Dynamic sky

deleyt

Question 1:

We are modeling dynamic changes in time. The sun will track across the sky and that will affect how it is reflected off of the surroundings.

So....does that mean object-shadows are dynamic aswell? Or is it still pre-calculated (shadowmaps)?

Question 2:

Modding Tools will be made available for would be game makers. see Cryteks Far Cry Kit. As an example.

So....are we getting another basic WYSIWYG landscape-editor?

Sure, GR was inaccesible for a lot of people to mod because of the expensive 3D Studio Max-package, but having to build a map like putting in lego-blocks ain't exactly very appealing to the more devoted modders in here.

I would like to know if it's possible to be more creative with the new modding-tools.

Question 1:

We are modeling dynamic changes in time. The sun will track across the sky and that will affect how it is reflected off of the surroundings.

So....does that mean object-shadows are dynamic aswell? Or is it still pre-calculated (shadowmaps)?

does the word "objects" represent a special/different "thing" or otherwise have a special meaning to modders, otherwise what else would cast a shadow besides players? just confused by the question.

Question 2:

having to build a map like putting in lego-blocks ain't exactly very appealing to the more devoted modders in here.

I would like to know if it's possible to be more creative with the new modding-tools.

on the other side of the coin, a lot of us who will never have the time to learn your skills are hoping it is as simple as Legos! I know I am. Perhaps there is a comprimise where it allows people who don't know modding to make maps, and still allows skilled modders to sweeten them up?

@Tortfeaser: What would cast shadows? Lets just say buildings, trees, shrubs, cars and preety much every thing that can cast shadows in real world. In GR1 shadows were "baked" on maps so thats why the question from Deleyt.

Lego-blocks style map editor is usually working on same concept as any "powerful" 3D package proggie. If it doesnt come with prebuilt stuff, u must model objects and models and texture it like in any other 3D proggie. But usually "power" 3D proggies can make stuff much better and easier.

Also it would be a lame to see same style maps all over with same textures so it would be a really good thing if there would be a good integration between map editor and 3D proggies. That way u can have good maps and good models IMHO.

@Tortfeaser: What would cast shadows? Lets just say buildings, trees, shrubs, cars and preety much every thing that can cast shadows in real world. In GR1 shadows were "baked" on maps so thats why the question from Deleyt.

Yup.

The only game-engine I've seen using realtime environment-shadows on such a large scale so far, is Operation Flashpoint/VBS1.

It would be really cool to see a dynamic daylight-system with realtime shadows for GR3.

Just wondering if it will be..... :unsure:

on the other side of the coin, a lot of us who will never have the time to learn your skills are hoping it is as simple as Legos! I know I am. Perhaps there is a comprimise where it allows people who don't know modding to make maps, and still allows skilled modders to sweeten them up?

I understand.

The problem really lies in the fact that a simplified editor usually also means "restricting" and "less creative".

I believe I read somewhere (can't remember where) that GR3 will be shipped with moddingtools that are able to use "any object from stock maps". So, that would mean lego-block style maps: everyone using the same stuff over and over again, resulting in maps looking all the same.

I would hate to see my creativity stand in the way by restrictions the modding-software has.

Maybe we got too spoiled with GR from the start, but that's what I compare any sequel with.

I would put money on it being realtime shadow generation from the dynamic lighting.From what i understand GRIN's history has been centered around advanced game engines.

I'm all for the WYSIWYG game editor if it brings modding to more people but not at the detriment of being able to use more advanced software for importing maps,models etc.. for those more accustomed modders.This would otherwise kill modding for alot of modders around here.

Yup.

The only game-engine I've seen using realtime environment-shadows on such a large scale so far, is Operation Flashpoint/VBS1.

It would be really cool to see a dynamic daylight-system with realtime shadows for GR3.

Just wondering if it will be..... :unsure:

I understand.

The problem really lies in the fact that a simplified editor usually also means "restricting" and "less creative".

I believe I read somewhere (can't remember where) that GR3 will be shipped with moddingtools that are able to use "any object from stock maps". So, that would mean lego-block style maps: everyone using the same stuff over and over again, resulting in maps looking all the same.

I would hate to see my creativity stand in the way by restrictions the modding-software has.

Maybe we got too spoiled with GR from the start, but that's what I compare any sequel with.

I'm with ya....I don't want any chains holdin you back! Hell I will never have the time to try my hand at modding anyway, so i guess I'll leave it to the pros! :thumbsup: