Weapon malfunctions?

I just read in a topic below regarding the mag. article that there will be equipment malfunctions...does this mean weapon malfunctions? My last request is that GRIN programs in a random FTF (failure to fire) for every 100 rounds from the pistol, and one FTF every 750 rounds from a 5.56.

Here's why this is topical for me - you guys know on the weekends I am an officer in the reserve component - officers did weapons re-qualification today - in my first 40 rounds from the Beretta M-9 I had 2 FTFs. Both were failure to feed issues. Both were associated with aging magazines and weakened feed lips onthe mag. FTFs are so common that in our preliminary marsksmanship instruction (PMI) that we do before every re-qualification, the instructor goes over what actions we should take in case of a FTF.

Contrast this with the SAW made by FN, it is extremely solid, with FTF normally only resulting from an ammunition defect, which is extremely rare with lake city m855.

Also, in hot arid weather, tracers can set fires. we had a small brush fire today. I also saw smoke grenades set tiny fires in the past.

I would love to see FTFs programmed in for pistols and for the M-16, and unintended consequences interactive environments like a brush fire every 1000 tracer rounds.

I'm asking for a lot, but nothing you guys can't do!

I've been in the army for the past year and a half during which i got to shoot atleast some 2k bullets with an M16 and had only a single jam due to 'double feed' caused by faulty mags. that same gun was shipped to us (IDF) as us army surplus...goes to show you that proper maintenance (cleaning mostly) can reduce gun generated jams by 80% and you'de expect a special force team like the ghosts to have their weapons cleaned atleast once a week / prior to embarking on a mission...

OK -all valid points. Since 1988, I have put more rounds through an M16 (and a nice array of other small arms) than I can count, and had more malfunctions than I remember. From failure to extract due to chippped extractor or worn ejector pin, to 2 broken firing pins, to old magazines. I even broke one of the two receiver pins that holds the weapon together. I have bent the front sight pin. I have bent the barrel (don't ask).

Here's the bad news - we still have old "Sanchez" magazines in the system made in the 80s. All of the followers have been replaced with "green" followers which helps, but old magazines do cause malfunctions. I'm happy to report that none of my malfunctions were EVER due to dirty weapons... :thumbsup:

It may be more realistic, but in terms of gameplay and fun I don't think I'd like to see this. There were a couple of missions in GR1 that took me a good few attempts to clear, I'd be pretty p**sed if I was just about through a mission when I got a FTF and had to restart the whole thing. If it is to be in the game, hopefully there'll be an option to turn it off.

Lizard,Oct 2 2005, 08:37 PM]

Weapon Jams would cause some seriouse cursing ... It might be fun.

Agreed :rofl:

It would add an additional layer to the game which I would never mind. That said, it's a feature that can be easily screwed up if gun jams happen too often or happen without an idication of what happened. Also, not sure how modable the game will be, but I imagine for mods for WW2 era, that would be a feature that would be used more often without sacrificing realism.

While I wouldnt mind it being implimented, it would only be extra icing, a small detail I can apreciate.

I think guns in AA jam way to often,

but if you ever noticed they rarley jam on clean maps, but any of the desert ones they seem to jam more frequiently.....

i had 2 guys rush me, the first one in i shot, but i ran out of bullets, the 2nd guy came in and thought he was definitly going ot kill me....

i looked at him all worried while reloading... he looked at me.... pulled the trigger.... #%U@(@ he jams,

u see that little lookin his face like oh crap.

I've spoken to alot of green berets and they use alot of "proofing" rounds. What are they? they are rounds that have more powder than normal and are normally used to test fire weapons. like testing 9mm pistols. berreta receivers cracked after so many rounds whereby taurus uses a higher strength steel in it's receivers. But proofing rounds are alot more powerful.

maybe someone else can elaborate more since I've been out of the Army for like 10 years now.

Good topic. I'm not partial to having or not having the feature, but it is an interesting idea.

Ask anyone that has been to an MG shoot and they will tell you that jams are very common. Remember that the M16 started life as an AR10 (a gun that virtually never jams), but now shoots a very weak cartridge by comparison.

Regardless of how often you clean it, if you are dumping rounds in full auto fire, an M16 WILL jam sooner or later (most likely sooner). I personally have never been through more than five mags before a jam has occured.

Try dumping a beta, and you are almost guaranteed to have a jam.

Is the M16 even going to be in the game?  :huh:

I hope so! :gun:

When we talk about the M-16, we are also talking about the M-4, the SOPMOD, the Shrike, the SPR, and arguably the Knight's sniper rifle....All based on the Gene Stoner Armalite design. That one fires a 5.56 and the other fires a 7.62 makes little difference, same gas system.

hmm weapon jamming... that could end the nade and support spam on servers that are mp team vs team... could be a good thing... it will also cut down on the run and gun.... can see it now... some 13 year old running into fire thinking he can pick everything off when his weapon jams and as he clears it he's a sitting duck... woo hoo!!

If included, make it more likely for guys on the run then not or firing full auto.

amen.