New Gun Range Practice map

element11

While still trying to get my map out, i was approached by jay316, who had a very cool idea for a map. He asked if i wanted to make a gun range map. I liked the idea, and got started. What i think i am going to do, is have an outdoor map, with several walled in ranges for assault rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, at, and frag etc. The ranges will be equipped with flip up targets as well as moving targets, that are destructable. With the help of jay 316 and zero alpha's scripting techniques, the goal here is to make ranges with animated targets, which destroy when you shoot them, as well as a scoring system, all wrapped up into one mission, with a ranking system at the end. Right now, i have some basic modelling done, and i am working on the first range.

I would like some comments and thoughts as well as ideas. I will post renders of the basic gemoerty, because i would like thoughts on making it better. I also need a bit of help with some distances. What would some of you reccomend for length of a range for an assault rifle, a sniper rifle, pistol etc.? I was thinking around 300-400m for the sniper rifle, 200-300m for the AR, and about 50m for the pistols. What do you guys think? Do you like this idea?

Edited by element11

sound's like a good plan. deffo 'aint seen a target range in gr before. rock-on. :o=

would the sniper targets be moving? would be ace to have to judge a shot from a long distance.

always wanted to ask this question so i will - is it possible for projectiles in gr to be affected by wind? so you would have to account for that also? wouldnt have thought it was - thought i'd ask anyway.

Edited by natsanwa

While still trying to get my map out, i was approached by jay316, who had a very cool idea for a map. He asked if i wanted to make a gun range map. I liked the idea, and got started. What i think i am going to do, is have an outdoor map, with several walled in ranges for assault rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, at, and frag etc. The ranges will be equipped with flip up targets as well as moving targets, that are destructable. With the help of jay 316 and zero alpha's scripting techniques, the goal here is to make ranges with animated targets, which destroy when you shoot them, as well as a scoring system, all wrapped up into one mission, with a ranking system at the end. Right now, i have some basic modelling done, and i am working on the first range.

I would like some comments and thoughts as well as ideas. I will post renders of the basic gemoerty, because i would like thoughts on making it better. I also need a bit of help with some distances. What would some of you reccomend for length of a range for an assault rifle, a sniper rifle, pistol etc.? I was thinking around 300-400m for the sniper rifle, 200-300m for the AR, and about 50m for the pistols. What do you guys think? Do you like this idea?

Nice idea. Good luck with it. I'd go with 300 - 400 for long range rifles, 50 - 200 for rifles, and 3m - 25m for pistols. 50m for handguns is just too much. Granted, the DEA qualifies with handguns at 50m, so it's not entirely unrealistic, but the optimum range for handgun usage is about 21 feet and less.

Thanks <_<

I knew it was mentioned before and it wasnt my idea, but it was never done before, so here i am.

Thank you so much for the helpful links and the sarcastic post.

No problem.

It's nothing personal, It just seems there's a whole new group of "modders" popping up that think they have a "new" idea. They don't know how to mod, haven't read older topics and refuse to do a search to do so. Each and every day there is a new topic about "hey I've got a great idea for a mod". If everyone posted their great new ideas this forum would be nothing but that. If you have a good idea, do a search, see if it can be done first. You need to learn some basics first before you can just pop in with new fantastic ideas. Some of you guys didn't even have 3dsm before you posted your "Great New Map Idea - Get It Here" style topics.

We also have these same guys who can't follow a tutorial, won't read the level building .pdfs, and ignore most constructive advice because they have no idea what experienced modders are talking about. "Mike Schell's tutorial is too hard" or "Mike Schell's tutorial doesn't cover outdoor maps." Mike's tutorial "holds your hand" through the process and an indoor room/map is no different than an outdoor map. It's about reading comprehension and the ability to apply what you've learned.

I feel like these kind of guys just like to waste my time as well as that of others who have an interest in seeing new mods and lending a hand to the new guys. I offer advice to check some 2d collision lines. I'm guessing that this guy didn't have a clue what I was talking about. If he would have checked I could have given further advise on how to solve a problem. Instead, he thinks it's just time to start a new map, a bigger, better idea, involving even more experience and know-how. Anyone else see anything wrong with that?

I've seen these guys come and go, some make lousy mods and release them, others just go away. To me it seems the ones that come in and attempt to learn before asking questions and then are open to advice are the ones who succeed.

Take that all with a grain of salt, it's not just you I'm referring to and not just you in particular, unless you see where it might apply. Sure, I can be a jerk, but I'd help the hell out of you if you'd put any effort into your end of the deal. ;)

sleeper,

you need to find another hobby. you always have negative things to say about people and their efforts (no matter how much heart they put into it)

modding is not for "professionals" as you would have us believe, its for anybody that wants to do it. the guy said he had a new idea and you felt it necessary to put him down and make him feel like crap.

you talk about guys who "cant" follow a tutorial, well mr. Im sure there are many things "those guys" can teach you and sit back and laugh. and for your info, those "tutorials" dont teach you EVERYTHING, even "experienced" modders ask questions and need help with one thing or another from time to time.

