Backpacking through Europe

tyovan4

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Survived Northern Ireland - got talked into going drinking at a gay bar with my two gay hostel room-mates last night.. If you want more (strictly heterosexual) details: www.xanga.com/tyovan4

I can assure you there will be no gay bar visits when you arrive here in a couple of days! :nono:

It's a 900 year old salt mine and to burn out the dangerous methane gas pockets they used to send guys wearing wet clothing carrying a torch on a really long stick.

Interesting!

I was down a salt mine in Cheshire UK earlier this year, it was extremely interesting. We got to go right to the face and see the machine coring the salt. The most interesting part though was what they did with all these open excavated areas, that resembled huge underground rooms - just like your photo's. They partitioned all these areas off and turned them into huge secure archives, and sold the space off.

It was as close to the x-files as I am ever likely to get. Thousands and thousands of boxes stacked on shelves, and all individualy bar coded.

Survived Northern Ireland - got talked into going drinking at a gay bar with my two gay hostel room-mates last night.. If you want more (strictly heterosexual) details: www.xanga.com/tyovan4

I can assure you there will be no gay bar visits when you arrive here in a couple of days! :nono:

Not that theres anything wrong with that! :rofl:

(Seinfeld inside joke.)

It's a 900 year old salt mine and to burn out the dangerous methane gas pockets they used to send guys wearing wet clothing carrying a torch on a really long stick.

Interesting!

I was down a salt mine in Cheshire UK earlier this year, it was extremely interesting. We got to go right to the face and see the machine coring the salt. The most interesting part though was what they did with all these open excavated areas, that resembled huge underground rooms - just like your photo's. They partitioned all these areas off and turned them into huge secure archives, and sold the space off.

It was as close to the x-files as I am ever likely to get. Thousands and thousands of boxes stacked on shelves, and all individualy bar coded.

Dude, you should buy one of those spaces! Make it the GR.net secret underground..err..lair or something.

And gay bars are fun! haha!

Out.

That's absolutely fine with me mate! :thumbsup:

I still can't believe I went with them.. :blink:

Having a good time here at Rocky's secret bunker somewhere in Fife..

Been having a great time. We went shooting earlier today and I've heard rumours that the targets might be scanned up later tonight and posted on the forums. Also had a really good time at the Black Watch Museum in Perth.

Also went to the pub with Pyro_Monty up in Sheepshagger City, the night was good - but the morning afterwards was no good..

Off to Edinburgh tomorrow....

Soooooooooo, me and Tyovan went shooting today. Check this out, after shooting the target for an hour we came up with an idea - let's make it a moving target! So we brought the target in and when I was ready Todd released it, and as it went flying to the back of the range I let off a single shot.

Neither of us expected it to hit the target at all - turns out it was almost a bull! Then Tyovan almost managed to hit it dead centre too!

t-target.jpg

Hows that!

Tyovan takes aim!

t-rifle.jpg

Not for Rocky. He's got like 10,000 FN FALs in his basement  :ph34r:

Hahaha.

Well, Tyovan is off on the next stage of his awesome journey - Edinburgh. He was lucky too, 10 minutes later to the train station and he would have been stranded in Fife because a fire in a nearby tyre place shut the whole city centre down, trains too. Apparantly there was a gas bottle n the middle of the fire and until it cooled (in about 12 hours) nobody was allowed within a 1 mile radius.

Not for Rocky. He's got like 10,000 FN FALs in his basement  :ph34r:

Hahaha.

Well, Tyovan is off on the next stage of his awesome journey - Edinburgh. He was lucky too, 10 minutes later to the train station and he would have been stranded in Fife because a fire in a nearby tyre place shut the whole city centre down, trains too. Apparantly there was a gas bottle n the middle of the fire and until it cooled (in about 12 hours) nobody was allowed within a 1 mile radius.

I made it here alright. If any other Scots are thinking of coming, I suggest staying well away from Princess Street. I think the entire city is down there, along with a bunch of Italians.. It was like walking through hell, so crowded.

Why didn't you offer me one of those FAL's when I was at your place mate?! :P:D

Definately stay away from Princess Street!

I was the victim of a crime there last night. Walking along the street, minding my own business when I saw a group of 10-20 teenagers..

This one girl comes up to me, and starts dancing around me. Then she starts acting like she's humping me. She takes my hat, and passes it to one of her friends. He trows it into the street. I look at them and ask "What the hell was that for?". At this, they start kicking me in the back of the legs. If there had only been 1 or 2, I would have fought them since I was bigger. But I'm not going to fight on 10:1 or 20:1 odds. So I kept on walking - I wasnt going to bend over in the street to pick up my hat with them all there and give them a prime opportunity to attack me. But this one kid starts running after me with a water bottle on his crotch, acting like hes going after my bum. I knew he wanted to provoke me, so I looked back and laughed and kept on walking. Then they called after me and tried to get me to buy hashish.

This happened right outside the Christmas Market. I found Security there, asked if there were any police about. No, of course not. The police had left about 10 minutes before and security couldn't do anything because it wasn't in the market itself. I could have called 999, but I didn't want to have to file a formal report, identify the kids, etc. So the little chavs got away.

Meanwhile, my opinion of the UK has dropped significantly. I've also lost faith in the British government to keep me safe while I'm a visitor here. I kept thinking about how this would not have happened in Dublin, the Garda there were EVERYWHERE on foot. The UK needs more police to sort out the chavs.

I think I'll come back to visit Rocky and Pyro_Monty again, but otherwise I don't think I'll be back. I've honestly had enough, just from that one incident and I'm now looking forward to leaving the country. Which is a shame, but thats honestly how I feel after this incident...