getting drunk

spearhead

most of my friends have been seriously annoying me latley, they keep asking me out to house parties, and im home alone for two weeks at the mo and they want to have a house party at mine

the thing is, theyre obsessed wiv getting wasted

going out for a few drinks to have a good time wiv some friends yeah fine go for it, watching a dvd at home whilst having a few drinks wiv friends over yeah thats brilliant, know when youve had enough

but theyre all obsessed, they go out wiv the soul purpose of getting completley wasted, drinking as much as they can, whats the point?

hows it meana be fun if ur puking up cause uve had too much and you cant rmbr it the next day?

im more of the go to the pub for a few pints and a laugh guy than a go to a house party and see how many drinks u can have before u pass out guy, but the problem is every one of my friends is the later, in fact pretty much everyone on this rock (i live on a small island) is exactly the same as them, i feel like an outcast just cause i have the common sense to drink sensibly

anyone have any opinions on that?

make sure they get out of that habbit as early as possible,

A ton of guys from my year at school were like that, half a year since graduationg one is dead, several have had car accidents, some of them fairly major, a few are addicted to drugs, some to the point they dont have a life anymore, some that hav bothered to go to uni are failing it etc etc etc.

Sure, its fun for a while, but its not the way to live.

It drains cash and brain cells, it can get you in trouble with the law, or worse, someone who is twice your size, and will put your head through a wall for the fun of it.

Drinking is good, being drunk is good, but making a career out of it, is bad.

All things in moderation....

I got fed up with going to the pub with friends just to watch them get drunk and then going home. It wasn't very fun being the only non-drinker (never found a drink I liked the taste of enough to finish it) so I slowly went less and less. I'm sure they will grow out of it, but you'll probably have to wait 10 years.

but making a career out of it, is bad

It didn't do George Best any harm. Oh wait, yes it did.

Drinking is over rated. I spent many years in the military watching guys puke there guts out in name of fun. I rather enjoy the people I drink with and keep our wits. Drinking should be a social event not the reason for the party. You don't sound very interested in this activity so tell your friends that you will past and if they are friends you won't hear another word about it. In my early years 16 - 21 drinking wasn't something I really considered. Now, I buy a 6 pack of beer and it may last me a month. The idea is to go out to a bar or pub and have a few drinks with friends over conversation and some laughs. Keep a straight head and don't do it if you don't feel like it.

its all my friends do, go to house parties and go into town trying to pass off as 18 to get drunk in clubs, i dont see the need so i dont go places wiv them

excessive drinking can get you into trouble, and as im joining the navy i cant afford to get into trouble, hanging round wiv ppl that drink too much can also get u into trouble, which is y i hang out wiv them less

but on this island theres nowhere to go and nothing to do so i cant really find anything to entertain myself except my computer

Just be responsible. Remember, there are logical consequences for everything you do. As long as you remember this, things will be just fine.

Thing is, I drink. I used to party alot, get wasted, all that jazz. Now, I go to a nice quiet bar with my friends when we're off. Have wine and beer and just generally talk. I still get drunk, don't get me wrong, but never s**t faced anymore. Never.

Know what you're doing at all times, you'll be ok.

Out.

I'm pretty much your age from the sound of it, maybe a bit older (I'm 18 since May) and I agree with your POV.

There isn't any point to drinking. I've tasted alcohol (couple small sips) often, but don't like the taste. I've never bought alcohol and possibly in the future I will but I don't like to lose control (I'm a perfectionist and a comtrol freak....) so I don't drink.

But then again, I read books for fun (wierd ones, all that sci-fi alien stuff, and dragons and magic, and Discworld) and like physics a lot so maybe I'm not the best one to be talking here....

I know how ya feel mate :thumbsup:

People have parties here and I usually get out of it by being away, but the ocasions I have been dragged along I end up looking after everyone (I had to talk a mate out of a tree when he was going to jump cos he'd just been finished) and cleaning the house, doing the cooking etc. I don't drink so my whole night was spent sorting out other people, breaking up fights etc. I ended spending 1/2 an hour locked in a bathroom with some dude giving relationship advice.

Trust me, sack of the ######and find something else to do, it's not worth the hassle. Like you said the Navy don't want people who have a record of getting into trouble, and with it being so competetive for Officer selection, they can afford to just pick the best (so the recruiter I've spoken to has told me).

[edit] Slink, you sound too much like me than is safe :D

Edited by Colin

Don't have a party at your house, worst move ever. I've seen the stuff that happens to peoples houses, and you don't want that at yours. But if someone else is stupid enough to host a party at theirs, why not make the most of it? :) You can go, have a couple without get hammered. Drunk enough to enjoy it, but not overboard.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of getting ######faced for the sake of it every Friday and Saturday night. I go out, have 4 or 5 pints and talk to my mates. The best conversations are at the pub when people are 'tipsy'. :D Or if I'm with Mrs. Avey then I'll have 2 or 3 and try to have intellectual conversation about culture and stuff, but that does nay last long normally. :lol:

getting drunk is fine, drinking to make yourself sick is not fine.

im a quiet person by nature but alcohol livens me up a lot which is what its for :)

i have never made myself sick by alcohol and i dont intend to, i know my limits and there can be a fine line between having a great time and drunk, and binge drinking just for the sake of it.

i faced the same problem as you once, theyll grow out of it, some sooner than others.

my uncle died from alcohol abuse, i dont intend to make the same mistake :nono:

i know my limits and there can be a fine line between having a great time and drunk

thats a good thing to, its good to know your limits, and your body can only filter out so much alcohol per hour so even thoe you may think im not drunk enough yet, depending on what your drinking can hit you like a bat really quick.

Its good to take it slow and creep up to a good high tipsy state. Instead of going and getting smashed in an hour.

i went to a party once at my best mates mums house, cause he was home alone there, bout 5 of us went so more of a gathering than a party, i had about 3 beers and ppl were moaning at me cause theyd drunk bout 6/7 plus wine and all sorts and it had only been two hours. so i ended up having the fun, two of them were sick, one collapsed and the other went home drunk, and the night didnt last long cause theyd all nodded off i just sat and watched the tv

Knowing my limit was one of the best lessons I ever learned. Of course, it took a LOT of lessons (i.e. day long hangovers and blood stained clothing) but now it's great! As long as you stop before you go lala, shouldn't be a problem. :)

The worst party I ever went to was one I got drunk at even before I got there, everybody else though it was great, putting dog biscuits on my head and getting the dog to eat them, watching me trying to hold onto the toilet so I would fall over etc, a few years later I got a job in a pub and to watch what people do when theyre drunk really puts you off, especially when you see somebody walk into a pub at midday with the shakes from the night before, they spill most of the first drink and thats a scarey thought. Now I drink when I fancy one but if I havent got a drink then its no big deal, like everybody here says "all things in moderation". And DONT have a party at your house, remember after they've thrown up on your settee/bed/carpet and done god knows what else all over the house they can go home and sleep in their nice clean beds, you'll be left with the mess/breakages, its a really really bad idea.

People around my age tend to try new things and like to get drunk, possibly becuase they think its cool to get wasted or something. Since i have never tried drinking alcohol before but i've seen whats it like to become drunk. Not very nice must i say, its quite a bad habit to do. And of course theres nothing funny seeing somebody dying from choking on their own vomit while passed out. Also something to remember is "If you drink and drive, your a bloody idiot."