NVIDIA GFORCE 2 MX400

BigT4187

I currently have a AGP NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro 32MB video card(according to device manager).

Is the NVIDIA GFORCE 2 MX400 a good upgrade? I have seen them on Ebay really cheap .... between $25 - $40.

I am going to be building a new system for myself in the coming months and was wondering if this card will get me by for a while. Of course I would love to be able to afford top of the line, but there is a budget of around $600.

My current card has been working fine since I purchashed my Dell system in 1999, although GR sometimes runs a little slow. My current system is ... 600MHz P3, 512 MD PC100 RAM. Before you laugh too hard I will be upgrading very soon.

Any words of advice?

Thanks!

Tony

I just pieced a system together for you using NewEgg. Read and be amazed at what $600 will get you:

Case: Dynapower case, 7 expansion slots, 300 WATT PSU included

Motherboard: Asus A7N8X, nForce 2 chipset, 333Mhz FSB, AGP 8x slot, 5 PCI, etc.

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2Ghz

Memory: 2x 256MB of DDR PC 2700 RAM, totalling 512MB

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

Video Card: Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 128MB DDR RAM, 8x AGP

Grand total: $593.98.

Again, this was pieced together, not knowing exactly what you want. Remember, www.newegg.com.

Edited by Crimson

Big T,

If your going to spend money for a new video card, why do it twice? Get something good (I didn't say expensive) now that can be used in your new system too.

As for a specific card, it depends if you want ATI or nVidia. Personally, I recommend the GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB 4X or 8X. The prices have come down significantly since thier debut. I own the 64MB version of that stated card, and I love it. Excellent performance for the money.

If you go ATI, I'd get a 8500. Not quite as fast as the 4200, but cheaper and is still a good card. Again, it depends on your budget.

Just my opinion.

BigT see the topic I posted about hardware below. Though that card is the most used card, doesn't mean that it is a good card. The TI series of cards is the way to go really. If you really want a decent PC and can afford it check out the stuff Crimson found at Newegg.com. I have that mobo, CPU and PC3200 RAM and am very happy with it. That big of an ungrade will last you serveral years and you will be able to play newer games.

Yeah, if you're going to spend the money, spend enough to get a decent card. Get a ti4200 or 8500 (like mine, just skip the 9000). They're both good cards and will serve you for quite some time.

Whiteknight: I'd hate to say several years on anything anymore. My first pc lasted 5 years... any pc today is good if it can last 2 years.

Edited by RooK

Forgot to mention, the system I listed was assuming your going to use your orginall hard drive, disk drives, and the ribbon cables and all that other jazz. Of course, since your computer is pre-fab, it didnt come with an O/S on a disk, did it? That always makes things harder. Anyways, if you need more help, just PM me.

Edit: And no, by todays standards, I would not consider an MX 400 a good card. If you have to get a GeForce 2, go with a GTS.

Edited by Crimson

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice guys! Keep it coming. Since we are talking about it ... here is what I want to do.

On my new system I am going to use my existing hard drives, CDRW drive and DVD drive.

I know that I need a new mobo, CPU (would like to stay with Intel unless someone can convince me otherwise .... I am open to suggestions), and memory.

I run Windows2000 Pro now and will probably install that on the new system unless someone can give me a good reason to go with XP .... or XP Pro.

My problem is I have never built a PC before. I have installed RAM, PCI cards, hard drives, etc. It's just that I am a little nervous about installing a mobo, power supply and CPU. I've heard horror stories about people blowing up thier CPU or mobo with faulty installations. :unsure:

As for a mobo ... I would like something that will last a few years and will allow me to upgrade my CPU and RAM without buying a new mobo. I don't know too much about FSB speeds. I would assume that a 500 FSB is better than a 400 FSB. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? :(

I don't think that I will be overclocking but I would like to have the system be cool enough so I don't run into problems. That being said, I assume I will need a few fans.

If I go with a P4 CPU I would like to get a least a 2.0 GHz.

As for RAM .... I would like at least 512MB. I don't know much about the speeds of RAM so some help and guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have $250 saved so far. Hopefully in a few months I will have the rest.

Can anyone of the experts out there suggest a web site to look at for "how to's" on buliding a PC for a newb?

You guys are a great example of a "community" on the web. I truly do appreciate all of your help. Please keep it coming. Feel free to email me or PM me.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Thanks again.

Tony

I know that I need a new mobo, CPU (would like to stay with Intel unless someone can convince me otherwise .... I am open to suggestions), and memory.

My first PC was a Intel 486Dx2, 2nd was an Intel P133, 3rd was an Intel Celeron 700, 4th is this rig with an AMD Athlon. I am not going back to Intel anytime soon. AMD's cpu are cheaper, usually faster at a lower mhz (see my sig? Mine is 1628mhz and beats a 2ghz P4) and have a better upgrade path. Intel seems to make people want to constantly buy new boards to upgrade to newer CPUs.

I run Windows2000 Pro now and will probably install that on the new system unless someone can give me a good reason to go with XP .... or XP Pro.

Win2kPro should be fine, plenty here use it. WinXP is still more of a gamers machine and has better compatibility overall, which means less work. Other than that, its preference.

