GDC Clinic

the.ronin

I'm glad there are other Fireworks users out there. I thought I might be the only one not using Photoshop.

:) How many o you work with Apple comps? Am I the only one?

I almost got a Powerbook when I bought my laptop. But I was in a hurry and didn't have time to shop around and learn about them.

I do most of my work in PS 7. I have fireworks and freehand, but I've never used them. I also have Illustrator, but I've only used it occasionally.

How do I extract an animation from a video?

I've got a seriously cool animation of a samurai dude - I managed to capture into an avi thats about 12 megs, coming out to 1300 some frames in JASC Animation Shop (what I use to extract images from video). Frame samples below.

I want to isolate the samurai dude - basically delete everything in each frame but the samurai dude. Ultimately, I am going to take all these frames of just the samurai dude doing his thing and importing them all into Flash. I will trace each one to bitmap so smoothen out the edges and give me the ability to resize at will.

What is the easiest, best way to extract just the samurai dude from these images?

I have tried using the wand, but I get too much of the background picture (using Fireworks). I've thought about exporting them all to 16 color gif to make wanding easier but dunno if I want to go through the trouble.

Any suggestions pleeeaassee ... I really like this animation but I do not want to have to lasso each and every single 900 frames I've extracted :(

Sample First Frame as JPG

Sample First Frame as GIF

Just a tip, still not quiet sure what your trying to do with the character.

If you want to single him out as a black silhouette in photoshop. Image/Adjustments/ Threshold

it will single him out pretty well, now u just got to make sure it works for every frame wich can be a problem

i really cant think of an easier way

Ronin, are you magic wanding inside or ouside the Samurai?

Magic wand, inside the guy, set tolerance to 24, Contiguos on,antialias off, feather 0.5

If your trying to create a movie, I would try using a layer mask, and using the above selection method, then switch to the Layer Mask and cut it out of the mask.

This animation is gonna be tricky anyway, because of the Low resolution the guy is at, you've got no tolerance in the image, the sword itself is only about 2-3 pixels wide.

Thanks for the feedback guys ... my ignorance in Photoshop is really showing through here ...

Pozac - Yes, I want to basically delete everything on each frame except for the samurai. Then I intend on importing every frame into Flash where I will trace bitmap each frame. The end result is a samurai animation upwards of 300 frames (I will likely delete a lot of frames).

Born - I've tried both inside and outside. Yes, the tolerance is tricky because of how small the figure is and also because of the dark background. I will try the more detailed settings you mentioned. If you think that sword is touch ... he also has a scabbard that shows through in a number of frames that's even thinner!! :( Can you elaborate more on this 'layer mask'? Is this a Photoshop thing?

Layer mask, is just another layer ontop of your subject layer, in which you cut out a 'hole' (or holes) so you can see the bits underneath you want.Kinda like a stencil.

So you can have any color or scene painted onto the mask and have your samurai can showing through.

In photoshop you can also use this method in the Channels by adding an Alpha Channel, and cutting the samurai shape out of the Alpha layer, this makes the rest of the scene transparent.

Both these methods mean you don't actually alter the original image.

The advantage here is that you cut out the shape in the mask, means you can increase the feathering and improve the smoothness.Then you can use the mask as your image on any coloured background, so you could if you so wanted have a bright green silohete dude dancing about.

It'll solve the problem with the red edges around the guy.

Ronin,

If you wanna send me over say 10-20 original images and one complete one roughly how you want it to look, i'll create an action set for you, so all you'll need to do, is have the actions loaded, triggered by function keys, then all you'll need do is magic wand the inside of the dude, hit a function for each image and photoshop actions will do the rest.

All i need to see is what you want one finished guy to look like.

This can be created in about 4-5 actions on one key press.

Samurai.gif

Edited by BornToKill

Samurai.gif

If that is 2 colors, that is EXACTLY what I am going for ... even the area surrounding the samurai is PERFECT!

Once I have all the frames like this, I plan on importing them all into Flash and trace each one to bitmap - hence, having the minimal colors is key so I can just delete the white portion.

It has been a looong while since I touched Photoshop so please have patience with me in terms of how to incorporate these actions.

Thanks Born!!!!!!!!!!!!

[EDIT] Actually, the width may have to be a bit bigger since the animation effectively spans the area between the two posts (see original image above).

No worries just let me know when you wanna hit it.

Image crop can be any size you want, colors can be any that you want, file type could be any that you want.

Above image is 256 gif, black/white greyshades. But we can do Black on transparent saved as PNG if you want, Flash supports PNG tranparency/opacity, whatevers gonna be easiest for the Flash production.

Right on BTK ... and thanks!!  I'll let you know when I get to this ... right now I feel like a freight train ran into me head first then made a u-turn and rammed into me again.  Prolly gonna crash and its not even 7 pm ... :(

I know I am not of much help here...but since I am just starting to dive into the Flash pool....I appreciate reading any info you two pass back and forth during all this.

Barely dipped my big toe in the Flash pool to date.

HACK

Hey sorry to interrupt here... But i was just interested in how you did the bleding effect in here ronnie ...

I wanted to get something done quick just to try to stear the topic to something else like soldiers and children so that was not very good work in my opinion ...

It is just a bunch of layers on top of an image of a soldier holding a baby. Each layer is a separate rectangular image with a gradient transparency mask (you can see through one end and gradually the image becomes less transparent) and a tint. It was done in Fireworks.

• 2 weeks later...