Amazing new video

Poita

Anyone who knows me knows that i'm not a fan of console games and have been ripping the console version of GRAW.

That last video was muddy and the action was plain so i wasn't too impressed.

I've just seen a new one on Gametrailers.com though. It follows the same route but he sets the character to god mode and lets us see a wider range of movements such as rolling, crawling, hopping over a 5 foot fence etc.

There are some dumb parts to it such as 'Eraser' style smoke trails of the rounds he fires and the awful red outline (with green diamons) on the enemys. But even the parts i'm not keen on look freaking amazing. The smoke from the gun barrel is ace as he waves it around (reminds me of the first time i saw 'breath condensation' in GR1). The zoom looks nice and precise with the cross hairs are nice and thin rather than the usual fat ones that most games use.

I'm not too keen on the fact that every round that hits asphalt 'has' to give off a shower of sparks either though.

The fast crawling while prone is very nice and the sideways roll is a prayer answered. Also the general feel of the movement has that heavy feel that makes a game character feel solid and real.

If the x box version looks this good then i'm now officialy excited (despite no news and a probable delay of the PC version.)

Edited by Poita

Of couse knowing my i have things to say about it.

1. The truck blew up! What kind of truck blows up from shooting at the door.

Car shot at , the car should start smoking and glass from the windows breaking..no blowing up. If its a moving vehical then it should stop from radiator/engine shot.

2. The SIGHT(not scope) on the gun was a m68. Howd he get 4x zoom on it with a m68.

3. I agree with Poita- Theres stupid Eraser movie smoke tracers coming from the gun. What the hell is this? Also it didnt even look like it was coming out the barrel, the tracers looked like they were 4ft down coming from the ground.

4. The bullet splash effect was WAY to high.

5. I do like the smoke from the gun but it lasted to long, he didnt shoot enough bullets for it to last that long, acouple seconds then stop.

6. The characters yelling to evac was alittle annoying. But thats nothing really serious.

Edit: Heres the GRAW video poita is talking about

Edited by GRT

Its a longer outtake from a video released other day.

The scoping of targets is just what i envisioned it should be like when you zoom in on an enemy, very nice.

This video is demonstrating the destructable enviroment, i don't see the problem with 50 rounds before a car blows up, man most hollywood films it only takes one bullet in the tyre to blow it up :D also the petrol tank is usually at the back and its not the engine that blows up.So don't see the fuss in what causes the explosion.

Again i see a whole bunch of features added in that where requested by the fans, rolling, clambering movements etc.Sweet.

You'll find this demo is showing off features the game has, and i'm sure somethings can be toggled on and off.We had IFF in GR1, we have it in GR3 just it looks better than a name above the reticule.

One thing i would like to see though is rate of fire toggling shown, picking off enemies at range is done on short burst or single shot precision aiming.I'd like to see that being shown.

The thing that did tickle me was the dead guy with his ass in the air as if he was waiting to recieve....... I'll stop there :wacko:

I've had time to watch that new video a bunch of times now. Make sure you left click on the little 'windows' icon and download the 80 meg one so you can play it full screen, also lets you watch it again at a later time.

I can't believe one honest video has changed me from being very dubious about the whole GR3 affair to being totally psyched. Amazing, all that stupid mocked up footage did was make me wanna vomit, UBI should have just released some plain real footage haha. Now i'm just counting the days. Even the sting of the delay has gone.

Ok the vid. As i write this i'm actually doing a mental exprapolation of what it will be like playing in multi on the pc. As the 360 version looks so good and solid it should be easy for the PC version to be close to what the PC lads want.

First of all the city looks ace. Has an excellent and long draw distance so no more fogophobia. The bits and parts that make up the city look very varied, curb, railings, street lights, trees etc: by that i mean some cities in games look made up by a very limited number of pieces that get re used a lot but this one looks like a real place.

The dude's run speed is spot on, his body movement when running seems to suggest that there won't be any 'run and gun' the way his arms are pumping and his gun is waving all over the place. There doesnt seem to be a fatigue bar in the hud ala FarCry. I'm glad. I'd rather have him just keep up his top speed or just slowdown naturally. I find 'sprint' keys to be a pain. I just want the run key (set to 'always run' to be his top speed.

The sound, action, posture etc as he pumps rounds into the first car are just great. Maybe the car is a little dramatic but at least it took a good pasting to set it off. I'll think twice about laying prone next to a car. If you watch carefully too, as the car explodes he experiences some of the blast and his gun jerks up and his body jolts a bit. he's a good 20 feet away from it so i'm very pleased about that. Imagine you set a car off and an enemy is near it, it might not kill him but it will disturb him. ;) I hope they are explodable in multi.

The map (from what we can see around the ramp) doesnt look linear at all. It looks as if there is lots of places to skank around in to the left and right of the ramp. I can see it being far better than MBC and that map was great. The shaddows look nice and solid too. They look as if they will be quite a factor in choosing what spot to settle down in.

Oh god the 'assisted targetting'. A tag 'ENEMY SOLDIER', his health percentage, the distance to him, a red outline around his body, a diamond over his body 'AND' bracketts at the top left and bottom right of all that info just to keep it neat. Jeee Zusssss. isn't there a millitary term for being swamped with information. I forget what it is but designers of Jet cockpits specialize in simplifying input to pilots cause of it. It's 'Information fatigue' or something.