My problem is I have never built a PC before.  I have installed RAM, PCI cards, hard drives, etc.  It's just that I am a little nervous about installing a mobo, power supply and CPU.  I've heard horror stories about people blowing up thier CPU or mobo with faulty installations.  :unsure:

Same here when I built this PC back in August. If you can get your hands on magazines like Maximum PC, they usually have specials on how to upgrade/build pcs. But mainly, it's screwing the mb to the case, plugging in wires here and there. I don't know any sites offhand, but a search of 'pc building' will surely bring up something on Google. As long as you follow instructions supplied with the parts you buy, you should be fine.

As for a mobo ... I would like something that will last a few years and will allow me to upgrade my CPU and RAM without buying a new mobo.  I don't know too much about FSB speeds.  I would assume that a 500 FSB is better than a 400 FSB.  Can anyone shed some light on that for me?  :(

If you go AMD, any of the boards with an NForce2 chipset would be great. They're currently the fastest chipsets and offer two things Intel doesn't: dual channel DDR and SATA. One allows for better performance, the other for future hdd tech. Plus, they currently hold the highest overclocks as well as the best 3dmark 2003 score (even over Intel). FSB, or rather what they list, is bs. Look at the true system fsb. AMD runs at 133 (266), 166 (333) and soon 200 (400). Intel runs at 100 (400) and 133 (533). Intel's run at 4 bits of data a clock cycle and AMD's at 2, thus you get your numbers. In the end, it doesn't really matter. Just pick the best FSB available for the cpu you choose in your price range, AMD and Intel are 50/50 in benches for the highend cpus anymore.

I don't think that I will be overclocking but I would like to have the system be cool enough so I don't run into problems.  That being said, I assume I will need a few fans.

As far as overclocking, if you choose, they're basicly equal now. AMD Bartons overclock over 1ghz as well Intels. Fans: get some to fill the exhaust and intakes on your case. Purchasing a good heatsink for the cpu is the most important thing however.

$250 is enough to get you a 2400XP ($132) (2ghz actual, but compares to a 2.4ghz P4) as well as an Epox 8RDA+ Nforce2 mb ($112) with all the trimmings. It will definately last you some time. Prices are from Newegg.com, I've ordered parts for this pc from them twice. Excellent prices and service.

Edited by RooK

Hey Big T,

I don't have much time to post much information at the moment, however I do have a few things to say:

1. Listen to RooK! ;) Honestly, CPU "brand" depends entirely on preference. Intels are seemingly more popular with comsumers, however, they are usually more expensive than thier counterparts AMD. Also, AMD has a reputation for "most bang for your buck". I'd go AMD. Again, it's up to you. :)

2. I did a quick search on Google for "Do it yourself" computer building. Just a few sites to look at as I don't have much time to search:

PC Mechanic

Build your own computer

3. Let us know what hardware you are wanting to purchase (i.e. ram etc.) and we'll make sure it is compatable. Or, if you prefer, some of us can look around for you gear.

4. Win2000 is fine. I use it myself and have no issues with anything. You can upgrade to XP if you want, but why? Put that money towards hardware. :)

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, one more thing: What is the Make and Model of your Hard Drive? It should work with your new hardware, but better not to assume. :)

I can only echo DR and Rook about going with AMD. I am running an Althon XP 2400+ and I like it preformance wise. A similar P4 would have been at least $50 more. As I stated earlier the AMD CPUs have used the same socket on mobo's since they first came out. The Intel CPU's need a different mobo almost everytime they change. You can't drop a P4 in a P3 mobo or vice versa. With a BIOS upgrade you could concievably use a Althon XP in a mobo designed for a AMD T-bird CPU, it just might not preform to it's fullest potenial.

I see no reason why you cannot reuse your current hard disk or optical drives, but something to remember is that you may want to consider a plain old-fashioned CD-ROM. More and more games are being released with pretty stout copy protection (Ubi for one) that is having trouble being read by burners. It can either not let you install the game or corrupt an install or if you do get a good install, not read the disk so you can play the game.

A Builder's Guide to the Ultimate Game Machine

Build Your Own PC

These 2 links can help you with the assembly of your PC. This months Computer Shopper even has an article on building your own PC. Pick one up at a grocery store near you (they may have the March issue still which has picking the parts article, it's the April issue with the neon orange cover that has the build article.)

OS wise you can use the Win2k. I don't really see a need to upgrade OS just yet if you are already using it.

AMD will be cheaper in most every case. Some of the AMD chips are great some are a little flaky. If you plan to overclock I'd say go with a P4. But otherwise just buy an AMD 2200 or higher, itll last you awhile. Then mobo you should get one with nForce2

If you go AMD, any of the boards with an NForce2 chipset would be great. They're currently the fastest chipsets and offer two things Intel doesn't: dual channel DDR and SATA.
This is no longer true.

a 2400XP ($132) (2ghz actual, but compares to a 2.4ghz P4)
Almost.... :devil:

The OS is a no no to upgrade unless you have a source. Software as I stated in other times is a waste most of the time for performance vs. Hardware thats simple.

A computer lasts as long as you can bare with it, my parents are happy with their 5 and 3 year old rigs, but gamers such as us are more demanding. Unless you just have to have the best system in the neighborhood you'll be alright.

Mostly more echoing in this post too. Also if you have any questions it is so much better to ask and be sure than to try and then end up blowing something up. Even if it seems stupid it can't hurt.