Feature question?

newman

I have some memory of GRAW having a streaming engine.... not sure where i got this idea but would be great to walk from one end of the city to the other.

Is it real or was i just dreaming?

I was interested in this question, a strange question at that.

And the answer even stranger.

Now that you have our attention :) I have a question are you refereing to this.

http://give-lab.cs.uu.nl/ve&gd/raytracing.pdf

Is this what you are talking about? if yes it would answer a lot of very relevent questions to the game.

Colin

I think that what they mean by a Streaming Engine is that the entire gameworld exists all in one level as opposed to being split in levels.

To cope with the massive polygon counts that such a level/map would contain only those ploygons within view or a set range are 'streamed' into view.

Just a guess.

Raytracing on the other hand is a rendering technique to deliver more realistic renderings by calculating light rays and how they reflect/refract around a scene rather than giving you a flat render.

I was interested in this question, a strange question at that.

And the answer even stranger.

Now that you have our attention  :) I have a question are you refereing to this.

http://give-lab.cs.uu.nl/ve&gd/raytracing.pdf

Is this what you are talking about? if yes it would answer a lot of very relevent questions to the game.

Colin

My question would have more effect on the size of maps and load times.

AFAIK

Streaming engines would load the art assets for the immediate area and then load additional content as the player progresses without Loading Screens.

and hopefully, to go a step further, be able to play throught the whole game without exiting to main menues or having loading screens that pull you out of the action.

If they did this you could recieve Intel and orders ingame and essentialy feal like a real soldier on the ground and in the fight in real time.

Which makes me wonder if they implemented time of day? Night vision anyone?

the document you pointed out would have to do with how the game looks visualy.

@ Bo

Thought you would drop by and say hello. btw…

Is everything on schedule over there?

How’s the demo coming?

Sorry RatoN not allowed to comment on such things.

BUt I have time to be here alright...

I'm a happy man!

And enough with the questions guys! Let the man get back to work....

Edited by Tortfeaser

Which makes me wonder if they implemented time of day? Night vision anyone?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere, maybe WhiteKnights interview, that they've modelled the movement of the sun across the sky giving different lighting conditions as time progresses. I'd guess by this that night time would be included. I hope so anyway, sneaking around at night, posibly even with supressed weapons would be serious fun. Also the night scenes in Far Cry with HDR enabled looked amazing, from what I've seen of GRAW so far it would look so much better.

Regarding streaming it was used to good effect in Boiling Point (I think it might have been called something else in the US), as was dynamic time of day. It's just a pity the rest of the game was so full of bugs. It's also used in the GTA games, but because they're designed primarily for PS2s which have almost no RAM, it's very limited.

"and hopefully, to go a step further, be able to play throught the whole game without exiting to main menues or having loading screens that pull you out of the action."

Honestly, I don't mind a break and a load screen now and then. I kind of like the chapter and mission layout of the games. It let's me know when it is time to take a break. :P

This is a piece of info taken by 1up back in May, I thought was realy relevent to this topic.

The environment in the video seems wide-open. What kind of challenges do you face determining whether to make things on a larger scale that way?

RE: The biggest problem is making sure the player doesn't get lost.

So we're trying to add new objective indicators as well as a new tactical map that'll help make sure the player goes where he needs to go. The worst thing you want to do when you have a huge, open environment is have the player walk for an hour and a half in one direction and never see a bad guy to shoot.

It's not a fun experience.

So we've got to try and guide the player's progress through the level, without restricting them. We want to give you more options.

The first one had all the options in the world, and the second was a little bit more limited, but we're trying to put more of those options there so you can choose how to attack your objectives and how you want to move through the space.

But again, we don't want you to put an hour and a half into looking for someone to shoot. The challenge is to make sure the player knows what he's supposed to do and where he has to go, and then let him decide how to get there.

Well cool never ending love it.

Colin

How does this work for MP, especially coop, or are the coop missions totally different?

Hi mate.

The MP side of the game is still unknown, just a couple titbits floating around you know the normal 32 players etc.

I would imagine that both teams would use the T.A.C. Map for player advantage on both sides.

This will probably depend on server settings though, and I think this is around the 250 to 300 mark.

Colin

No, I mean I don't understand how a streaming environment would work in coop or SP. Is the entire world map open? How is the map populated with objects and entities. How could this work in a tactical shooter that is based on defined missions with objectives and mission completion? Each mission, as I understand, begins with a live ride in or fly in insertion, wouldn't there have to be breaks between the missions to set these up and load the map. I totally do not understand how a streaming map would work in this context. Any ideas?

I don't understand how a streaming environment would work in coop or SP

This is a great Q.

I have a feeling some one in here is well up on this sorta stuff and its not Bo.

Although he is, sorry. You know what I mean.

newman, Can you give us an explanation on this one please.

I don't understand how a streaming environment would work in coop or SP

This is a great Q.

I have a feeling some one in here is well up on this sorta stuff and its not Bo.

Although he is, sorry. You know what I mean.

newman, Can you give us an explanation on this one please.

Keep in mind I am just guessing (educated guesses with a dash of hopefulness?)

I have no idea how they are going to handle MP I assume they would create maps suiting to a fun gameplay. My guess would be around the embassy size but with way more detail in the streets and buildings. With MP they would probably not worry about streaming the levels. My guess is there going to focus on fun , lag free, Tactical Multiplay.

Coop with streaming tech would probably be much like single player.

just think of it as one huge map and if I am at one end a you are at the other we would be seeing the appropriate assets for that area. if we walked towards each other we would load more of the map until we both occupied the same area at the same time.

The important thing to remember about streaming tech is that your computer is only loading what you need in your immediate area and progressively loading new areas as you get near them. Unreal 3 Tech has this as well, and if you remember their tech videos they said you could have GTA size maps with 1000x the detail using this technology.

The real Coop question for me is how would you get the Server to handle it as it would not only have to load both areas or possibly the whole map and calculate all shots fired and AI actions and Physics and send it to all the Coop players.!.!

That's Why I am an Artist and not a programmer! Ha.

Of course this is all speculation on my behalf and could be totally wrong.

Hey Bo if your reading this could you give any indication of when the marketing machine is going to kick in so we can get more details?

The info load on the server would not be much more than what it is in GR1. The Graphics Engine is running on your machine.

The Server is only interested in where you are, where they are, whats in the way,

Who shot first and a few other factors.The rest is down to your local machine to deal with.

BornToKill

newman

:thumbsup:

Thank You for the reply, it makes a lot of sence.

The information we are getting is good and I assume UBI still have a press release programme in place that is very strict.

I think most of us realise we are going to get a decent game now, its the lack of fine detail that needs to be adressed, I am sure it will do soon though.

Colin