Metal Gear Solid 4 Info

CR6

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-3/metal...4/651338p1.html -Great article. A lot of information on the new TGS trailer, which I've yet to find anywhere to download.

When I first posted in this thread, the new trailer was supposed to be posted on the official MGS4 website by the end of the first day of the Tokyo Game Show, and I figured GameSpot and the other big sites would pick it up ... guess there has been a delay. <_<

So the first place you will be able to download the trailer will be at the official site: See here: http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/japanese/mgs4_04.html

Actually I got it earlier from here:

http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3140656

Snake has aged...and that's a good thing.

Nice find HF, thanks! :thumbsup:

I've heard Kojima admires Splinter Cell. Looks like Snake imitating Sam Fisher in the E3 2005 trailer involves a bit more than just wearing the goggles :lol:

Here's another amusing story: Kojima says he's done with Solid Snake after MGS4.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/17/news_6133766.html

Funny thing is he said the same thing after finishing MGS2 & MGS3 ...

Actually I got it earlier from here:

http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3140656

Snake has aged...and that's a good thing.

Nice find HF, thanks! :thumbsup:

I've heard Kojima admires Splinter Cell. Looks like Snake imitating Sam Fisher in the E3 2005 trailer involves a bit more than just wearing the goggles :lol:

Here's another amusing story: Kojima says he's done with Solid Snake after MGS4.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/17/news_6133766.html

Funny thing is he said the same thing after finishing MGS2 & MGS3 ...

Another good find! Thanks. I believe Kojima may be more serious this time. Before he seemed to indicate that the MGS series would continue but he would produce and leave directing (Project lead) to someone else. In a G4 interview recently, he was talking about retiring the character of Snake and letting a new group come in. Just no Raiden or I'll hang myself.

In order to keep things from spreading all over the place, we'll keep this thread for all things MGS4. So I would like to open the floor on speculation and conspiracy. Is the Snake in the trailer the Snake from MGS1? Think about it.

1 - Let's begin with the premise that it is Solid Snake. Although the setting is after the events in MGS2, he has aged markedly and Otacon has not. Could it be he has aged and Otacon (Hal Emmerich) has not because Otacon could be dead and Snake is being guided by a virtual Otacon. Also, it may not be that far in the future and Snake appears aged because he has, since MGS1, carried a virus in his body that may now have been activated and he is racing time. He is seen in the trailer collapsing and then injecting himself. If it is Solid Snake, how did he inherit the electronic eye patch?

2 - Could it be Big Boss? Big Boss did escape Outer Heaven but is supposedly dead at the beginning of MGS1 having actually died in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Hideo Kojima has confirmed that Big Boss will play a role in MGS4. And since he gained the eye patch in Snake Eater, that part fits. Main character or not?

3 - Could it be Solidus? Solidus is the third of the three cloned versions of Big Boss created by "Les Enfants Terrible". Solid and Liquid being the other two. Supposedly killed by Raiden in MGS2, it wouldn't be the first time someone wouldn't stay dead in the series. And it was Raiden after all...

Whatever the truth, we can rest assured that the third person aspect will remain as the gameplay core. The trailer having showed full well Kojima's feelings toward a FPS. A tactic with which I have no issue and found to be quite humorous.

1 - I personally think it's the this one. Otacon does look older, though not as old as Snake ever did. Wasn't Snake already getting kind of old in MGS1, like 40 or so? A few years later, and then he's fifty or sixty. Granted, he looks even older then 60. Which virus is this that you speak of? It's been years since I've played MGS1, so I've probably forgotten. The Solid Eye System doesn't seem like a replacement for a lost eye to me, but more like a convenient enhancement to an eye that always there.

2 - Big Boss? Unlikely IMO. He would be really really old by now. Older then the appearance of the character in the trailer. I'm talking about 80 or 90 more likely then not. He was the Boss's son, right? (This is if I am remembering my stuff from MGS3 correctly) and he was born in 1945. So, shoot ahead into the likely time period for this, probably 2020 and up, and I think you're stretching it for Big Boss's life span. And unless he suddenly became pals with Otacon, there's really no explanation for their alliance.

3 - Solidus is doubtful as well. I again alude to the Otacon thing.

Another interesting bit of information, I was pretty sure that Snake hated knives. Big Boss was into blades, and so was Solidus. I suppose Snake could have discovered their usefulness.

Regarding a virtual Otacon, I think that's very doubtful as well. When asked where he is, Otacon replies out of harm's way. He also says that the little robot is remote control. I dunno, just my opinion. Can't wait for this game.

