Tom Clancy

Colin

I have played the game, seen a couple of films, Red October, well I thought I would read a book.

How ever I did not realise how many books/Novels this Author has done.

Where is the best place to start???.

Colin.

Clear and Present Danger

Jack Ryan is an intrepid CIA agent. The director of intelligence has recently fallen ill and Ryan takes over. He is called on by the President of the United States to solve the murder of businessman Hardin and his family upon their yacht. Ryan discov...

Debt of Honor

Japan, now with nuclear weapons, tries to sabotage the US financial market and take over US islands that Japanese loyalists think are rightfully theirs as well as attacking a US fleet in the Pacific. Throw Jack Ryan, now the National Security Advisor...

Executive Orders

In the story, the new leader of Iran is determined to begin a modern jihad against the rest of the world, beginning with the conquest of Iraq, and eventually ending with the conquest of the entire Arabian Peninsula. The only thing he had to wait for ...

Hidden Agendas - Net Force

Computers are extremely advanced. They control nearly everything, and they are involved significantly in everyday life... Kat - a newly wed, college senior, was blown to unrecognizable pieces. Her body was turned into a pile of mush because someon...

Net Force

Alex Micheals is the lieutenant commander of the FBI organzation, Net Force. The Commander, Steve Day, is murdered by hitmen, and Michaels is forced into the position of Commander. Michaels, along with the rest of Net Force, tries to hunt down Day...

Night Moves - Net Force 3

Alex Michaels, head of FBI Net Force, is vacationing in London when he hears of his top programmer having a computer induced stroke. Michaels cuts his vacation short, and must work with Britain's MI6 in order to stop this threat. The threat comes fro...

Patriot Games

Dr. Ryan was on holiday in London with his family when he was caught in the middle of a terrorist attack upon the Prince of Wales. His instincts took over and Ryan used his Marine officer skills to thwart the attack, killing at least one of the terro...

Rainbow Six

The top special forces operatives are gathered and form one group called RAINBOW. Their job is to fight terrorism where ever their help is needed. When a radical environmentalist group threatens the world rainbow will be pushed to the edge and back....

Red Rabbit

The KGB have plotted to kill the Pope and Ryan must help a KGB agent out of the USSR who knows the truth. Set between Patriot Games and Hunt for Red October, this gives a glimpse into the early and young Jack Ryan. While the flashback to the arly 8...

Red Storm Rising

It is the late 1980s, and the USSR is in trouble. Muslim terrorists have destroyed the largest oil refinery in the Soviet Union, and in 6 months, the USSR will run out of oil. Faced with this disaster, the Politburo makes a fateful decision. To survi...

SSN

Fantastic book, as are all Clancy novels. This book is based on a game created by Clancy...While the game leaves much to be desired, the book is wonderful. There are 15 scenarios in the book, and all are action packed. While this is far from the n...

State of Siege - Tom Clancy's Op-Center 6

"A group of U.N. officers attack on the U.N. Builkding in New York.They have taken Paul Hoods dauter and the other people in the U.N. security Councilhostage.Now paul has to get his kid back,and trying to stop these heart less terrorists"...

Author Tom Clancy has also written the following novels:

The Bear and the Dragon

In the city of Moscow, a notorious pimp is killed with a military weapon, by unknown assailants. In the city of Beijing, a political secretary begins an affair with a CIA agent posing as a Japanese salaryman. In Washington, D.C., President Jack...

The Cardinal of the Kremlin

Russia and America are developing new satellites and will do anything to get the others secrets....

The Hunt For Red October

Russian Captain Marko Ramius is fed up with his country and its society, particularly because his wife was killed due to communism. He comes up with a plan to defect to the west, via a new Russian submarine known as Red October with a silent propulsi...

The Sum of All Fears

After the discovery of a damaged Israeli nuclear bomb which had gone missing in 1973, Arabs, who got their hands on this weapon of mass destruction, seek the help of a German scientist who helps them replicate the bomb in order for it to be used agai...

