Hey Hatchetforce

RetPara

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, what a mess, what a mess. I've read the forum you speak of, and yes, they're not very professional are they.

I haven't posted on that site for a long time, actually I joined it in 2000.

From what I remember, back then, the site was more...controlled. There was this guy called 'Tracy' and Sharky running the show. There was another guy called 'Jeff Rambo' or something there too. Something of a site owner/super admin. Back then, they were still as profane...soldiers will be soldiers you know, but more controlled. No finger pointing, no crying 'poser!' every so often, everything were checked first. That way, no apologies were necessary if the checks DO turn up that the person is real, and if not, then they could fire away.

Nowadays, like the thread I just read, it all descended into hell. It seems to me that Sharky's the only one running about trying to put some sense into things, while the rest acts like violent little children, bullying someone they don't like in a school yard.

There is a definite feel of 'us' versus 'them' in that site. I've respect for them because they serve, but still, it seems to me that they are projecting their own self image to every soldier in every SF unit. I remember posts about professionality coming from them. I remember them talking about 'Soldiers vs. Warriors' way back way back then. They put an emphasis on the fact that soldiers are just ordinary people, not a class bred for war. Soldiers have lives, have families. When someone like Hatchet comes home from deployment abroad, what does that person do? I can tell you. They go home. They fix the leaking roof, the jammed door. They talk to their kids about their grades at school. They mow the lawn. They go out with their family on weekends to the nearest Blockbuster to rent videos or DVDs. They hang with their friends in the local pub or bar, having a beer or two...or three. They worry about taxes, they finance cars, they go with their wifes to wedding parties and other social gatherings. They visit their parents, they visit their children away in college. Some of them play computer games.

That sounds just like a regular joe right? Right. Because soldiers, be him SF or whatever, IS a regular guy, albeit with a dangerous job.

The folks on their site, veterans though they are, for some reason now see the whole SF community as a wholy homogenous lot. If someone does not act like them, think like them, like the things they like, dislike the things they dislike, then they are automatically suspect. I think some of them have been out so long, and only socialize with themselves that they believe the myth they created about themselves and their old jobs. Hence the hostility demonstrated when ZJJ and Rocky tried to set things right.

I do believe in Sharky though. He's a hard but fair fellow. I am more than certain that in due time, at least HE will offer sincere apologies to HF for the way some members of his board acted toward him. Don't count on the others though.

I too am watching this thread and that one over there closely. I look forward for a resolution to this matter.

Out.

EDIT: Looks like Sharky laid down the law for all to see.

Edited by xG5kdo

I do believe in Sharky though. He's a hard but fair fellow.

I appreciate the kind words. Really. We try hard to run a good site.

There are some issues though that some of you dont understand. SOF folks are generally Type-A folks and can be a rowdy bunch. It's not easy keeping the peace there, particularly as more and more non-SOF folks continue pouring in. But, as was said here, SOF folks are human too. They aren't all the ultra-quiet sitinthecorneralonewithmybeer types that some here would pigeonhole them as. They argue, act childish at times, call each other fags, talk trash etc, just like everyone else. Doesn't mean they aren't SOF or that they aren't doing or have done the deed. So, it's somewhat hypocritical to tell us not to pigeonhole gamers when you are pigeonholing everyone there as to what you expect them to be like.

As for why I didn't stop it sooner, well, maybe that was a mistake on my part. But, understand that we get people checking on guys like HF at our site every DAY. 95% of them are posers. Particularly from areas like this. Not this site particularly, but from places where SOF personnel are looked up to more so than others. So, we see a guy we dont really know run a check on someone, the predictable happens since this is a gaming site, then several gamers with no SOF experience that I am aware of show up and start throwing bombs. What do you expect? As well, most of the inflammatory posts were made by non-SOF members. As near as I could tell, most of that was directed at the gamers who showed up throwing bombs and not at HF. So, while it may play well over here, they are no less guilty than anyone at SOCNET, if not more so, as nobody came in here throwing bombs. If we are going to judge, let's do it across the board equally. Take a look back at this thread and you will see the same trash talk as whats on the SOCNET thread, just no SOCNETTERS over here adding to it. Enough said about that.

As for the fakes, HF, if you or anyone else sees someone on there that you believe to be a fake let me know. I will either assure you that they are not due to the fact that they are verified or they will be checked and verified or banned. You mentioned the HALO/MFF forum. The guy who mods that recently left the MFF school where he was an instructor for an ODA and immediately headed downrange. His first name is Billy and he was often seen with a camera on top of his melon. Maybe you know him. He's pretty good about knowing who's who in that forum, but, as I said, he is downrange.

