's what I WAS talking about.

Well, after some serious technical difficulties with my peice-o-crap dial up, I have finally gotten to upload the tribute ... what took nearly 2 hours and 0% success rate at home took a mere 10 minutes and 100% success here at work :wall:

Rant over ... BEHOLD!! I BRING YOU ...

The Christmas Tribute clapping.gif

As mentioned, I was not able to use all of the tributes. However, I did credit everyone who participated in this tribute. In addition, I realize that the laurel leaves are blocking some of the verbiage on some of the tributes. I grappled with this for a while and ultimately decided to keep the laurel leaves overlapping as far as they do, since it certainly gives a sense of continuity to the background and foreground of the tribute.

Please forward this tribute to anyone you like, in particular, all those who have served, are currently serving, or have loved ones in these situations.

I think it goes without saying ... everyone who participated in this tribute should be very very proud.