Petition for replays [or demo's]

Ben

I'll stay with Harntrox and what he said. you don't have to have replays so much, But what if the game can be coded to detect variances? I don't know, I'm no coder, but if it detects a variance of say someone running a retlock, have the game notify all players and have that player marked as such. like outline of his player in green so everyone knows not only where the cheater is, but who it is...

Like I said, I'm no game dev like harntrox. But this could be advantagous to remedy replays. If I'm using a cheat, have my name posted in the game for all to see, then outline my soldiers body with a green outline to signfy my location etc.

Bad idea? hell, I don't know... :rofl:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not fussed about it realy. I have had GR1 from the moment it came out and I think I bothered to watch a reply 5 times since the day I got it ... didnt realy bother me too much.

I say that from an SP player view ... not sure the impact on clans/training etc.

It would be a system killer with realtime Fraps capturing ... :wacko:

Fraps is NOT an option, it simply doesn't work for everyone, some are just able to run GR3 with their low spec system.. And Fraps will rape their fps...

And WK77, i hope you're allowed to tell us what's going on.. Because i don't understand why you and GRIN are acting like it's such a huge secret and stuff you know... If it was about what kind of AC they are using and how it works etc.. then i would understand it.. But something about replays/physics.. can't be that hard to tell?

But, at the moment.. i feel whatever the answer is.. it's prolly some excuse that they can't put replays/demos in it, replays/demos are to important to ignore imo... Without them no competition .. people not buying the game.. people quitting playing online after a couple of weeks and not interested in buying expansions anymore..

Almost 250 people signed the petition already.. And it wasn't even on GRnet's newspage.. If Rocky would post the link there i think 500 signed people should be possible in a couple of days..

But i saw Rocky posted 2 newstopics last night, but nothing about the petition... He saw this topic and i PM'd him to ask if he can post it... But.. nothing :( ?

lets hope we find out soon then

From the information we've recieved so far it seems like the physics in GRAW is going to be much, much more in depth than in previous games. The physics in games I've seen so far (Far Cry, HL2 etc) has really been little more than a couple of boxes and barrels bouncing around coupled with rag-doll effects. I think there was a suggestion somewhere that explosions in GRAW will utilise physics to calculate the motion of millions of particles from the explosion. Tracking and recording the paths of so many objects would take not only huge amounts of data, but would be computationally intensive in it's own right, killing FPS rates. WK has been hinting that there's more news to come on the physics front (I've only really skimmed this thread so I could be very wrong on that), so I'm guessing that there is going to be a huge amount of particulate physics (yes I made that term up :) ) on a constant/regular basis throughout the game, one possibility I'm thinking of is accurate modelling of some of the advanced US cluster bombs which explode, firing cones of molten metal (i can't remember the right word for the bits of metal at the moment) down into enemy troops/vehicles etc.

It looks to me anyway that not having replays was a decision they knowingly made in favour of something else which they deem more important. I think the guys and gals at grin know more about the game than we do, and we should trust them to make what they think is the best possible game. When they're done, then we decide if we like it or not.

Hmm, they deactived the petition at the moment because i didn't fill in my personal information (which i normally never do except for online stores and stuff :D)

Well, i emailed them the information, so i hope it's back up later today.. for what's it worth ofcourse :)

Hmm, they deactived the petition at the moment because i didn't fill in my personal information (which i normally never do except for online stores and stuff :D)

Well, i emailed them the information, so i hope it's back up later today.. for what's it worth ofcourse :)

AAAARRRGGGHHH. :sheep:

I know its not so nice to say but really in my opinion if a game doesnt have something to record either Halflive TV formatted or ClientSide formatted demo's then plz dont mind making a multiplayer at all. (i'dd like to add that I never EVER finished the GR Singleplayer set)

I played CoD -> Never did singleplayer

CS 1.6 and CSS -> I think I should be proud enough to say that I have seen someone else playing singleplayer. You wont get more then that.

In my opinion making demo's should be easy even for the new GR. Just record the start positions and every data send to the server. Save that not save the output. If someone was to watch the demo I dont think he'dd mind that his PC would have to calculate the outcome of all inputs.

Maybe it would be conciderable to make a game function that would convert these inputs into a demo or even avi file no matter even if this would be 1 GB big. You'dd still have the input file.

Or just record starting positions and al data packages received by the server (or sent by client. in case of client-demo-type)

In order to copensate interpolation, extrapolation errors you could have moments where the server would save the "current status" so that like every 30 seconds you'dd have a fresh start and would not add multiple errors/differences together

If there wont be any demo's I dont think I'dd concider buying the game to play it online. I'll stick to CSS or CoD2 perhaps. Why is it that every (plz dont flame me if there actually is one) game has demo's and here comes along UBI saying "Nah we dont do that kind of stuff it's to hard for us" UBI you've failed the community LOTS AND LOTS of times. Many bugs, no new updates, no promised GR2 (even after waiting 2 or 3 times longer then we expected to wait) UBI always put console in front of PC players. Although I feel that PC gamers where the ones that made UBI and GR a succes. I am deelply dissapointed AGAIN. The day that I see this new GR will prolly be the last time I hear about it. Sry about it but this all makes me a little sad and upset. Hope you can understand it.