Edited by snared_gambit

Good points Gambit. And that part about the knife is a great observation.

Regarding the virus, here is a better explanation than I can give:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naomi_Hunter

Naomi was on the team that was assembled to aid ex-FOXHOUND legend Solid Snake during the Shadow Moses incident, and during Snake's briefing injected him with various nanomachines, nootropics and an anti-freezing peptide to prevent his blood and other bodily fluids from freezing. However, Naomi had also been ordered to infect Snake with the deadly FOXDIE virus as part of his mission (see the FOXDIE page). This suited Naomi fine, as she wanted to kill Snake to avenge her "brother" Frank (as known by the codename of Gray Fox), whom Snake had killed in Zanzibar. In the end though FOXDIE failed to affect Snake, but killed his genetic twin brother Liquid Snake. Naomi came to forgive Snake for killing Frank, telling him to "Live, Snake. That's all I can say to you". It is never properly explained why Liquid died and Solid did not, since both Snakes had near identical genetic make up, but it is speculated that FOXDIE is still dormant inside Solid Snake, and will activate on a later date.

It is possible that the reason Solid Snake is unaffected while Liquid dies from FOXDIE is due to the fact that Liquid and Solid have different DNA, despite the fact of both being clones of Big Boss (see Les Enfants Terribles), meaning FOXDIE didn't affect Solid Snake since the genetic profile of its intended target would have come from Liquid who was with FOXHOUND at the time while Snake was in retirement.

Another theory is that the FOXDIE injected into Snake would only become active when Snake was feeling a strong sense of hatred or anger, as Naomi believed Snake to be a psychotic killer, a perception that changed gradually over the course of the game. In Liquid Snake the virus only activated when he was particularly enraged at Solid Snake. It is also possible, and given as an explanation in the back story of Sons Of Liberty, that Naomi programmed the virus not to kill Solid Snake at any set time, but at a random point after activation.

I think Big Boss remains most likely. The eyepatch is one obvious hint. Also, remember that in the E3 trailer it was Big boss who won the chair over Raiden, not Solid snake.

There's the CQC, also. And, finally, he just looks more like Big boss to me. 'Dunno why. And from this art team that could mean a lot.

I think Big Boss remains most likely. The eyepatch is one obvious hint. Also, remember that in the E3 trailer it was Big boss who won the chair over Raiden, not Solid snake.

There's the CQC, also. And, finally, he just looks more like Big boss to me. 'Dunno why. And from this art team that could mean a lot.

I agree. As I said Kojima has already confirmed that Big Boss will play a role in MGS4.

Naomi is also said to be making an appearance in this installment. I still have my serious doubts about it being Big Boss though. In MGS1, wasn't FOXHOUND after the remains of Big Boss to cure their genome soldiers? On the flip side though, it could have been that the government wouldn't surrender the remains because they didn't exist, because Big Boss was still alive.

@Sup

It wasn't Big Boss who won the chair over Raiden in the E3 Trailer. Take a look again, on the back after he hands Raiden's ass to him, it says Solid Snake In. Plus, look at every pic of Big Boss, and in MGS3. Which eye is missing: the right eye.

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/14593/...es/big_boss.jpg

The Solid Eye System is over the left eye. Solidus Snake is missing his left eye. Snake hasn't lost any. I think it's either Solidus or Solid Snake.

They were after the remains of Big Boss, but remember that was a ruse as well. Also, look what happened when Kojima showed and even newer presentation:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/meta...ws_6133819.html

TOKYO--During the Tokyo Game Show, Konami director Hideo Kojima appeared on a special stage to show extra material on his anticipated PlayStation 3 title, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Kojima was expected to show footage from MGS4 and to reveal details about the game with members of his development team. But this is Kojima that we're talking about, so there was a major surprise for attendees.

Instead of proceeding to the MGS4 trailer, Kojima began by explaining why the main character in the game ended up being Snake, rather than Metal Gear Solid 2's comparatively unpopular hero, Raiden. Kojima showed the E3 trailer rendered on the PlayStation 2 engine, in which Raiden fought Snake for the lead in MGS4. That trailer was expected, since Kojima usually warms up the crowd before going on to his main presentation. But what hit everyone completely off guard was a new sequel to the E3 trailer showcasing a fake game titled "Metal Gear Raiden: Snake Eraser."

