Ubisoft's new direction

Machine

But the problem is, corporations like Ubi in particular, only care about the immediate bottom line.  They don't necessarily use good business sense. 

Lately, Ubi has given me the impression that they only care about the initial bottom line, not what will happen 2 or more years down the road.

You have to remember that Ubi is a publicly traded company subject to quarterly earnings hurdles. So, yes, they do think in short term "bottom line" ... or earnings per share - but that hardly implies bad business sense.

Yes, but it doesn't exactly imply good business sense, either, especially in certain markets and franchises, this one included.

All I know is, if I had so many people witrh a copy of a game I produced on their 'puters, I would sell them upgrade misson and map packs, that are cheap to produce, till they stopped buying them, that is what a franchise is all about.

Lol McDonalds didnt say. "ok we have sold 1 million burgers --- lets stop now!!".

Smart business would have wrung every last dollar out of the GR1 customer base, and UBI never even came close.

JF

Edited by JFSebastian

Another angle, just a thought:

Look at the (planned) development of the X box compared to the PC.

Simply put: the X box aims to become a part of the living room much more than the pc.

So rather than looking at the 14 year old (again: no offense), look at the 9 and 10 year old that in 4-5 years will accept the console as if it was always there.

They'll take it for granted that it's the device to play a game.

Again: just a thought.

Another angle, just a thought:

Look at the (planned) development of the X box compared to the PC.

Simply put: the X box aims to become a part of the living room much more than the pc.

So rather than looking at the 14 year old (again: no offense), look at the 9 and 10 year old that in 4-5 years will accept the console as if it was always there.

They'll take it for granted that it's the device to play a game.

Again: just a thought.

I think that by the time that happens, consoles and PC's may well be one and the same. After all, that is what Bill Gates has even said he wants to do. Get everyone on the same networks, using the same software, etc....

He made a similar statement way back when with the Xbox, about the time Xbox Live was intro'd.

We are fast approaching the point(this is JMO), that hardware sales are going to come to a big slowdown, with the exception of video cards and RAM, because as we can see even with games now, the only real hardware they are taking advantage of is RAM and gfx.

Most software, and even alot of games right now, don't come even close to maxxing out processors, bus speeds, etc. Even with 5Mbps internet connections, we are not near maxxing out our processors and such.

Look at the Xbox, and how it's made:

Bill Gates(God how I HATE him ! !), proved that he could run all of those Xbox games on a PC which is just what the Xbox is, only a closed system, that was 4-6 generations behind what was current at the time. The Xbox is a P3 with an outdated Nvidia graphics card, a small HDD, and RAM, even a network adapter.

Now enter the Xbox 360, which is just a higher performance computer, only now it's a non-standard one, a mutated version of a high-end Mac. The Mac's were hard enough to get software for. But now game companies are in TOTALLY uncharted waters. They don't know what the thing will do. There are reports that all of the dev tools haven't been released by MS, some say because of problems they can't overcome.

Yet Ubi and Sony, and MS bet, in some cases everything, on this new tech, which is fine, except they are rushing it. Because they are rushing it, they are coming up against issues that haven't been encountered before. My guess is, the reason all of the dev tools haven't been released, is that a bunch don't work right, which would explain the delayed release.

Kids already think of the console as the defacto game machine. They have for years. Go say "game" to kids now, even teenagers, and they will say PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.

5 years ago, you said "game" to kids, and you heard Dreamcast, N64, PS, Super Nintendo.

You never heard "PC" as the answer.

Why, I know teenagers now who are old enough to know the difference, and all they think the PC is good for is an internet connection. Some I know have stacks of PC games for their machines, but if the internet is down, they won't go near that PC. They go up to their consoles, and play a game they have had for a year or more, and claim they have nothing to do since the internet doesn't work. They aren't playing that old console game because they like it, they are doing it because it is there, and in their minds, their is nothing better to do.

But as far back as I can remember(and that's a ways, and having the many years experience in the IT field that I do), kids have never associated games with PC's, at least not in "majority of" numbers.