UBI has proven time and time again that money is the bottom line. They'll milk the GR name until we get fed up then they'll abandon it like rats on a sinking ship. Let's not forget that us PC gamers had nothing coming from UBI when GR2 was announced. They can add replays if they wanted to, it's not impossible. If EA could do it for BF2 then there's no reason why they can't to GRAW.

If there's no demo, I'm not buying it. I'm tired of UBI releasing half finished crap and expecting me to pay for it.

Edited by ruggbutt

Video footage, and waiting for others to report back on this forum / site is the best if no demo ... I wouldnt just "Not buy it" JUST becuase there isnt a demo.

I think I would word that as "I wouldnt go out and buy it on release" without a demo, and then fish for feedback for the first 2 weeks to see others views who have the game and then see.

Or if you know womeone whos bought it .. get a go on it first.

Most games Ive read up and watched and sniffed about before going out to purchase ... well Ive rushed out on hype once or twice and been stung.

I wont purchase this on release day ... I want to see what peoples feedback are regarding preformance on PC specs and MP feedback and general points .. then If alls good I will go out and get a copy.

Edited by calius

AAAAaarrrggghhhh ! I wish people would stop saying that Ubi/Grin are just lazy or incompetent for not including replays/demos. It's been explained that by including the advanced levels of physics that they have, replays/demos are just not practical, and that even if they were included they wouldn't be accurate. Just because BF2 or whatever games have them, does not automatically mean that GRAW can, it's a completely different game with a completely different engine. And there's no point deciding now not to buy a game because it doesn't have a feature you think it needs, at least wait untill it comes out and see if it does actually need it or not. The way some people are behaving in the run up to the release of this game, it's no wonder Ubi have tried to simplify GR and make it more child like.

Inlight of todays news.

This post was one of the best in relation to what was realy missing in the game, and what is thought by most members to be the one thing we could not do with out.

Explanations ranged from Technicaly impossible to Ageia being the main problem.

Well it seems now we have a couple of months to make any changes, if changes needed doing in the first place.

So it could be said to work on the one thing that we all wanted but could not have.

If Grin has got extra time and it is possible to do then this would be a bonus for all of us.

May be.

Colin

Fury @ UBI forum

If Ubi/GRIN act fast and decide to let the true GR fans give their input on the game I think Ubi/GRIN can regain some of the trust of the ppl who have been let down the last couple of years over and over again. I truly believe GR:AW could be the GOTY 2006 only if Ubi/GRIN get their act together and actualy do something about it!

It's already planned :) - About input from true GR fans..

Demo, don't know.

- PS: demo has 2 meanings in this topic:

1. demo = a file similar to what we know as replays, but then we 1 view only (from the person that 'recorded' this file (called: demo) - This means the other views from the other persons in the demo can't be viewed)

2. demo also means demonstration of the abilities of a program or something else. Like SinglePlayer/Multiplayer "demo" ..

Replays.

If Grin has got extra time and it is possible to do then this would be a bonus for all of us.

May be.

Extra time, they got that now i think :)

Replays are possible, even thought they would be 1gb in size. It's possible.

Psysics caused the problem? I heard they could scale it from none to normal to extreme (this is an example, don't know how the scaling goes) -> which would mean replays can be a lot smaller at the cost of unnecessary collapsing objects and walls (my opinion)

I think GRIN overlooked 1 part of the "GR community" a little bit. Imo you have the "SP" players, the "COOP" people (That's basicly GR.net, and with COOP it doesn't mean everyone is playing COOP, but you guys are involved in the online GR but not really in the competitive scene fighting for ladders and leagues).

So, the remaining part: the "MP" players -> The problem is we aren't really "united" but we're spread over several sites and often have the ladder's or league's forum as middlepoint/meetingpoint/discussionpoint you know :)

"MP" wants non-crashable servers, no glicthes, no bugs and replays/anticheat. The rest doesn't matter that much - as long as we recognize it's Ghost Recon and it feels like GR we're fine, we play the game like how it is - but anything that prevents us from having a clean and enjoyable MP / Competitive experience needs to be fixed or added or modified (imo) obviously.

I also think the "COOP" community, people playing the mods, following the mod-scene, interested in mods, playing missions online with friends but not really competitive.. Well, that's how i see most of the people here on this forum :)

Anyway, doesn't really matter.. But i think you really really had the chance to voice your opinions, and so once in a while you read a comments in hundreds of posts about replays or something we (MP) care about. It feels like we're not always heard...

If GRIN/UBI would make GR3 Rambo-like most of you would complain heh, well.. leaving replays/demos out is quite similar to us ....

Ok, i wrote enough now.. Hope you get my point(s)

Edited by Ben