I remember you tried to shoot me down when I posted the first renders of my map.

pls do the GR community a favor and stop attacking people so much. if noobs anoy you, you should find another spot to hang out.

sleeper,

you need to find another hobby. you always have negative things to say about people and their efforts (no matter how much heart they put into it)

modding is not for "professionals" as you would have us believe, its for anybody that wants to do it. the guy said he had a new idea and you felt it necessary to put him down and make him feel like crap.

you talk about guys who "cant" follow a tutorial, well mr. Im sure there are many things "those guys" can teach you and sit back and laugh. and for your info, those "tutorials" dont teach you EVERYTHING, even "experienced" modders ask questions and need help with one thing or another from time to time.

I remember you tried to shoot me down when I posted the first renders of my map.

pls do the GR community a favor and stop attacking people so much. if noobs anoy you, you should find another spot to hang out.

I'm no professional myself. I do janitorial work for a living. :thumbsup:

I was asked to keep on topic and not make personal comments. I will abide by that. Although I would like to say that I offered you help plenty of times Lexsis and all you wanted was for me to literally create and give you actual 3d models to cut and paste into your maps. That isn't the way to create a map. You asked others to do the same time and time again. I can't help someone who does that. I have helped several what you call "noobs" in the past, many of which actually released full maps as part of their mods. I would ask you, Lexsis, to at least contribute a mod or two to the community yourself before you ask others such as myself to just leave.

Finally, fully on topic this time:

Element,

The key to making this map will simply be setting up your dynamic objects correctly within the map and the complicated mission scripting that it is going to take. I advise you to read the level building .pdf section for dynamic objects, particularly ones with destruction models. You will also need to look into setting up the animation for these, there should be a sticky post helping with that and if not, someone like Deleyt is quite adept at animation in GR maps.

http://www.reedstargetshootingclub.co.uk/g.../century?page=1

this link will take you to loads of research pics for a traditional british gallery range although Bisleys "century range is famous for its size 100 lanes" most military ranges have rougnly 15 to 25 ish lanes.

500mtr would be a start point for sniping and should go out as far as targets are visable with in GR 25 mtr ranges are generaly used for 9mm ammo, although since the SA80 came in they could also be used.

i have some high quality images of Fig 11 targets for a gallery range that i will try to find for you if you dont have them. converting this image to be used on etr will just require recolouring and a little resizing as there marginaly smaller.

PM me if you do. have a look at AA shooting ranges for training if you have it downloaded.

static range shootings purposes in the militar is to zero the weapon to the individual and to confirm the lessons in aiming off for range and windage that are taught in basic training.

@sleeper. I have every intention of releasing my map. I am having small problems, that i continuously fix as i closer to finishing it. This map probly will be crap, only becausze when i started, i had been modelling for a month, and i did some stupid stuff that i wouldt do now. I can guarantee the gun range will be better constructed than my other map only because i am much more experienced now.

@halo jones: Cool picsd. Thats almost exactly what i am going to do. Only it will be narrower, and the targets are going to flip up and down, and destroy when you shoot them.

http://www.reedstargetshootingclub.co.uk/g.../century?page=1

this link will take you to loads of research pics for a traditional british gallery range although Bisleys "century range is famous for its size 100 lanes" most military ranges have rougnly 15 to 25 ish lanes.

500mtr would be a start point for sniping and should go out as far as targets are visable with in GR 25 mtr ranges are generaly used for 9mm ammo, although since the SA80 came in they could also be used.

i have some high quality images of Fig 11 targets for a gallery range that i will try to find for you if you dont have them. converting this image to be used on etr will just require recolouring and a little resizing as there marginaly smaller.

PM me if you do. have a look at AA shooting ranges for training if you have it downloaded.

static range shootings purposes in the militar is to zero the weapon to the individual and to confirm the lessons in aiming off for range and windage that are taught in basic training.

:kewlpics: Bisley omg :drool::drool: Please make a map of this.

Colin

I made a mission on the training map once for a group of friends to use for a "qualifying" range. One of the things it did was reset the destructed elements if the player moved to a reset zone. Was a great way to allow a practice and qualify round without reloading the map. However, if I remember there were problems with that reset and the objects working properly afterward. So if you have something similiar to this slated for inclusion into your mod, heads up.

Of all the mods ever released, a nice indoor/outdoor style training map with a practice range has always been needed. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create :)

I made a mission on the training map once for a group of friends to use for a "qualifying" range.  One of the things it did was reset the destructed elements if the player moved to a reset zone.  Was a great way to allow a practice and qualify round without reloading the map.  However, if I remember there were problems with that reset and the objects working properly afterward.  So if you have something similiar to this slated for inclusion into your mod, heads up.

Of all the mods ever released, a nice indoor/outdoor style training map with a practice range has always been needed.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you create :)

I remember that one. It positively did have some issues with resetting the objects as you mentioned. This will definitely be something to keep your thoughts on and you may wish to run extensive tests before modelling the full working map. From what I have seen there are issues with the game engine and scripting around dynamic map objects.