GRAW PC HUD discussion.

Perhaps we can take the oppertunity of 'more time' to paint a clear picture of what we totally hate and what we'd like to see for the GRAW HUD.

Please keep your input to the HUD only. Hopefully UBI/RSE/GRIN can save time on the subject by reading it all here instead of having to filter and collate it from the various topics.

I don't think i'm alone in saying that I hate the idea of any form of 'assisted targeting'. Outlines, diamonds etc should be taken out of the game or at the very least made server side togglable (and we all know thats the same as them being removed cause no host will turn em on) ;)

Other HUD input please.

HUD LINK.

New Hud Bottom picture.

Edited by Colin

I really like the HUD, it's technology that is realistic and will be incorporated soon for the soldiers. I thought that ghost recon from day one made clear that this is futuristic and the game emphises use of advanced equipment for achieving your goals.

Are we looking for a ww2 shooter or a 21st century tactical combat game?

I like the HUD and I think it should be kept on by default but give the user an option to turn it off... very simple to do.

the question is, are you trying to make this game something it isn't meant to be? I'm sure hardcore fan base opinions matter a lot but I was under the impression that ghost recon is about advanced fighting.

I'm wrong?

I dont care whether its in or out of the game. To take out these identification systems and hud is to not being realistic about the time frames this game takes place in. The Title of the game would also be confusing... I mean, I thought this was advanced worrior!? This is like a soldier from the 90's.... same old stuff...

If you take out the technology in the game, then whats the point in it being ghost recon ADVANCED WARRIOR.

Edited by whoa182

The year that GRAW is set in is not so far in to future. I know for a fact that this enemy regognition software is a pipe dream. There is no way they could throw a squad of soldiers into a bustling city and have a computer system distinguish between all the people and point out who the bad guys are.

Guys carrying brooms would be tagged and lots of cases of mistaken identity would arise. Computers still arn't close to being sophisticated enough to have a car drive down a high way and be navigated by a camera equipped computer and a highway has reletlivly few variables. A city like Mexico city is a riot of colour, shapes, people, sounds etc. No way in hell any system in the next 50 years could reliably sort out the threats from all that confusion.

It may happen one day but not in the time fram of the game.

The HUD tries to represent the pipe dream but even if it was possible, most people just dont want all that clutter getting in the way. They just want to use their own eyes and ears and enjoy the environments and threats etc.

ok dude i'll be interested to read them actually.

Just make sure you bear in mind the 'lab conditions' of all the research so far. The real world has a tendency to complicate things. In the GR video it's empty streets but in a city teeming with people it's just too complicated. Some video recognition software is great such as facial regonition bu thats a specialized area. Recognising bad guys when they might even be hiding their weapons is a whole nother matter.

Anyway back to the hud chat.

The year that GRAW is set in is not so far in to future. I know for a fact that this enemy regognition software is a pipe dream. There is no way they could throw a squad of soldiers into a bustling city and have a computer system distinguish between all the people and point out who the bad guys are.

maybe its more like in "far cry". either you or your mates spot an enemy and from then on they're marked with a red diamond. for me, this makes sense and isnt too futuristic if you keep the "future warrior"-program in mind.

@ whoa182: i'm with you on that. i thought exactly the same. :thumbsup:

maybe its more like in "far cry". either you or your mates spot an enemy and from then on they're marked with a red diamond. for me, this makes sense and isnt too futuristic if you keep the "future warrior"-program in mind.

:yes:

[Crosscom] also relays details like enemy whereabouts in the form of HUD icons to other team members, If one squad member can see a target , the whole squad can keep tabs on his position, even through walls, Add this information to a satellite tactical map and your Ghosts have unprecedented situational awareness

Don't forget the Ghosts are going up against a numerically superior force, they are going to need every technological edge they can.

I'm sure GRIN wouldn't include anything "uber weapon" that makes the game unbalanced and It's not like it's an auto aimbot, you're still going to need a lot of tactics and hard work to beat the OPFOR.

It's probably just the modern equivalent of the originals "command map red dot" and as has been said hopefully there will be an option to turn it on/off for those that really don't want to use it.

Its "balance" as you say thats key for all of this.

Currently im into sure about the diamonds through walls things, deffo the "through walls" ... that smells like a wall hack in MP. Diamonds if its other team mates confirming enemy but not the see through walls thing, thats crap.

It may be a case of once its on my pc and play the missions and AI are geared so much toward tactics that you end up needing that feature and then realised why it was put in.

I think based on "Balance" toward what GRAW offers with future soldier features and what gamers like/want .. the options of the HUD should most definately be a toggled on/off feature for all parts of it ... a choice, basicly.

As regards the HUD with compass weapon/ammo as long as that is scalable like GR1 and can be smaller with higher res than thats ok.