Just thought I would respond to some of what I have seen on here. If you like our board, cool. If not, no harm no foul. If you are SOF and willing to prove it, it's a board for you to be around other SOF guys. if you're not, you are a guest and should conduct yourself as such. Simple as that.

Again, I appreciate the kind words. No hard feelings on our part. The matter of HF is being worked out between he and I via PM and we can go it alone.

Have a good night guys, and gals.

RLTW

Sharky

sorta like Delta in NOLA......

i will be coming your way, after block leave Hatchet, gonna buy me a ford truck or two with the sign on bonuses and tax free hdp/parachutist.

drive back down to benning from IL.

Give me a time frame. The only scheduled time out of town I have is a week around the 20 something of October. Before and after that I'll be at Bragg. I'll take you down to the Green Beret club and we can have a beer among respectable people.

I do believe in Sharky though. He's a hard but fair fellow.

I appreciate the kind words. Really. We try hard to run a good site.

There are some issues though that some of you dont understand. SOF folks are generally Type-A folks and can be a rowdy bunch. It's not easy keeping the peace there, particularly as more and more non-SOF folks continue pouring in. But, as was said here, SOF folks are human too. They aren't all the ultra-quiet sitinthecorneralonewithmybeer types that some here would pigeonhole them as. They argue, act childish at times, call each other fags, talk trash etc, just like everyone else. Doesn't mean they aren't SOF or that they aren't doing or have done the deed. So, it's somewhat hypocritical to tell us not to pigeonhole gamers when you are pigeonholing everyone there as to what you expect them to be like.

As for why I didn't stop it sooner, well, maybe that was a mistake on my part. But, understand that we get people checking on guys like HF at our site every DAY. 95% of them are posers. Particularly from areas like this. Not this site particularly, but from places where SOF personnel are looked up to more so than others. So, we see a guy we dont really know run a check on someone, the predictable happens since this is a gaming site, then several gamers with no SOF experience that I am aware of show up and start throwing bombs. What do you expect? As well, most of the inflammatory posts were made by non-SOF members. As near as I could tell, most of that was directed at the gamers who showed up throwing bombs and not at HF. So, while it may play well over here, they are no less guilty than anyone at SOCNET, if not more so, as nobody came in here throwing bombs. If we are going to judge, let's do it across the board equally. Take a look back at this thread and you will see the same trash talk as whats on the SOCNET thread, just no SOCNETTERS over here adding to it. Enough said about that.

As for the fakes, HF, if you or anyone else sees someone on there that you believe to be a fake let me know. I will either assure you that they are not due to the fact that they are verified or they will be checked and verified or banned. You mentioned the HALO/MFF forum. The guy who mods that recently left the MFF school where he was an instructor for an ODA and immediately headed downrange. His first name is Billy and he was often seen with a camera on top of his melon. Maybe you know him. He's pretty good about knowing who's who in that forum, but, as I said, he is downrange.

Just thought I would respond to some of what I have seen on here. If you like our board, cool. If not, no harm no foul. If you are SOF and willing to prove it, it's a board for you to be around other SOF guys. if you're not, you are a guest and should conduct yourself as such. Simple as that.

Again, I appreciate the kind words. No hard feelings on our part. The matter of HF is being worked out between he and I via PM and we can go it alone.

Have a good night guys, and gals.

RLTW

Sharky

Sharky,

The issue here is that it should never have come to that. One of the posters from SOCNET showed up here and immediately fragged the place. I am not sure what is meant by 'The predictable happens since this is a gaming site'. Personally that is insulting and just wrong dead wrong. The maturity problem occurred with SOCNET members, not people from GR so that comment can go back in the bag. GR.Net people attempted to point out the truth and a bunch of morons over there with no life just decided to make asses of themselves. The issue is that this is a 'GAMING SITE' and the belief is that credibility is lacking because of that fact. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I would like for someone from there to come over to this GAMING SITE and debate ballistics with guys like Rook. While we are at it we can compare dignified behavior and technical capabilities of the staff.

As regards the people from this site that visited the SOCNET boards, it is sad. Not sad that they became aggressive about the matter, but rather dissappointing they needed to.

There wasn't one person, not one over there that attempted to slow that situation down and now there are quite a few people over there that see the truth coming at them like a train. Part of me wants to laugh because it would be good to drag them out into the naked light of day here at Bragg and bring them down to the Green Beret club with my buds and let them explain their fat mouths and idiot attitudes. Having been in the SF community since 82 it should be patently obvious the kind of people that would take issue with the behavior over there.

