Why no hand-to-hand combat?

normally i would say that is pretty lame for a game like what ghost recon originally was supposed to be, but having played through GR2 and GR2 SS on the xbox and seeing how arcade-like it has become, i agree ... there are now too many instances where you come ridiculously close to some of the tangoes. its a shameful double standard, really.

normally i would say that is pretty lame for a game like what ghost recon originally was supposed to be, but having played through GR2 and GR2 SS on the xbox and seeing how arcade-like it has become, i agree ... there are now too many instances where you come ridiculously close to some of the tangoes.  its a shameful double standard, really.

SF does have hand to hand training, as far as I understand. There are situations for it.

('Course, I'm likely 100% wrong here.)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh I don't know, perhaps that it's an example of hand to hand combat happening in a real life. But you know, it's not like the game was based on real life or anything...

As defined by US Army FM 21-150 Combatives:

Hand-to-hand combat is an engagement between two or more persons in an empty-handed struggle or with handheld weapons such as knives, sticks, and rifles with bayonets. These fighting arts are essential military skills. Projectile weapons may be lost or broken, or they may fail to fire. When friendly and enemy forces become so intermingled that firearms and grenades are not practical, hand-to-hand combat skills become vital assets.

Edited by cdnsniper

• 3 weeks later...

It would be great to see melee attacks in Ghost Recon, though it's hard to see how it would be implemented?

The Conflict series is brilliant here, particularly Global Storm. Splinter Cell 2 is also good.

having played through GR2 and GR2 SS on the xbox and seeing how arcade-like it has become

I don't think they're at all arcade-like, but unfortunately Advanced Warfighter definately is.