Windows Vista Product Editions Preview

Colin

I"m just amazed as to where computing is going. though I shouldn't be too upset as I'm not but, If this DRM crap continues, I'll be going to a 64bit Linux distro and stop gaming until Linux gets some worthy games.

But wait!, what's this? I subscribe to Eweek magazine who reported a few weeks back that the RIAA & MPAA are trying to force Linux deveopers to implement Digital rights Management into Linux as well. I don't see any real future in computing, what with DRM being implemented into our motherboards and optical drives, computing will BE Fun!!!!

But as of now, Linux dev's in the article said they have no plans to put DRM into Linux.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m just amazed as to where computing is going. though I shouldn't be too upset as I'm not but, If this DRM crap continues, I'll be going to a 64bit Linux distro and stop gaming until Linux gets some worthy games.

But wait!, what's this? I subscribe to Eweek magazine who reported a few weeks back that the RIAA & MPAA are trying to force Linux deveopers to implement Digital rights Management into Linux as well. I don't see any real future in computing, what with DRM being implemented into our motherboards and optical drives, computing will BE Fun!!!!

But as of now, Linux dev's in the article said they have no plans to put DRM into Linux.

Right now, there are two Linux programs; WiNE, and Crossover Office that will allow you to play games in Linux. NAd the support is only getting better.

BTW, has anyone but me noticed that Vista is starting to look alot like Mac? Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

The sad thing is, except for Linux and the Unix world, most of computing is at a stand still, at best a slow crawl right now.

I don't know that Microsoft will ever catch up. They can't get one file system right that they've been working on for 5 years.

Right now, Microsoft is just too damn bloated as a company, just like their so-called Operating Systems, which are what I like to refer to as retail Spyware.

Vista right now has nothing worth the price they are going to charge.

It's just another version of XP wearing about as much makeup as a hooker on Hollywood Blvd.

DirectX 10 in Vista is apparently going to be the new standard for developing games. Maybe I'll just keep my install of Windows XP forever and play all my games and never get a new game.... Linux is just so sweet... invariably though, there will be a game that I will want to play. I'm not sure that I can justify spending that much money on an operating system when I can get so much more for free with Linux.

DirectX 10 in Vista is apparently going to be the new standard for developing games.  Maybe I'll just keep my install of Windows XP forever and play all my games and never get a new game....  Linux is just so sweet... invariably though, there will be a game that I will want to play.  I'm not sure that I can justify spending that much money on an operating system when I can get so much more for free with Linux.

:notworthy:

I read hundreds of peoples responces to the various versions out to the testers at the moment.

For every single negative responce I could put 50 possitive ones up.

Slaging off a none released OS with out actually trying it shows a high level of ignorance.

Millions of People use Microsoft products and will continue to do so.

Posters in these forums who continually post negative posts about OS and Games like GRAW without actually playing them or using them, DO NOT DO THEMSELVES ANY FAVOURS IN THE RESPECT DEPARTMENT.

Reminders about negative posting.

ZJJ

Constructive and non repetitive posting

Note to all: Everyone has a right to post their opinions whether it is negative or positive. We anticipate that you will keep it constructive and not be a repitition of the same thing over and over again.

With that being said, the staff is doing some of this cleanup now. Keep future posts constructive and non repititive if you want them to stay in the forums.

Rules reminders:

[3.2] Personal attacks : Any posts containing personal or racist attacks will be edited or deleted and the originating account risks banning.

[3.3] Flame wars : If you cannot hold a reasoned debate without resorting to Flaming, you are not welcome here.

[3.12] Disruption Disruptive or persistently argumentative behavior will not be tolerated .

Take Note:

[3.6] Rules : Repeated disregard for Forum Rules or Moderator warnings will result in accounts being banned.

Colin

First, I haven't broken any forum rules in this thread. I haven't insulted anyone or flamed anyone.

Second, I have done nothing but work with and support Windows products for 16 years, including help people here with it for 3 years, so my opinions and concerns are not unfounded, and quite a few of them are based on professional experience. I also read up on Vista, my opinions just don't match yours, and they never will.

Winblows sucks. That's my opinion, and that opinion doesn't hurt a soul.

As for a high level of ignorance, especially with guys like me and FireFly, who are by no means ignorant at all about either Linux or Winblows, we do not even want to start down that road.

As fopr repetitive posting, there are just as many repeat posts in here about positive views of Vista, as there are negative ones. Just about every post in this thread repeats something that is in another post.

But if this stuff isn't hurting anyone, what's the big deal? It's debate and discussion. And it's civil.

But we are all not going to agree, but who cares, as long as the rules are being followed? And not one rule you quoted above has been broken in this thread. So what's the big deal?

Personally, I think we need to save the heavy moderating for when there is a real problem. But that's just me.

Edited by Specter

Well, I guess I just figured it was directed at us, because we are the main posters in this thread with dissenting opinions about anything Microsoft puts out, so it was easy to believe that it was directed at us.

And with getting jumped on about dissenting opinions from others all the time, it was easy to assume that you were directing that at me.

If you weren't, I apologize.

If it was directed at me, it still stands.

Microsoft: Vista Won't Get a Backdoor

Windows Vista won't have a backdoor that could be used by police forces to get into encrypted files, Microsoft has stressed.

In February, a BBC News story suggested that the British government was in discussions with Microsoft over backdoor access to the operating system.

A backdoor is a method of bypassing normal authentication to gain access to a computer without to the PC user knowing.

But Microsoft has now quelled the suggestion that law enforcement might get such access.