Edited by calius

About the red diamonds:

I think they have to be toggable for both single player and multiplayer, at least.

If this technology will be in use or not, it's hard to guess.

However, what has to be taken in consideration is that, for a great deal of players (including me), this kind of IFF defeats the purpose of locating and keeping track of the enemy with your own eyes - especially for multiplayer team vs team.

As for the rest of the HUD, I think it's looking pretty good. It's semi-transparent, much smaller than it was before, and pretty clean. There's still room for improvement though, i.e. the compass could be a bit smaller, and the squad members status (where your teammates' health bars are displayed) could be relocated to the bottom-left corner (just above the player's health bar) as to keep the left corner of the screen free of obstructions.

Edited by SAF_Night Scope

I like the hud except for 2 things.

1, I dont like big fat letters flashing telling me whats going on, i.e. LOCKED. I can understand there needs to be an indication of some kind, but the big text hiting me up side te head is annoying to me. Id be happier with a version of the same thing just 300% smaller and moved maybe inside the ret or to a corner.

2, Of course I hate the dimonds. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. Take the challenge out of the game, it dumbs down the game, and no matter whats being developed in real life, its UNREALISTIC. You got to remember, in the 60's the army was testing out jet packs to arm every soldier of the future. Obviously that hasnt happened. There is realistic, then there is wishful realism. These red dimonds SUCK. Even if we could turn the sucker off, yes I would be happy, but it disturbs me that there is still those in the develpment process that thing this is a good idea.

Computer power and communications are growing exponentially. By 2020 we will have desktop computers with the equiv power of a human brain if current trends continue. This technology is realisitc... Also the diamonds could mean that they are potential threats. Friendlies will have some sort of radio frequency chips I assume.

Sorry I havn' provided sources yet, I'll get them for you... I've just been a bit busy with finishing off some work.

Edited by whoa182

Ill be the firt to admit that technology is amazing, and that what we see is usually about a decade behind of whats being developed. The stealth bomber was in development shortly after ww2, so yes I can see it being realistic technology, in theory.

At the same time if my argument was for realism, Id bet all my money that soldiers wont have this technology in 2013. Testing stuff out, yeah, I see the story line changed a bit to reflect that this team is testing out this ultra hightech equipment, so with that it makes it sound more believable.

But my main argument for not having it is for simple gamplay. only the worst FPS give you a bright indication of where the ememy is. The whole idea of giving away the position of the enemy to the play defeats what I enjoyed about the game to begin with which was to stay alert and really scope out the targets. With a big red dimond, gone is the day when a well placed sniper will take you out because you were too carless to pay closer attention.

How is a teammates visual confirmation of an enemy showing up as triangle any worse than a dot on a map? A well placed sniper in GR1 can be defeated the same way, all you have to do is keep hitting the map button every 2 seconds. Hopefully GRIN just makes it toggleable for SP and as an MP server option, problem solved.

Nobody is going to miss a big red triangle on thier screen placed over thier target. No need for confirmation, no need to toggle to a map. no need for look for anything except red triangles on your screen.

Ive gotten shot more than enough time trying to look at my map and more than enough times that I couldnt translate the red dot to an actual location in time.

so to answer your question, IMO, HUGE difference.

Edited by smokin

I dont think that enemy always has a red diamond over them... From looking at the last video for the console, one of the enemies was not identified by the system as a target.

Aslong as there is an option I don't mind, I'll probably not use the diamond thing either.... but at the same time i'm personally not bothered if it exists for SP only.

I hope its optional

EDIT:

Looking at that video again... the diamond and target ident system they have is great!, it seems to only give away enemy positions when the weapon is aimed at them or maybe you get other Intel from other team members or whatever?

check out the new vid http://www.gametrailers.com/

Edited by whoa182

hmmmm :unsure:

Well my first impression was eeeeK but then I thought about it & now :blink:

Heres my summary of what I feel

1) Smoke trails? take a hike. I don't like them at all

2) the hud would need to be toggable. If it's based on a little screen that flips down I want the ability to flip it out the way.

3) The Blue objective/destination Icon takes up far to much space. Personally I prefer a small descrete compass with a direction marker. but if they just shrunk it & toned it down Id be happier. If it is released with it as is I'd want to turn it off completely.

4) As for the red enemy triangles. hmmm. If they only show if the drone/probe thingy has direct line of sight & the drone/probe thingys can be shot down & you only have a small limited number of them. Then I could live with it. But I agree it should be server switchable probably a bit like a kit restriction. That way they will be helpfull but you can't rely on them :thumbsup: adding another tactical element.

5) The red body through the wall is a defnate nono. It's one thnig knowing where some one is but when you can see how there moveing & what position there in!!!