As a senior SF instructor I can tell you it is a joke that so called professionals let things run the way they did. The dipstick of maturity certainly showed that a gaming site, whom most at SOCNET attempted to belittle unsuccessfully - is full of more decent, common sense people than I encoutered in that fiasco at SOCNET. It took a member from this gaming site to contact me at home and tell me what was running amok over there. And as I said over there, the mistake is repeatedly made that SOCNET posters are ignoring the fact that various members of this community here are current or ex military.

The issue that some of those people may be/have been operators is even less of an excuse for their actions. Type A personalities are great, I am one, but you use your head to keep those in check and an Admin to keep the people in check that don't know when they have overstepped their bounds.

I for one don't plan on ever visiting that board again. Personally if you want thoughtful informative repartee, where people are knowledgeable, respectful and just damn fun to post with, go here: Best Site

Again, let me thank Phantm, ZJJ, Rocky and anyone else that showed up over there, took a few shots, and gave better than they got. Sharky didn't close the thread but he did issue a warning. If they would have moved to clamp the situation as quick as they did to ban GR.net members posting there none of this would have reached the level it did and a few posters from their side might have gotten out of this scrape with their dignity intact. As it happened, that wasn't the case. Thanks all. You acquitted yourselves marvelously.

I wasn't even going to go back there, but when I heard Phantm got himself banned I had to go check that out. I can't believe they banned him for pointing out their own inadequacies, and yet someone gets to tell another poster to "*** off". Nice work. I really can't believe how immature they are all being about a situation one of their own brought upon himself though.

I saw one guy say "I'll be the first to apologise if I am wrong, on both forums", so, still waiting to see that one.

I saw another guy attempt to throw my "you'll be eating your words" comment back at me, geez I hope that doesn't mark when it slaps back into his face.

What this really brings home is how lucky we are at GR.net to have several serving, and ex-military, who post here, in an intelligent manner, without the need to post expletives, without the need to whip up a storm when a simple PM to an Admin is the sensible option. But no, they see the slightest opportunity to gain some fame for outing a poser and they are all over it, when we do that routinely here as a matter of course.

Like I said earlier, it's a bit embarrassing to see guys acting like they are over there. It's a little wake up call for me that not all serving personal are as civil as the ones we have here. They look so silly over there it's almost sad.

I am thinking about a new rule to the forum Rule. It'll be advice that poser outtings should be notified to an Admin by PM and not publically. This will be in order to save the poster the emabarissment of trying to out serving personnel. I am thinking about calling it the RetPara rule.

I don't get it, can someone explain to me why anyone would want to be a "poser"? What do these people get out of atempting to appear as someone they are not? What is the point?

I know that I have seen reports about guys that buy a uniform and lie about being an officer in a branch of service in hopes of picking up women, but I really don't get the whole posturing on some internet forum. What the heck do they get out of it?

Yes folks, it's true.

I managed to get myself banned from a forum. Sigh. I guess it should happen to everyone at least once. But at least it's a place that I would never go back to anyway. Maybe at one time it was a class act. I can't speak to that. But now it's a joke. There isn't another word for it, and they proved it yesterday.

And the total lack of respect for another service member shown by one who is supposedly retired military? Ret, maybe you are legit, maybe you aren't. There are better people than me to discern that fact. But you sure don't act like it. And from my short lived days with the USMC I can tell you that that lack of respect that you showed isn't something that is taught or ingrained. Not in any service that we have in this great country.

I do apologize to ZJJ for it effecting her as well. That, I am sorry for.

I could not believe the amount of mass stupidity that was shown by what are supposed to be some of the finest minds our country has to offer. After all, they don't go around recruiting or accepting idiots into any SOF group in this country.

Most here who have known me for a long time, know that my tolerance for idiots like that is extremely low, and while I may not know the ins and outs of security clearances, and while I may not know all of the SF operators in the free world, not even a few actually, I do have enough intelligence to know that what RetPara did, and what those clowns over there did, was some of the stupidest ###### I have ever seen in my life. And it ###### me off but good to see someone of HF's background and his honorable service to this fine nation disparaged the way it was, especially when I know the truth of HF's background, and have been privileged enough to meet the man. More than once, I might add.

In retrospect, there are a couple posts in that thread over there that I could have handled better. When I see something like that though, and get pushed, I tend to lose hold of my temper sometimes. But for the most part, I wouldn't change a thing. Everyone who posted in that thread over there owes a couple people from here some serious apologies(I am not one of them). I got what I deserved.

