Ghost Recon.net Forums

Backpacking through Europe

If you make it to Krakow, Wieliczka is open and worthwhile. I went there in February.

http://www.muzeum.wieliczka.pl/pl/english.html

And if you didn't know already, just south of the main tourist area inside Krakow's old town walls is Kazimierz, the Jewish Quarter which is being revived and now considered an attraction of the city.

Edited by Earl
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ earl: thanks mate

Why I was mad about the train was that a lot of the seats were already reserved, not just because people were sitting in them, but because there were signs above them saying they were reserved. The company should have known that all the seats were reserved, and they should have advised me to take the other train that was arriving to the same place at the same time!

Yeah, I did ride the London Underground. Very crowded. I had no real problems on my other journeys with the British train services, and I will always remember the kindness and compassion of two certain Scot Rail employees.

In Münich/München now.. Doing alright, Im here today, tomorow, and the next day. Then Im going to Füssen to see Neuschwanstein.

For some reason it has become an obsession of mine to find a traditional Bavarian restaurant where the waiters wear Lederhosen and the waitresses wear Dirndls and to get my picture taken with a waitress in a Dirndl.. Im not sure why this has happened, but its now my mission.

Completing your mission should be no problem in Bavaria! :lol:

You'd better wear some comfortable shoes when going to Neuschwanstein because it takes a 2 or 3 km walk until you're there. And the road is very steep!!! But it's worth the walk. Hope you have some fun!

Well, Im going there tomorrow so if they have a place to get online, Ill let yall know how it went.

As for today, Im in desperate need of a haircut and Im giong to Schloss Nymphenburg here in München.

Drinking two liters from the Hofbräuhaus within an hour is NOT recommended. You will go well past that funny stage and the world will begin spinning all around you and you will feel extremely sick.

That is the life lesson I learned today.

Went to Neuschwanstein today, made it up that hill in about 15-20 minutes. Pretty darn impressive place, although the tour is EXTREMELY quick. Still worth the visit though.

Now, I need to find me a young schön Kellnerin wearing a Dirndl... :-)

A beautiful young waitress wearing a traditional dress ;)

Ive seen the Lederhosen here, now its my mission to see a real Dirndl. Since Ive seen the guys traditional dress, I want to see the women.

Oh, and about Tatiana: Having a dozen red roses delivered to a woman on her Christmas (yesterday was Orthodox Christmas) will score you MAJOR points. :)

Well, Im in Berlin now.

A lot of history here. Saw the Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, the Zoo (dont see why that area is so infamous though), Checkpoint Charlie, the Berlin Wall Documentation Center, the Holocaust Memorial (which I did not personally care for, I think a different design should have been chosen), the East Side Gallery - 1,5 km of the original wall with artwork on it, etc, etc, etc.

Very surreal feeling, seeing the Wall. Especially standing next to it in the former East Berlin and looking up at the bright blue sky and seeing the birds flying freely over the border. Also strange where theres only a few feet of the wall left, and a line on the sidewalk indicating where it once stood. And then crossing that line, and realizing that 20 short years ago, people were shot for attempting to cross the line that I just crossed.

If youre sensitive, and intelligent, and keep an open-mind and open-eyes you can see a lot that most people wouldnt notice that can really have a deep effect on you.

Ive also purchased a small fragment of the wall and a Soviet Red Army ushanka (winter hat) as souvenirs for myself. Also got my Tatiana a small gift too of course that is currently on its way to her in the mail.

Going to Szczecin in Poland tomorrow, after this its Poland, then one day in London, one day in Limerick, two or three days in Boston, and then HOME. Less than a month now, Im home to her on 7 February.

So I went to Wieliczka today, thanks for the suggestion Earl! It was very impressive..

Yesterday I went to Oswiecim and Brzezinka (Auschwitz and Birkenau).. Very.. well, something else. I have no words for it. :huh:

I got tired of the double standards, and she was 'busy' with applying for a medical residency program. So busy that she didn't have 15 free minutes all week to e-mail me, but she had 30 minutes free everyday to take a walk with another doctor (who was a guy) and to go to one of her Russian friends in NYC for the weekend. I figured if she doesn't have time for me now when shes only applying for the residency program, whats going to happen when shes actually *in* the program and working such crazy hours? She really, really wouldn't have time for me.

I tried to talk to her about all this, but just got mad and said I was a born manipulater, etc. She gets very angry sometimes and was just a rather difficult person all around.

Oh well, I'm looking at it as its more of a loss for her than a loss for me.

So I wasn't killed in the roof collapse, even though all my family was worried that I was. They have a copy of my schedule though and knew I was planning on being in Lodz that day though, so Im not sure why they were worried.

Anyway, Im in Warsaw now. Only nine more days of adventuring - then I go home.

Hard to believe that the adventure is nearing its end. Tomorrow I fly off to London, and then the day after that I fly to Limerick. The day after that (three days from now) I fly back to the US, to Boston. Then on Tuesday (six days from now) I fly down to Baltimore/Washington and my mum picks me up.

All I can say is "Wow".. Sometimes it feels like I've been over here forever.

Well it's definitely been a long time, duder! And you will be glad you did it. When you get out here in this armpit deuce-hole of a place they call "adult life," you will be hard pressed to take 1 week off much less 1 month!

Thanks for sharing your adventures and be safe for the remainder of your journey!