GRAW Physics

The Aegia card is not meant to help with rendering. That's all up to the video card.

What it's meant to do is instruct the video card on what to render, and where. Normally, the CPU handles the calculations. PhysX technology is merely meant to offload those calculations from the CPU to the add-in card. Much like the first 3D cards offloaded the texture/geometry calculations, allowing the CPU to deal with the basics, and not the entire environment.

Aegia is trying to be the next 3DFX, for those who have followed the history of PC gaming. If it works, they are poised to be the first entry into a technology that will be ubiquitous in a couple of years, If not, welcome to Microsoft Bob 2.0.

To put it this way: SLI was invented by 3DFX. nVidia acquired them several years ago, and have now implemented their own version. Technology grows, adapts, expands. Aegia is attempting their next major evolutionary step in terms of PC gaming. As much as I don't want to spend the money, I do hope their tech succeeds. It would usher in a leap in gaming power that would become the defacto standard for detail and quality, assuming developers embrace it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I don't want to spend the money, I do hope their tech succeeds.  It would usher in a leap in gaming power that would become the defacto standard for detail and quality, assuming developers embrace it.

"Hear, Hear".........once again Dannik, you amaze me with your knowledge of the gaming 'Universe' and the use of your 5 'Canadian' Dollar words :D .

According to my calculations, I will 'create' a new gaming beast within the next solar eclipse, or when Mars is in Uranus......whichever comes first. :wacko:

DS

• 2 weeks later...

All those small crates showering around like basketballs pouring out the back of a crashed truck seem a bit over the top to me as far as physics go. Sometimes we get a bit too keen to show off new toys before we learn to use them in a more subtle way.

Obviously more realistic phisics affeted environments is the way to go, it just requires finess as much as raw processing power.

Interesting info from ATI.

I'm not surprised:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display...1005202331.html

Nice find GreyHaired. You've brought up 2 points now that show why we should NOT get too excited about the PPU hype, and why PPUs may be dead in the water pretty soon. This month's CPU magazine has an article that sums it up nicely:

1. With higher-end computers going to dual-CPUs already, most CPUs will have lots of computational power to spare which can be used for physics calculations, and we won't need a dedicated PPU.

2. If and when ATI and Nvidia decide to jump into physics calculations with all their extra unused GPU cycles (currently, the most high-end vid cards are often CPU limited), companies like AGEIA will not be able to compete.

3. One main reason we won't see a large amount of developers jumping all over PPUs anytime soon is that the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't have a dedicated PPU. Hope that explains itself ... :P

As much as I don't want to spend the money, I do hope their tech succeeds.  It would usher in a leap in gaming power that would become the defacto standard for detail and quality, assuming developers embrace it.

"Hear, Hear".........once again Dannik, you amaze me with your knowledge of the gaming 'Universe' and the use of your 5 'Canadian' Dollar words :D .

According to my calculations, I will 'create' a new gaming beast within the next solar eclipse, or when Mars is in Uranus......whichever comes first. :wacko:

DS

That gives you 6 months. :P

the only advantage of a ppu is on a properly designed server with enough bandwidth to feed the clients.

client side physics processing is a fundamentally retarded concept - with 5 ghz cpu's on the horizon and vertex arrays in gfx cards who needs the extra .0001 frames per second for 'graphics rendering'?

not gamers. your money is better spent on peripherals that result in immediate and highly visible performance gains. as time goes on, the advantages of ppu's will decrease as new gfx cards keep coming out.

whether or not ppu's find their way into new game designs that actually rise to the challenge and make use of the insane technology remains to be seen.

im afraid it relies on what the gamers want - a dumbed down console gimmick designed to run on 56k or something totally bad ass with a complete world of real physics distributed to the clients over broadband.

New downloads section update.

http://www.ageia.com/press/press4.html

Check out some of the videos they are awsome.

New web page and take a look at the Partner section.

http://www.ageia.com/

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – October 3, 2005 – AGEIA™ Technologies, Inc., the pioneer in hardware-accelerated physics for games, announced today its closing of $27 million in new financing. Led by Granite Global Ventures, financing also came from new investor Hercules Technology Growth Capital along with current investors Apex Venture Partners, BA Venture Partners, CID Ventures, HIG Ventures, and VentureTech Alliance.

The AGEIA PhysX processor is the first and only dedicated physics processor on the market, and provides gamers with a much greater depth of physical interactivity than software-only physics. Developers and publishers who license the AGEIA PhysX SDK can create environments and effects that far surpass anything previously available in games.

Replay info to follow.