They made a couple references to certain people from this site as covering for HF. Like HF needs anyone to cover anything for him. Had some of us(namely me), not gotten carried away a bit over there, HF would have downright embarrassed the lot of them. But alas, even I like to have some of the fun sometimes.

As for Sharky being hard but fair, I see alot of things about that site and Sharky's admin role that say that he is anything BUT fair. If he was, that thread would never have started, and as soon as RetPara insulted HF in the first post, it would have been pulled, and Sharky would have gotten in contact with HF, end of story. Instead, he let the insults fly.

Like HF, I saw what would trip my light to posers in many of the posts over there. And what really struck me funny, having done alot of shooting of various weapons in my life, as well as reloading, and I'm sure Rook, even though we disagree more often than not, are some of the comments made about weapons over there. I can't say about alot of the military stuff over there, I leave that to true experts on the subject, such as HF. I haven't followed military stuff in a hardcore way for years. Not since my short lived days in the Corps.

Anyway, I'm glad it's all sorted now, one way or the other. Like WK and others said, "Who cares what they think, when we know the truth?"

No thanks are necessary HF. Like I said, I lost my temper with those jerks, and there are one or two posts that in retrospect, I would handle differently, or at least word differently.

@Sharky,

If you would unban my IP addy so that the other party that shares my IP doesn't pay for my actions, it would be much appreciated. I give you my word that I won't be back to the site.

Edited by Phantm

I saw one guy say "I'll be the first to apologise if I am wrong, on both forums", so, still waiting to see that one.

I'm still waiting, as well, but we both know that it probably won't happen.

I still can't believe that they don't believe that we do background checks to weed out posers! Yes, we are a gaming site, but look at this forum alone. It's not about a game, it's about the real world. Having posers coming here and giving out false information is just not going to be tolerated.... especially from those of us who are current or ex-military. I will do what it takes to check these people out.

And for them not to think that I wouldn't travel 3-5 hours to meet and verify someone's credentials, just really don't know me! :rofl: Heck, I've traveled 13 hours (one way) just to attend a dog camp. *did I say that out loud? :unsure: *

I even traveled 4 hours (one way) to attend a game preview. :whistle:

But as it was stated, I did not go over there and accuse them all of being full of themselves even though they accused me of being just a lying female gamer. Maybe if they did hang out and see what we really are about (as I've been doing there for months) they wouldn't have been so quick to judge us "gamers."

I'm new to this whole gaming scene, and before this I have never been part of a forum etc... as I have said before, I have seen reports of people wearing uniforms and posing as an officer trying to land a date, but I don't get the internet posturing. Posturing in a uniform = trying to get dates, but posturing on a forum = what????

Has anyone ever asked one of these people why they did what they did? I'm not accusing RetPara of being a poser, I'm just asking the question because the whole issue of posers is coming up again here.

This may be a noobish question, but as I have said I'm new to all of this so I'll be the first to say I don't know much about it. Before I recently got into gaming, I have only used the computer for work and email, so all of this online community stuff is new to me.

MACV-SOG is an acronym for Military Assistance Command in Vietnam, Studies and Observation Group. SOG, originally an acronym meaning, "Special Operations Group" was modified within a few months to mean, "Studies and Observations Group". This modified image of 'quiet researchers' would not last long, though. The new photos in early 1965 would give SOG the intel needed to penetrate the Ho Chi Minh trail. SOG was not only given permission to proceed, they were given Green Berets and a new SOG chief: Colonel Donald "Headhunter" Blackburn.

Operation Shining Brass was created to demystify Laos and the Ho Chih Minh Trail. Blackburn put Colonel Arthur D. "Bull" Simons in charge. Blackburn's strategy involved having Laotian tribesmen attack NVA at their perimeters, forcing them to group together for directed air strikes....

...but companies were needed to raid enemy headquarters, stockpiles, and truck parks. Companies that could be helicoptered in and out with lightning speed to annihilate a target and disappear before the enemy was aware.

Their motto: "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out"

Their name: Hatchet Force.

From the airsoft team's website.

My internet ###### is biggest.

Yeh I see they are showing their real class now. Now that they have been proven wrong, are their any apologies? No no, they go after HF for being enjoying a game now and again!

Maybe we should point them to America's Army, or Full Spectrum Warrior. Maybe we should get Tony Levatino in here to detail why he advised on R6 : Covert Operations. Maybe we should get Mike Grasso in here to detail why he works on advising game developers as well as training SWAT guys.

Then again maybe we should leave it at that, and hope our little insight into the SOCNET community was not representative of their membership.

I don't even care to look at the other site...

maybe most of them are immature themselfs? I known people all my life older and younger where maturity is the main reason as to why they act the way they do.