He seems to drop the first guy at the corner by shooting through it. That means his rounds penetrate two walls as it's a corner. Hmmm

The Roll is very sweet. It's just the right speed. not sure we need a hud icon to tell us he's rolling. The wall hop is just beee ee aaa yootiful. As he approaches the wall an icop option pops up. That's not so good, we would be constantly checking to see what acton is possible. When he reaches the wall he has 'hop wall' and 'exit cover' option. it would be better if he/we just trie an action and if the wall is too high or whateve then nothing happens. I suppose some could get used to checking the hood all the time or we'd just get a sense of what can and can't be done. Still the action is lovely, i'd like to drop a player in multi as he's in mid hop just to see the animation. ;) I wonder if the shot would knock him back over the wall or he'd just become dead weight and slump down.

There doesnt seem to be much sound comming from his roll, walk/run, wall jump etc. Maybe that was just the noise of the convention though.

There is some lame stuff in the vid. Ramerez sounds like a ######. The anim of the capatin on video giving orders looks childish and why would you need to see his face while you are under fire? Some of the textures look a little dull, the barrels are practically pentagonal. I'm a bit tired of crates and barrels in games to be honest. the hud is a mess of un-needed distractions.

These are just niggles though and a lot of it will probably be togglable.

On the whole the solid feel is there. Joint ops, BF2 etc all had promise but in the end the enemy in multi could hop, skip and dance all over the place, just as fast sideways and backwards as forwards and didnt feel as grounded and accountable to gravity and enertia as real people are. You could be squating and they could rush you zig zaging and open up on full auto and still get you. I can't see that happening by the way he moves in this video. The stationary soldier will totally have the advantage here and that was always a big big factor in GR.

Here's to the release (whenever that might be.)

this video gives me some hope as well. I like the speed of things. The drop is quicker which is great, the roll, and the climb as well seem realistic. No sluggish movements.

The looks speed and targeting still seems a little sluggish to me, and not true to real life from my experiences with rifles. Hopefully they will give you the ability to adjust the look speed to some degree that's still realistic.

I'm still hoping they emphasize single shot more on shooting from a distance. All they would have to do create a curve to cut down the accuracy of automatic fire from a certain distance. This would encourage the use of single shot accuracy and more realism. And please make the rate of fire switch a single button, and not a menu driven process like it was in GR2 and SS. (the black button was perfect on [GR])

Im curious too why the single player vids seems to look and feel so differently than the mulitplayer vids I have seen. The multiplayer vids I've seen look like the same old GR2 :( , and the single player vids seem to feel like a diff more improved version of the game. Hopefully the Multiplayer will match the single player experience and be a step away from GR2.

I still want to see a vid in 1st person view.

2. The SIGHT(not scope) on the gun was a m68. Howd he get 4x zoom on it with a m68.

Pause the video after when he shoot the boxes or any of the time he waves the gun so you can see it from the side, you see that the scope looks very similar to the ACOG 4x, not M68 Aimpoint.

This video is demonstrating the destructable enviroment, i don't see the problem with 50 rounds before a car blows up, man most hollywood films it only takes one bullet in the tyre to blow it up  :D also the petrol tank is usually at the back and its not the engine that blows up.So don't see the fuss in what causes the explosion.

i don't suppose you get 'mythbusters' over there, but they proved a car will not explode when you put rounds into the gas tank. this is my anal retentive opinion: it doesn't matter how many rounds it takes ... blowing up vehicles with bullets will always be cheesy and unrealistic.

that doesn't mean it's a bad game, though :)

Pause the video after when he shoot the boxes or any of the time he waves the gun so you can see it from the side, you see that the scope looks very similar to the ACOG 4x, not M68 Aimpoint.

Alright, im wrong its one less thing for me to worry about.

Edited by GRT

1. The truck blew up! What kind of truck blows up from shooting at the door.

Car shot at , the car should start smoking and glass from the windows breaking..no blowing up. If its a moving vehical then it should stop from radiator/engine shot.

3. I agree with Poita- Theres stupid Eraser movie smoke tracers coming from the gun. What the hell is this? Also it didnt even look like it was coming out the barrel, the tracers looked like they were 4ft down coming from the ground.

4. The bullet splash effect was WAY to high.

5. I do like the smoke from the gun but it lasted to long, he didnt shoot enough bullets for it to last that long, acouple seconds then stop.

6. The characters yelling to evac was alittle annoying. But thats nothing really serious.

Edit: Heres the GRAW video poita is talking about

1. i think the car explosion looked realistic, u know it took 97 rounds to do that.

2. i think the scope was an acog 4x, 4X

3. this i do agree on what the **** are those contrails doing? thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen!

4. i liked the bullets sparking, thought it also looked pretty good.

5 i also think the smoke was a little overdone, needs to be way shorter.

6. i had nothing really wrong with the guys talking, but one question, where are u getting the picture from? if ramirez is alone, whos taping him? is it one of those UAV's? i dont get that.

i loved the movement! it looked so fluid and realistic it just amazed the s*** out of me. the rolling, climbing, and just the walking and running were awesome.

that damn outline! it doesnt just flash when u put your crosshairs over it, but stays there, and blacks the enemy's whole figure, it destroys every definable feature on the enemy, HATE IT!

but for us PCers we gotta remember this is just the stupid 360 version, we havent even seen any real pc footage yet. CANT WAIT, even if release is pushed back, was really wishing for GRAW/CHRISTMAS