Metal Gear Raiden: Snake Eraser starts out where the E3 trailer left off. Raiden, determined to snatch the main role in MGS4, decides to time-travel to the past to assassinate Big Boss so that Solid Snake will never exist. He appears in the MGS3 time frame like Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator, almost completely naked and discharging electricity. But as he gets ready to find Big Boss, he is knocked out from above by a parachuting Snake, who is landing the HALO jump that begins MGS3's first mission. Moaning on the ground in pain, Raiden slips out of the time frame, while Colonel Campbell's voice can be heard off-screen, shouting, "You'll create a time paradox! The future will be changed!"

When Raiden gets up, he finds himself in the scene where Ocelot and Eva make their first appearances. Once again, Raiden is struck from behind, this time by Eva and her motorcycle. Big Boss is also at the scene, but Raiden is unconscious before he gets the chance to point a gun at him.

Waking up once again, Raiden finds that he has landed in a jail cell--with Big Boss locked up in another cell next door. Things take an odd twist from there, as Colonel Volgin appears, mistakes Raiden as his fellow soldier, Major Raikov, and tries to grope him in the jail cell's bed. Then Colonel Campbell's voice can be heard again screaming, "Don't do that! You'll create a time paradox! The future will be changed!"

Raiden then teleports into a barrel that carries the dead body of Metal Gear's original creator, Granin. There, he is harassed by Volgin once again, who punches the barrel from the outside and blasts it into the air. One teleport later, Raiden finds himself face to face with Eva's chest, right in the scene where she's exposing her large scar to Big Boss. Not being able to take his eyes off, a hefty slap by the femme fatale sends Raiden into another time warp.

After all of his troubles, Raiden finds himself face-to-face with Volgin yet again, who tries to crush Raiden with a Shagohad tank. Raiden is saved by a rocket launcher blast from Big Boss that stops the Shagohad, and he finally gets to meet the legendary mercenary. Big Boss, not knowing Raiden's intentions, hands a gun to him as a safety precaution. Raiden aims the gun at Big Boss' back, but he finds he can't kill the man that saved his life. Dropping the handgun to the ground, Raiden watches Big Boss as he rides away on a bike with Eva. He is then trampled by an army of soldiers racing after Big Boss and is subsequently crushed by a Shagohad.

This setback doesn't stop Raiden from trying to erase Solid Snake from history. As a last resort, he decides to kill Snake directly. As Raiden makes his last time warp, the screen suddenly changes from the 3D graphics of MGS3 to a 2D display of the original 8-bit MSX Metal Gear from 1987. But just as Raiden corners Snake, a solider appears behind him and guns him down. It's game over for Raiden, who then leaps back to his original time. "Get out of my way. He's mine!" says an aged Big Boss to Raiden in Metal Gear's 8-bit conversation screen, as Raiden shouts his last words of regret. "Big Boss... I know I should have killed you!"

Back in his own time, a despondent Raiden is comforted by his girlfriend, Rose, who says that the past can't be changed. "Metal Gear Solid 4 might not be possible," she says, as the trailer comes to its conclusion, "But what about 5...?"

The Metal Gear Raiden trailer was given a great applause by fans at Konami's booth, and it was a fantastic appetizer before Kojima's main presentation of MGS4. Gamers who couldn't visit the Tokyo Game Show will get a chance to see the trailer in a few more months, since it will be included in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence's bonus material.

Also:

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143957

While the humor of the trailer was obvious, the end actually spills a possible future for the Metal Gear series after Kojima wraps up work on the next game. Raiden warps back to present day, where his girlfriend Rosa comforts him on his failed mission, suggesting maybe he simply wasn't meant for MGS4, but what about 5?

Kojima's confirmed he's off the series (then again, this is the millionth time he's said this) after MGS4, and setup with Snake's old age means the idea makes more sense now than ever. We've also been told Raiden will return in an all new way, and it's likely MGS4 will act as passing of the torch from Snake to Raiden (and in turn, from Kojima to an all-new director).

That's certainly not a confirmed plan from Kojima, but it makes sense given what we know so far. We'll be back with more details on MGS4 soon.

I think we'll play with Solid Snake, why?

-Solid Snake smokes cigarettes, Big Boss smokes cigars.

-The story is set "X years" after big shell.

-Otacon knows him and refers to him as "Snake".

-The eyepatch says " Solid "

Edited by Ranger Six

Two more points about the trailer. When Otacon contacts Snake, there is both ! and ? showing Snake is surprised and puzzled. It is as if he expected Otacon to be...dead. Also, I do not think the eyepatch is simply a piece of equipment to enhance vision in one eye. I believe it also functions as a legitimate patch. Snake in the trailer is heavily scarred on the left side of his face.