Hatchet represents himself very well and there is no need to continue.

I'm new to this whole gaming scene, and before this I have never been part of a forum etc...  as I have said before, I have seen reports of people wearing uniforms and posing as an officer trying to land a date, but I don't get the internet posturing. Posturing in a uniform = trying to get dates, but posturing on a forum = what????

Has anyone ever asked one of these people why they did what they did? I'm not accusing RetPara of being a poser, I'm just asking the question because the whole issue of posers is coming up again here.

This may be a noobish question, but as I have said I'm new to all of this so I'll be the first to say I don't know much about it. Before I recently got into gaming, I have only used the computer for work and email, so all of this online community stuff is new to me.

There are people in the world who seem to think it would be cool to be someone they never were to "prove" their bravery and heroism. They will even go so far as to use someone elses accomplishments to prove themselves. They are nothing but lowlife scum really and unfortunately, they prey on the unsuspecting.

We had a few posers here and have busted them for doing so and banned them from all of Rocky's websites. The most recent was Thor who claimed to be a SEAL. I outed him real fast, not for the fame of it, but because the warning lights went off. I even hit HF when I first saw him post and even had asked him to resize his sig. Boy, talk about eating some crow myself, but it was all good and he understood why.

GR.net may be a small community, but if you really look at the people here, you will see current and ex-military abounds here for some odd reason. Yes, I make fun of my sardine friend at Pearl from time to time, but it is all in good fun. That is what makes this site unique, lots of gamers from all sorts of different military backgrounds and countries all getting along unlike some other sites (who would have thought that possible?) around the web.

GR.net is a really a big family. Some people will leave, but more often than not, they return because of how everyone gets along. We get the strange ones once in a while, but for the most part, all here will tell you that they like how everyone gets along (part of that is due to the rules in place to keep the forum fan friendly) here and how they wish more forums were run like this place.

Oh, welcome to GR.net jchung even if it is a bit late. ;)

Thanks for the welcome.

The GR forum at UBI is the first forum I ever joined, and it was only because I had just purchased an Xbox after a an old hockey injury surfaced itself while playing football. What better way to pass the time?

I ahe to say that I am impressed with the way that this forum is run, and although I'm not much of an internet junkie, I would find it hard to believe that there are many that are better than this one.

This forum really helps my work day go much faster. :lol: I work on commission, so down time unfortunately leaves me nothing to do.

That would be me. I am using the same Screen Name here that I use on SOCNET. And you are correct, I jumped the gun and should not have reached conclusions before the evidence came in. I don't blame any of you for sticking up for HatchetForce. Obviously, loyalty runs deep in this group and that is a good thing. I was wrong and I apologize.

Obviously, loyalty runs deep in this group and that is a good thing.

As it does in your group. :yes:

I know it is hard not to judge before knowing the facts, but we are very similar to your group as we do not want posers amongst us.

YOU KNEW IT!! Oh, what, a post that depicts Hatchet for the loser that he is? Yeah- you guys couldn't have that, could you. Where would your misguided hero-worship be then? ALL HAIL MIGHTY HATCHET, THE LONE "OPERATOR" THAT IS AS EQUALLY OBSESSED WITH COMPUTER GAMES AS ARE WE!! WE DONT CARE IF HE MAKES THE SF LOOK BAD THROUGH HIS IDIOCY!! YAY!

[3.2] Personal attacks : Any posts containing personal or racist attacks will be edited or deleted and the originating account risks banning.

[3.3] Flame wars : If you cannot hold a reasoned debate without resorting to Flaming, you are not welcome here.

[3.4] Forum Moderators : Abuse directed at Forum Admin or Moderators will not be tolerated and will result in instant account deletion for the offender. Staff members are carefully selected and have my full backing, they give their own free time to dedicate themselves to our teams and abuse directed at them will not be tolerated.

[3.8] Vulgarity Swearing is not permitted, it only degrades the forum and dilutes the debate. Posts of a sexual nature or of inappropriate images are included in this rule.

Please re-read these a few times, then you can speak your mind within OUR rules.

Um, no, ODA2074. Your post was removed for sexual comments towards an administrator of this site, amongst other site rule violations. Thus why you should read the rules.

Any attack on any staff member is grounds for post removal, and a step towards losing all site priviledge.

As a "SF guy", you should be responsible enough to follow the rules here.

Sexual comments towards an administrator? I wasn't the one that asked her to come out here and "verify" my "status". (I merely pointed out that this is what Hatchet did. I'll leave his actual motivations to your imagination, since this board is to squeamish to have it illustrated).