Mixing memory brands

Aggressor

Hello all,

Is it alright to mix brands of memory even if they are "identical" in specs with the exception of the brand name.

I just recently got back into gaming and my rig is starting to show its age when running Battlefield 2.

Also any tips on what I can do to my rig (specs in sig) to upgrade performance for BF2 and GR:AW without spending a bundle of money :huh: .

Thanks,

Aggressor

I'm no expert, but as long as the specs are exactly the same, and you're not running in dual channel mode, there is no problem. I'm not certain if the same is true in dual channel mode, but I believe it is. Just make sure that not only the specs, but the quality of the sticks are comparable.

A little research shows general consensus is 70%-90% of the time, as long as the sticks are as identical as you can match them, dual channel mode should work. Just remember that if it doesn't work, don't go looking for a refund/trade-in, unless the sticks also don't work in single channel mode.

One other bit of research shows that Intel motherboards are more finicky. Luckily, you're using an nForce chipset, which tend to be more forgiving.

Again, I'm no expert, but a few minutes searching some reputable tech sites suggests what I posted above.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies :D

Any recommendations for motherboards (AMD processor) and GFX cards?

Based on my system specs is there anything else I should upgrade? or can I just get away with upgrading the CPU to an Athlon XP 3000+ and a GFX card and memory?

AMD XP 2600+ (Barton) @ 2061 MHz

MSI K7N2 Delta-L

Antec 1000 Plusview AMG case

ThermalTake True Power 420 Watt PSU

Dual Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM 120 GB HDs

Kingston 256 x 2 PC 3200 DDR 400 RAM

Samsung 16x DVD-ROM/RW, LG 52x32x52

HIS RADEON 9600 XT TURBO 128 MB DDR PLATINUM VIVO EDITION 500 MHz/325 MHz

I'm planning to upgrade within the next month or so (if nothing unexpected happens) to be ready for GR:AW and to be able to play BF2 just a bit better.

Thanks again.

BF2: I haven't got the game myself but read on other boards that RAM is important to run it fluently.

Your specs as such look OK for today's games so I'd say get more RAM and if you run Dual Channel, get them as "Twin" or "Twisted" pairs, i.e. 2 completely identical blocks.

Check the website for your motherboard for recommended brands of RAM.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

i have officially fried my first cpu about 20 mins ago by trying to overclock it just a bit too much and i am feeling quite noobishly stupid at the moment. the case lights up and the drives work but i do not get a beep and there was a burning smell when i first opened up the case.

i'd appreciate any input anyone can provide; especially the canucks on this forum since most of the online stores do not ship to canada afaik.

i probably get away with just replacing the cpu; but i'm also leaning towards biting the bullet and replacing the mobo and vid card as well.

i need some decent hardware recommendations in the "mid-range" area; something that will last me a couple of years...just like my current set up has. i will be reusing most of the parts that i already have.

noobishly stupid,

Aggressor

ps. for those who have been here a while...i am typing this up on my hp pavilion 7935, yes this bad boy is still around :D

i'd appreciate any input anyone can provide; especially the canucks on this forum since most of the online stores do not ship to canada afaik.

Canada Computers has a location in Waterloo, which should be not that far, judging by your IP addy. They are usually within a percent or two of the best prices in Canada, not counting the occasional deep discount sales.

thanks for the replies.

just an update

i took out the cmos battery and managed to get to the sceen where it shows your information such as bios; hard drives and processor. towards the bottom of the screen i get a message stating "check sum error" related to bios and gives me two options f1 to continue or del to enter setup.

selecting f1 takes me to a black screen with the cursor flashing on top left hand side and floppy disk light on and the same thing happens with the del option.

any ideas on how to proceed from here?

thanks for the replies.

just an update

i took out the cmos battery and managed to get to the sceen where it shows your information such as bios; hard drives and processor. towards the bottom of the screen i get a message stating "check sum error" related to bios and gives me two options f1 to continue or del to enter setup.

selecting f1 takes me to a black screen with the cursor flashing on top left hand side and floppy disk light on and the same thing happens with the del option.

any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Remove the battery again for a full minute, then try again. Don't power on without the battery. Just let it sit for a whole minute.

Check sum error for the BIOS usually means a bad CMOS chip.

When you restart, make sure the drives are empty(CD and FDD), and hit delete to enter setup. Then take a look at the BIOS settings to make sure it sees your HDD's.

If it does, exit the BIOS and reboot. If you get the error, and it goes to that screen with the flashing cursor, it means for some reason, it doesn't see a bootable OS.

But I have the K7N2 Delta ILSR, same BIOS, and I had that problem once. I followed steps above, and it worked. I haven't had an issue since. And mine was due to re-inserting the battery to fast after taking it out. CMOS didn't have a chance to flush.

Edited by Specter

Specter...dude you freaking rawk :D:D

Its up and running at the moment :D

Dannik, thanks for the site; i'll be checking it out.

Thanks to all that have replied :D

This is why I post on GR.NET; all you guys are very helpful :D

Btw, I'm still open to suggestions regarding the possible upgrade.