Colin

PPu... Ummm... nice i guess? I gonna buy the ATI R520 XT 512MB, just looking over at the ATI website, shows GR:AW.Maybe optimised for the ATI 1K series?. I was hoping to play GR:AW on the new card.Lol looks like it's a no go for the minute, but you never know, maybe get a demo of GR:AW?

Edited by =warcloud=

Oh well maybe I’m too pessimistic but to me it’s a premature card and it’ll be implemented in next generation graphic cards. Launching Ageia will press ATI and Nvidia to step forward so that’s an advantage.

I’m not blind to the technique as such, nor will I be amazed when we in 10 years can smell the grass or smoke in a game.

No mentioning of the rigs that were used for the demos.

I don’t want to see a sales promoting demo of a carwash, I want to see the fps in games.

And what about power consumption/heat development.

Minimum requirements?

What good does it do when the looks are nice on a website but your rig can’t copy that?

Facts please.

um, having 2 physics systems is not exactly a selling point

using two physics systems is common practice when you realise what you have isn't going to cut it, yet you dont have the time to re-write the net code based on the old physics :)  you wont see havok+novodex in any other title lol.

No doubt. :thumbsup:

I wonder what roots the aegis ppu has in the PPc architecture. (since this is what the 360 is going to use)

think maybe some exec said "hey, look at this shiny new thing" and forgot to research the implementation.

I agree about the server bandwidth requirements having to be through the roof. Collecting output from individual client PPU processes, coalating that into packets for other clients to digest, and then relay that information out to the other clients for them to perform their own ppu calculations on seems VERY large and cumbersome. (lots of CPU and bandwidth overhead)

Is this the root cause to the lack of 9-man squads for multiplayer coop games? Restrict the physics to coop, and let tvt multiplayer use havok-style (read:less bw intensive) physics? :shifty:

To clairify a AGEIA - PPU:

It does NOT interfere with either size of squad, gameplay choices or network limitations.

The PPU is a fantastic gadget to use for high end effects and is only used to expand on cool stuff and not limit in any way.

There you have it.

Bo

GRIN

It does NOT interfere with either size of squad, gameplay choices or network limitations.

The PPU is a fantastic gadget to use for high end effects and is only used to expand on cool stuff and not limit in any way.

There you have it.

Bo

GRIN

Well thats that subject sorted out.

Cheers.

Colin

There you have it.

Bo

GRIN

You took your time there Bo. Some members were really getting hot under the collar about this one. :D

Now, any chance you can quash all of the other 'rumoUrs' in this forum. :D

DS

I'm SO tempted to say a whole lot on modding and editors as certain ppl pull rather absurd "facts" out of their HAT.

But I cannot at the moment. However please stay with us and don't beleive the hate.

Thanks

Bo

Please do ...... thats what we want, then I think members probably wouldnt look for feathers in thier hats.

I mean that in a good way ... like the other thread regarding Harntrox & mods, more clarification would be good for sure. :thumbsup:

Edited by calius

I'm SO tempted to say a whole lot on modding and editors as certain ppl pull rather absurd "facts" out of their HAT.

But I cannot at the moment. However please stay with us and don't beleive the hate.

Thanks

Bo

It's Posts like this from the dev's themselves that keep me from loosing faith in GRAW, keep keeping us informed Bo on anything you are allowed to, It really is appreciated and maintains our faith that the devs are really trying to bring us a great game, and that they do still care about us PC crowd.

WE'VE been hearing a lot about Ageia, the company that announced its physics processing unit. Lately we can not remember that a single week has passed that we haven't heard something about its Physics Processing Unit (PPU) cards. The company is certainly spinning like a top.

From the first day we learned about this product, the company planned to introduce its retail products sometime in Q4 2005 and this is exactly what is going to happen.

We spoke with some knowledgeable people and learned that some of those cards should be available and announced either in late November or in early December.

We know that Asus will be one of the companies selling such cards, and last time we checked, the estimated suggested retail price was $249.

Ageia plans to announce the cards with content as the chips and cards are already finalised, but you kind of need physically advanced demos and games to prove to the world that money is spent wisely.

We've seen an Ageia cardin action and it indeed looks cool, we think it will change games for the better, at a price of course.

A copy & paste from the inquirer.net

Edited by =warcloud=

Thanks

Bo

Thanks BoGRIN.

Puts my mind at ease on behalf of those who invest in the card that it won't affect the overall performance of the PC negatively.

And it saves me from reading benchmarks reviews too.

Thanks

Bo

Thanks BoGRIN.

Puts my mind at ease on behalf of those who invest in the card that it won't affect the overall performance of the PC negatively.

And it saves me from reading benchmarks reviews too.

I've got mountains of faith Bo! keep doing what you're doing, we are proud of you.