The Teeth of the Tiger

Clancy introduces three new characters tied to Jack Ryan; his son Jack Jr., and two nephews, the Caruso twins. These three young men form part of a new antiterrorist organization that is completely independent of all the formal government agencies. T...

Without Remorse

After the death of his wife, in a car accident, John Kelly, 6 months after the unfortunate accident befriends a prostitute, Pamela Madden. As time goes by, the two are drawn closer to each other, and they're relationship forms into love. This forces ...

breaking point. Autum 2005

C.

You could go chronologically, but I reccomend starting with Red Storm Rising, because it rules. Or Without Remorse, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games, or Rainbow Six. Red Storm Rising is just a good story that has nothing to do with the actual Clancy Universe. Without Remorse is the first appearance of John Clarke, and is probably Tom Clancy's best novel imo. Start with one of those two.

Depends what your looking for, the best TC books IMHO are in no particular order

The Hunt for Red October - Naval Operations

Red Storm Rising - All Branches of armed forces

Without Remorse - Special Forces/Personal vendetta

All are different but top class in their own right.

If you had to pick just one book, and you have a gaming background, I think Rainbow Six is a good read on its own, even if you don't have the background from the previous novels.

If you have the time to actually get through a stack of thick novels, I definitely would start from Clancy's earlier Jack Ryan novels in the order they were written.

Don't bother with Net Force or Op Center etc. which are written by other authors and just have Clancy's name stamped on the cover.

I would have to say that Without Remorse, and then Rainbow 6, would definitely be the way to go if you could only get 1 or 2 books.

Then as stated before, I would read them in the order they were written.

Skip NetForce though. I thought they stank, IMO.

I never did read the OpCenter series, though. Got kinda turned off after the miserable failure of NetForce.

The actual books written by Clancy himself are really good.

But you could safely start with Without Remorse and Rainbow Six, as they really aren't tied into Jack Ryan's Universe. :thumbsup:

Thank You all who replied to this.

Chrono is the order. Ill go with that.

Colin :thumbsup:

Don't forget that the two I mentioned, you can basically read anytime.

I would recommend Without remorse first. It doesn't tie into the Jack Ryan series per se, but John Clark does, and this book is about how Mr.C came to be. Not only that, but it is one Kick @$$ read ! ! One of Clancy's best, I think ! !

I don't like Tom Clancy's style although I like how his novels seem real, like the games!

Rainbow 6 is IMHO, and here the community will kill me, one of the much boring novel I read. I rather enjoyed Executive orders (except the last hundred pages) and found quite nice Red October even if the movie is better.

An easy reading novel is Politika

I have read 95% (All but NetForce), and can echo what others have said. Without Remorse & R6 are great on their own, you can't go wrong. The Jack Ryan's are a must read in Chronological Order, they make more sense that way, characters, backdrops, sub-plots and such. Finally, OpCenter believe it or not, make a decent driving companion if you can get them on CD, albiet abridged, they pass the time nicely.

But you could safely start with Without Remorse and Rainbow Six, as they really aren't tied into Jack Ryan's Universe. :thumbsup:

Raimbow Six is tied into the Jack Ryan universe. Who do you think was President when Clark was given the orders to form Rainbow?

While Without Remorse isn't exactly about Ryan, it explains how Clark was first hired by the CIA which ultimately led to he and Ryan meeting.

As we both said though, read them in the order they were written. While the timeline jumps around, an astute person will figure everything out.

Raimbow Six is tied into the Jack Ryan universe. Who do you think was President when Clark was given the orders to form Rainbow?

While Without Remorse isn't exactly about Ryan, it explains how Clark was first hired by the CIA which ultimately led to he and Ryan meeting.

As we both said though, read them in the order they were written. While the timeline jumps around, an astute person will figure everything out.

Yes, Ryan was president. But in the book, that's as far as it went. Ryan really had nothing at all to do with that book, except to mention he was president.

That's why I said it could be read at anytime, because it really has no real tie in, unless it does in some of the later books.