Backpacking through Europe

tyovan4

Before I left I dropped my car off the insrurance for the time that I was going to be gone. No sense paying insurance on the car if its just gonna be sitting in the driveway for a few months while I'm over here.

Well, both of my wonderful fathers cars were broken, so he decided to drive mine into town. And he hit a deer and did severe damage to the car. Now he expects me to pay to fix it. No way Jose.. Told him it shouldnt have been on the road, not my fault his cars werent working, or my fault that he hit the deer - I'm not paying a penny and he has until the first week of February to fix it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, both of my wonderful fathers cars were broken, so he decided to drive mine into town. And he hit a deer and did severe damage to the car. Now he expects me to pay to fix it. No way Jose.. Told him it shouldnt have been on the road, not my fault his cars werent working, or my fault that he hit the deer - I'm not paying a penny and he has until the first week of February to fix it.

What a run of bad luck!! :wall:

In Den Haag now, last two days in Amsterdam. Yes, its as its described. A few blocks of wall to wall brothels. A door with a big window, and a red light above with a woman behind. Most wearing bikinis, but some in lingerie too. A few rather kinky outfits. Gotta get into the sidestreets and alley-ways to see most of it though.

No idea of prices, sorry fellas. One did come out of her booth and grab me and try to get me to 'come in and play', but I wasn't interested. The area gets very annoying due to bums constantly asking you for money and drug dealers constantly trying to sell you cocaine.

Went there, saw that, no pictures though - photography is prohibited (sorry guys)

Forgot to say I was staying IN the Red Light District. Prostitutes were 20 yards down the street from my hostel..

No idea of prices, sorry fellas.

50 euros for 15 minutes in the kamer (room). That's what my friend tells me. :shifty:I My friend recommends one full hour.

Please do not think that Amsterdam is all about the red light districts. (Although, for the record, there are three. Where you are is the largest, theres one in Singel and another in de Pijp district on Ryusdelkade. That's what my friend tells me. But I digress ...)

There are so many other beautiful areas in Amsterdam - just go explore beyond Damrak. Head up that main road until the name changes to Rokin. You can see some pictures I took here. If they still have the #20 tram, you can take that and it will circle the center of the city. Check out Museumplein and Leidesplein.

Den Haag is a much nicer place. While not the capital, it is the seat of government. I recommend the fishing village of Scheivengen (shay'-fuh-ningen). Beautiful.

Was in Den Haag today, I'm there now. Staying down by Holland-Spoor station, incidentally right across the street from a red light district in this city. This happened by chance, not by choice.

Called the lady last night, told her (in Russian even!!) "I love you and I'm very sorry. Please forgive me." She said she was still a little bit angry with me, and that we will talk about this when I get home (in February! :( ) because its not something that should be discussed over the phone, it should be done in person.

Just ordered her Season One of Little Britain for the new DVD player that she brought for herself, should arrive in another 2-3 days. Will be having a half dozen or a dozen red roses delivered to her door when she come back from her friends place in NYC after Orthodox Christmas.

Things have gone from bad to the apoccalypse with her. Might go home early (if she'll talk to me) to try and sort it out

Ok Tyovan ... I do not know you personally and I know even less about this woman. So take this advice with a gigantic grain of salt ... just from what I am gathering from this and prior posts ... my in a nutshell advice is - DO NOT DO IT.

Enjoy yourself and finish your trips. Do not let this thing ruin what should be the time of your life. Yes, be concerned for your relationship ... but, to be brutally honest, if those words were her words, I would venture a guess that going home will not make much of a difference. When things are better "said in person" ... those are usually not good things. Get what I mean?

Broken up with a girl before? Sure, we all have. Did you rebound? Sure, we all do. But how many times in your lifetime do you get to do as much traveling as this? Far far far fewer times. Enjoy yourself, man. Life's too short, and right now, the world is your oyster. In a few years, trust me, it will not.

And the irony of it is? Feigning even a hint of dispondence at this point (i.e., pretending you've got the upperhand) will probably be of much much much greater service to you than not. Nice guys finish last, quimosabe ... I've been learning that the very hard way!!

Someone needs to give you a swift kick in the pants I tell ya. Be cool and stop trying to overanalyze this mess you got yourelf into and enjoy yourself on your trip. Next thing to do is stop putting your foot in your mouth and quit telling your lady friends the dumb things you do that end up loosing them for ya.

I'm honestly ready to go home. I've learned to appreciate things much more. My country, my family, the woman I love, being able to sleep in my own bed without having five other snoring people in the room with me..

I totally agree with you. But in order to appreciate the ordinairy life at home you have to travel the seven seas first. Once youre back safe you will see your home in a more broader prespective and with a heck of experience richer!

Until than, stay safe and enjoy the old continent.

In Ieper (Ypres) now, this is my third and final day here.

Come here and bring your children here, its very much like a religious experience. You will leave here a different person. You wont get the experience going to one cemetary on a guided tour - make your own tour. Go to Hill 62 and climb in the original trenches and dug-outs like I have. Wander the countryside like I have and go to each cemetary you come to and realize theres another one like that a few hundred metres down the road and another and another and another. Go see the names on the Menin Gate - and realize those are only the men they never found - and then go down the road to Tyne Cot and realize that the list at the Gate is far from complete. Go to the German Cemetary and see the mass grave with 20 or 30 thousand men..

Come here and see what war truly means.. Its far far removed from ANYTHING in Ghost Recon..

I leave tomorrow for Brussels as a different person, a better person, because of my experience here..

Come here and bring your children here, its very much like a religious experience. You will leave here a different person ...

I leave tomorrow for Brussels as a different person, a better person, because of my experience here..

And that is why I will never hesitate to encourage anyone to travel. We live in ethnocentric, coccoons. All of us. We tend to neglect the fact that there's an entire world beyond our 10 mile comfort zone. Traveling forces us to realize this ... and, if we have not entirely lost our humanity to the daily grind, encourages us to internalize this.

I have this theory that if everyone in the world were somehow able and did travel to their further reaches, we would have less conflict. Simplky, because it becomes that much harder to objectify those places and people which you have seen, touched, smelled, and heard first hand.

Thanks for sharing, Tyovan! Bon voyage!

Ordered her season one of Little Britain on DVD for x-mas, she finally receieved it and loves it - thinks its really hilarious. Giving her a "call from the future tomorrow" since Ill be calling from Europe in 2006 but itll still be 2005 in the States.

Missed my train stop yesterday at this Rheinland village I was going to. Couldnt figure out how to open the antiquated doors of the train.. :whistle::oops:

No headache, felt fine in the morning.

Was very less than pleased with the German rail service the other day. They sold me a ticket on a train with no open seats. I ended up sitting on the floor. Not amused. In my words in an e-mail to my giflriend "Why the ***k would they sell me a ticket for the train if there wasn't a seat for me on it?"