HackCam

Ben

Information:

Interview/Report: http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/interview-hackcam.htm

Perhaps you remember that interview, but you probably (just like me) never heard anything about it anymore. Yesterday i saw a topic in the CS forums from Gotfrag.com

http://www.gotfrag.com/cs/forums/thread/162843

I thought the 2nd post was interesting:

Hackcam was suppose to be released around 6 months ago (for CSS and CS 1.6).

But some compagnies (including the one i work for), saw the extremely great potential of this program (that is made by a guy that has over 20 years of coding + psychologist from University of Chicago (or Georgia, not sure).

Evertyhing was at the beggining fine : Ubisoft bought the licenses for Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon games.

(and so other, apparently activision, Epic games... but it might be rumors).

Microsoft, in April 2005, decided to buy the game for their upcoming games (Halo3 ?!)­. and they asked to not reveal the project to anyone. Microsoft wants to offer this service first (before CS community, before Ubisoft, etc.)

Agreements have been made during Summer.

but nothing is over yet...

we are hoping a release for CS 1.6 / CSS in beggining of 2006 or so.

Could be just pure speculation/rumors, but then again.. I never expected to see "Ghost Recon" mentioned on a CS forum where 99% of the people don't know the game. Maybe it's because GRNETs report is 2nd searchresult when Googling for hackcam... or maybe UBI did buy a license

Well I don't think anyone knows who has brought the licence for HackCam. Certainly the creator has never divludged this information.

Would be great if this was to be implemented with GRAW. They've been slightly quiet about the situation with regards to anti cheat devices, so who knows, maybe it's Hack Cam they are working on.

Could it be that due to GR.net's exclusive interview with the creator of HackCam, that UBI saw fit to buy the licence and implement it into GRAW? Who knows, but would be superb news if this were to be the case.

Theres just one large flaw with the system, i've seen the demo movie, and was actually quite impressed at how it determined various outcomes, but it cant count for out-of-game influences, by which i mean a comms system.....

taking RvS as example, if a clan player is killed by someone hiding round a corner or in a room, then he'll call to anyone on his comms where he fell, now if he werent the last guy to fall its possible to have a death cam on the where it happened with other members on comms able to tell u if he moves or not.

if he sits dead still its quite likely the remaining team-mate(s) could leg it round the corner already ready aiming at the spot and fire instantly, there wud be no visual or audio clues, it doesn't have to be a common spot and no-one needs to have been there before......

now the interview said that it wudn't increment your score enuf to give a cheating result, but if you did it maybe two or three times it probably would give a cheating rating to you

in that sense the system could tag a lot of clan players as cheaters merely due to TS or something similar....

Edited by Snowy

I see what you mean. Although this will have been accounted for in the end product.

Besides that, I don't think you will have that type of situation happening with every kill. Admins will have to take the fact that sometimes people are lucky and just because someone got a high score for their last kill, doesn't mean it won't go back to normal from then on.

Either way, I still see this as being one of the best solutions to catching cheaters that is out right now. And it's on such a different level that cheaters aren't going to be able to install some kind of cheat to counter it, as it's themselves who will give the game away.

May I also add, that this software had been tested with counter strike: source players via the CAL ladder. And none of these players got anywhere near the points needed for HackCam to accuse you of cheating.

^^ This was months ago, Since then more and more work has been done, so even on earlier versions of this software it was reliable.

If this does come off and proves to be as good as it seems, then it's almost going to be almost impossible to trick it.

o don't get me wrong i'm not aiming to put this down, it'll be a god send if it gets implimented (well!) into GR:AW (pretty please :thumbsup:)

i was just voicing a slight concern over something which is impossible to account for

Edited by Snowy

I know that Snowy. My post was meant along the same lines. Either one of us could be correct, we just won't know until it's released and properly tested that's all.

In either case, there could be very exciting times ahead.

PS - Just trying to find the video of this thing to show it off to people. Although the main web page is down due to being upgraded. Once I've got something I'll add a link in this thread. :)

Nice one Snowy! :)

Out of interest, if you do a google, and type Hackcam video, gr.net's hackcam interview link is the most popular link. If you type in just hackcam, it's the second most popular link. Cool eh? This is where the link to UBI and hackcam must have come from I guess.

This I will say. GRIN isn't any slouch. IF they implement HACKCAM into GR:AW, then we won't need replays to catch cheaters. screenshots of our screens when a cheater is identified will serve as prrof of a cheater. then submit the screen shot to the hall of shame..

This I will say. GRIN isn't any slouch. IF they implement HACKCAM into GR:AW, then we won't need replays to catch cheaters. screenshots of our screens when a cheater is identified will serve as prrof of a cheater. then submit the screen shot to the hall of shame..

Replays as AntiCheat-tool isn't the only reason why they should add replays.

Things like:

- glitching/bugging etc can't be proved without replays

- (frag)movies

- seeing great matches/games

- showing off

- tactical purposes (what went wrong?)

And probably more reasons

Nice one Snowy!  :)

Out of interest, if you do a google, and type Hackcam video, gr.net's hackcam interview link is the most popular link.  If you type in just hackcam, it's the second most popular link.  Cool eh?  This is where the link to UBI and hackcam must have come from I guess.

Ha so it is, infact the top 4 are all links to my report, as results 2 and 3 are pages that link back to mine.

Cool.

Google does like us for a few things, the other favourite is the FN FAL 7.62, which we are the 4th result for, and the reason I get regular requests to provide the weapon to various armies all over the world, seriously.

Anyway, back on topic, nice update on this technology, thanks Ben!

I've only played [GR] competitively on the Mac platform, and during 2 years we "only" had one serious cheating case within our community (wallhack and the works).

Since I got a PC I've only seen and suspected one person of cheating, and that was while playing CSS, so I've never really gotten this cheating hysteria. I assume you PC-[GR] players had a bunch of cheating cases?

I'd hate to have to have yet another resource hog running in the background because of some kids that can't play clean (Of whom I've only met two so far).

Wouldn't it be easier to establish a exclusive community in which everyone trusts each other.

//end naive rant :rolleyes:

Rule No:1 - I've found out that you can never really trust anyone. Many people I've gamed with, who I would have sworn never cheated, have ended up getting caught doing just that. So you can never be 100%.

Anyway, HackCam shouldn't require clients on the server to have this installed on their system for it to be effective. From what I gather, HackCam can run from the server you are currently playing on, so I doubt you would notice any real drain on resources.

Unfortunatly cheating is one of those un accounted for statistics. From my experience, as cobblers said you just cant give all your trust to people you dont know. Even in my classes (game design) I walk by and watch people hacking. Its really sad.

some folks do it once, some are cronic. Most have pride in there game.

That's sad Suli. But you're right on all counts.

I know it's a cliche, but if you cheat, you really are only cheating yourself. I've cheated in SP as I don't see anything wrong with that. But I've never once installed a cheat, not even to see how they work.

But I think cheating is built up a lot more than what it should be. Sure, once a new game comes out you get the influx of the main cheating clans out there trying to spoil it for everyone. But once some new game has been released they soon get bored and jump ship.