Microsoft has not and will not put 'backdoors' into Windows,

a company representative said in a statement sent via e-mail.

But, how are we to believe this from a company that turns over all their search engine records of people who use their search engine, anytime some government entity asks, when they are not legaly obligated to do so?

Also, AOL said that too. Very emphatically, and ended up losing alot of their head programmers because it was a lie, and they did it anyway. They also lost a ton of customers over that little fiasco.

MS wouldn't have to use a backdoor, not the way so much of this is setup. They could do it by simple tracking cookies. Especially now, with the commonality of always on broadband internet connections.

Hell, run a anti-spyware program, and see how many Windows and Windows media player files are recognized as spyware, possibly malicious.

You'll have to pardon me here, but Microsoft can't be trusted. We have seen it over and over again. So you'll have to forgive me if I add that to the Microsoft propaganda list, and don't believe a thing they say.

And then to believe that also after all they stuff they promised us for Vista and stripped out?

Sorry, but their word isn't worth what I clean up after the dog.

Edited by Specter

Vista set to swallow 800MB of RAM, gulp.

Link --->  http://theinquirer.net/?article=30128

Windows Vista Beta 2 postponed, skip the Beta 2 and go for either Beta 3 or Release candidate 1 instead.

Link --->  http://theinquirer.net/?article=30040

800MB of RAM ! !

Good Lord almighty ! !

Definitely going to have to find a way to buy stock in RAM this year, and definitely keeing XP for at least another 2 years.

We are running machines now with 2GB, and we are happy campers. Now they are going to turn out an OS that will probably use 4 GB of HDD sppace, and 800MG of RAM? That's almost half of what people are running.

Geez. You can run BF2 on less RAM than that, and that game is a resource hog.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft announced on Tuesday

that they will once again delay Windows Vista, formerly known as Longhorn, until early next year. 2007

The software giant said it will wrap up development of the new operating system this year and make it available to volume licensing customers in November.

Microsoft’s Windows chief Jim Allchin said the company is delaying the broad launch of the product until January 2007. Allchin also stated that the product will still launch in Microsoft’s next fiscal year, which begins in July, meaning that Microsoft’s overall business for next year shouldn’t be affected.

Allchin stated that some of the additional time was for ensuring security levels, and the company is also working on ironing out usability issues. “We’re trying to crank up the security level higher than ever,†Allchin said. “This came down to a few weeks. We’re trying to do the responsible thing here.â€

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing...

According to a Volish denizen speaking to smarthouse.com, orders have come down from on high to rewrite more than 60 per cent of the consumer version of Vista in a bid to get it ready for the 2007 CES show in Las Vegas.

Although there are some musical chairs, no one appears to have been fired or demoted for a ######-up which has effectively cost Vole 40 per cent of five billion dollars. Link => http://theinquirer.net/?article=30516

Vista gamers need 2GB plus of memory...

1GB memory just to work in Word or Paint using vista. People were claiming that the machine used 400MB of physical memory but it will work like a beaten horse with 512MB. It works slow even with 2GB.

Link => http://theinquirer.net/?article=30503

So I'm curious now...

I'm planning on buying a laptop at the end of the summer (around August) if I move. I was hoping to maybe hold out for the Novemeber release of Vista, but now that it's been pushed back even further... what can I do?

Please don't smash me for wanting Vista. I do want it, but I don't want to upgrade my existing PC to do so. It's easier, and wiser for me just to buy a new laptop with it already installed.

However, I'm in a predicament because I'll need a laptop for school (I could have waited until November, not until January though). So is there something I should look for in a notebook that will allow for an easy upgrade to Vista when it comes out? What hardware will I need?

I figured I'd put this in this thread because others might find it useful as well...

• 1 month later...

The minimum system requirements for Windows Vista Beta 2

Are an 800 MHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) microprocessor, 512 MB of RAM, a 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space, and a CD-ROM drive. For Vista Home Basic, Microsoft recommends a 3D video card and a DVD-compatible optical drive, along with audio and Internet capabilities. For Vista Home Premium, Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions, the company ups the ante with 1 GHz microprocessor, 1 GB of RAM, an "Aero capable" video card, and a 40 GB hard drive. That's it, nothing complicated, and certainly nothing particularly daunting. Forget all that noise about your PC not being able to run Vista.

There is one item here worth pointing out. Notice the "Aero capable" video card recommendation listed above. This specifies a DirectX 9-compliant 3D video card that supports a technology called Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware and includes a new Windows Device Driver Model (WDDM) driver. Before you get too nervous about those requirements, we're basically talking about every 3D video card on the market today. And there's even one integrated graphics chipset--the Intel GMA 950--that fully supports Vista's gorgeous Aero graphics, so even modern low-end notebooks will run Vista beautifully.

If your PC is capable of running Windows Vista, but you don't have a compatible video card, you will see the Aero Basic interface, which is, frankly, pretty ugly. It's supposed to be based on the same basic display technology that was used in Windows XP and previous Windows versions, but it's not very attractive. Hopefully, this mode will be prettied up by the final release. Cross your fingers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This build is a few up from the major Beta 2.

Microsoft releases Vista Pre-RC1 (build 5536) to the public

This is only the 32 Bit version

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/p...n/download.html

I have tried both so far and both are stable on my system.

Over the next few years major changes in OS will be occuring see article below for more details.

Gartner: Windows Vista the last of its kind

By Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com

Vista will be the last version of Windows that exists in its current, monolithic form, according to Gartner.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?R...mp;NewsID=15679