GRAW, By Darren Gladstone

Hit the Deck!

Every FPS lets you go prone, crouch, and lean around corners. But when was the last time you dived for cover? It’s probably the most obvious and realistic thing you’d do in a firefight, and it’s being incorporated here. Caught out of position, soldiers can slide on their kneepads or lunge out of harm’s way. You, your troops, and the enemy can (and will) use what’s in the environment to avoid taking a slug to the chest.

This article hit Ghost Recon.net 2 weeks ago but we had to remove the media for Copyright Rules.

Now its avialable on Look Smart. If you missed it the first time round.

Preview Link

Colin

Well, seems as though they are trying to please the PC fans. But the article doesn't have any screens so a real undertsanding can't be had just yet.

the counter sniper thing perked up my ears. hitting Rocky behind a wall as he cowers under my awesome display of firepower, is to be turned to hamburger meat with my counter sniper rifle...muhahahaha!

they are still quite silent about the PC version I think. but hey any news is better than no news at all. :ph34r:

Hit the Deck!

Every FPS lets you go prone, crouch, and lean around corners. But when was the last time you dived for cover? It’s probably the most obvious and realistic thing you’d do in a firefight, and it’s being incorporated here. Caught out of position, soldiers can slide on their kneepads or lunge out of harm’s way. You, your troops, and the enemy can (and will) use what’s in the environment to avoid taking a slug to the chest.

This article hit Ghost Recon.net 2 weeks ago but we had to remove the media for Copyright Rules.

Now its avialable on Look Smart. If you missed it the first time round.

Preview Link

Colin

:rocky:

excuse me, Colin, but "hit the deck" would be for ....ahem....a Navy game..... :rofl:

In the Army it is either "Grenade" or 'Incoming." :thumbsup:

Consider yourself reprimanded!

I cant believe they gonna release i in winter '05 as there is indeed no decent screeny nor a demo out yet.....

Lets hope they dont forget the loyal pc fans............but money talks and ###### walks...............it still doesnt look and feel 100%right for the pc yet for me.....somth is going wrong, maybe too arcade maybe they got probs 'porting' but it aint normal we get that little info on pc still!!

-M-

That was a good find and great read, Colin.

Let's try to look beyond GR:AW and instead recognize that - if only part of what we read is true - PC games are getting a new standard.

Nobody's perfect and with all the good intentions and the non-questionable talents of GRIN, that goes for the new standard GR:AW too.

There'll be patches: a demo could solve items before the final release.

I don't say I'll buy the game but I look forward to its release and the reviews as well as the opinions of some around here.

I'll admit that GR1 is THE game for me and an "updated GR1" will end on my hdd too. The MP part is very important to me - a demo could answer my questions.

I won't buy a "new" game where fancy graphics and effects have priority to the basics of the game but it'll appeal to many other people and that's what it's all about in the end.

Anyone wanna bet that it's gonna come out in February?  It'll be pushed back again, mark my words.

Man I hope not!! :angry:

There are a few differences though, before we didn't have a single PC SCREEN, we didn't have an actual review of the PC version, AND we didn't have a witness such as WK that actually seen the game in person. A small ray of light I guess.

I will not take that bet however.

Edited by Cutter

Anyone wanna bet that it's gonna come out in February?  It'll be pushed back again, mark my words.

Man I hope not!! :angry:

There are a few differences though, before we didn't have a single PC SCREEN, we didn't have an actual review of the PC version, AND we didn't have a witness such as WK that actually seen the game in person. A small ray of light I guess.

I will not take that bet however.

Um ..if I'm NOT mistaken, I do believe the version Whiteknight DID see was of one of the console versions, NOT the PC version. So the PC version is "out to lunch."

Edited by Papa6

Adding such a tool will be a clever move as it suits the community and also Ubisoft.The modders will get the best out of those tools and Ubisoft can benefit from that in new games.

I checked some websites today and later read an article in one of today's newspapers.

The websites described a meeting with a Ubisoft producer, Ben Mattes, involved in “Prince of Persia”. He explained about the game and will also guide gamers thru some of the maps (this is all Denmark related and can be found on http://www.gamereactor.dk )

The interesting thing in the newspaper article was Mr. Mattes’ comment (rough translation as y’all’s language ain’t me mom’s so bear with me):

“Very soon and already within 5 years we will see computer games with a graphics standard on level with the movie Lord of the Rings as we saw it two years ago”

While the graphics in computer games will develop towards what we see in Hollywood productions, there will be the basic difference that games are interactive. It’s the gamer who decides the action whereas movies will remain a passive entertainment.

“It will appear as if you are in a movie. Actually we can already see the first games of this type, like e.g. “Fahrenheit”, an interactive drama where decisions during the game lead to consequences, later in the game. Like in real life”.

A final translation: “It will take some years before game developers are able to take full advantage of the graphics power of cards/consoles and therefore we will only see the real versions of next generation games that contain movie-like sequences, at a later stage.”

GR:AW is a step into this direction but it’s only the beginning. Getting the help from talented modders by giving them a free tool sounds logical. And those who aren’t into modding but play and test the mods, get a demo. So everybody’s happy.