Question for Whiteknight

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously WK will answer for himself, but I will say that in the back room here at GR.net, I would say WK is more enthused about GR3 than he was before he went to Germany, by quite a fair bit.  :thumbsup:

There are still some things I dont' completely like, but I feel better about GRAW now than I had before leaving for Germany as Rocky said. I know a certain community manager over at Ubi had to have been sweating bullets til he got to read it (a couple of days ago for the first time mind you) and saw it posted here.

We'll just have to leave fraps running while we play  :o

And I've still got my free copy courtesy of a gr.net competition! :D (They won't change my email address though to send updates to :( and I'm leaving my job soon, so that email address will go down the pan )

And don't worry about spam rocky, good to hear your views on it as much, if not more than anyone else.

@ Ronin - I do sales exhibitions similar to this in my job. It may be a bit of the evil weed, but I have a feeling that stress + late nights + many drinks (not pop I may add) + the idea of WK coming over for a big review = looking like a man who's just puffed his way through a 1/4 or two :D

Obviously WK will answer for himself, but I will say that in the back room here at GR.net, I would say WK is more enthused about GR3 than he was before he went to Germany, by quite a fair bit.  :thumbsup:

There are still some things I dont' completely like, but I feel better about GRAW now than I had before leaving for Germany as Rocky said. I know a certain community manager over at Ubi had to have been sweating bullets til he got to read it (a couple of days ago for the first time mind you) and saw it posted here.

Not sweating bullets, WK... buckshot maybe, but not bullets. ;)

Great job on the report. And great job to Rocky and co. for their editing and prepping. And a big thanks to my Ubi peeps in Germany, the UK, and France who made this possible, as well as Bo and GRIN. :)

Is Starforce copyright protection to be used; Yes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will GRAW feature nothing but urban maps or will we have some open terrain to have firefights on?; Yes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!OOO!OO!O!O!O!O !!!!111!!! Shift !!!!!!!

How many players are supported for Coop games?; 2 Maybe 4

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What about replays?; No

NOOOOO! ok, err.. maybe i can live with it if the pysiques are that good.

4 man single player game

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! teh gayness.

First person weapon view only

Alright i like fpwv but i knwo many dont.... so

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they can fix that short little list they will be greatest devs ever....

Etheir way good report. Now im just waiting for the proof in the pudding.

The rest seems so good, just thoes little bits make me want to cry :'(

Edited by Prozac360

Is Starforce copyright protection to be used; Yes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may not be as intrusive as previous versions, it is not totally known at this time. Hopefully, I will be able to bring more news about this in the future.

Will GRAW feature nothing but urban maps or will we have some open terrain to have firefights on?; Yes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!OOO!OO!O!O!O!O !!!!111!!! Shift !!!!!!!

I heard of hints of some parks, but nothing totally rural. Remember, US Special Forces are being used in more unconvetional type ways, including direct action in an urban enviornment.

How many players are supported for Coop games?; 2 Maybe 4

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

From what Bo says, even 4 man teams for Coop will be good for games. The SP missions only feature a 4 man team and as noted above, it will be easier on everyone as to many tend to mean less fun (read killing of enemy) when one person gets fewer kills than everyone else.

What about replays?; No

NOOOOO! ok, err.. maybe i can live with it if the pysiques are that good.

More information on the physics in the future.

4 man single player game

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! teh gayness.

Not one of the things I am happy about, but am willing to give it a try, if not something that feels right, then I will blast it.

First person weapon view only

Alright i like fpwv but i knwo many dont.... so

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There looks to be a new view to be integrated into the game, more to follow.

If they can fix that short little list they will be greatest devs ever....

Etheir way good report. Now im just waiting for the proof in the pudding

Thanks Prozac. Please note, I still want a demo before buying.

Well, It looks like I broke the forums. :blink:

Edited by WhiteKnight77

i want coop for a squad not 4 guys, that makes one fireteam...

If any one remembers what alpha squad mod was all about they nailed it on the head, good team work oriented mod.

but by the hints they were throwing out.... Adverse should be a blast. :lol:

:ph34r: i can only guess as to what there upto :rocky:

Edited by Prozac360

Loved the report WK! I liked what Bo had to say and Ive got no real complaint. He said all the right things and the few things that I dont like I can live with. (main thing being only a 5 man squad)

That being said, I was more interested in what YOU thought, and the specifics. What exaclty are you not liking, what are you enthusiastic about? What do you have hopes will change? Did you get to see the game in action, cutscenes, what?

I want more!!! :bounce:

One of the things I love best is the 2 hour mission times!! :o Now that's going to take coop into a whole new dimension for me, as I liked coop in GR1, but it was always the ADV that grabbed me.

So you'll need good friends, good comms and good team work to get through that on a high AI skill level. I presume you'll get respawns? As I don't fancy having to sit it out for an hour to resume play again.

Good job WK. It's been a long time comming but now i've read your report i really feel that GR3 is real. Thank's.

A few questions.

1. Any mention of smoke/flash nades? I feel that smoke in GR1 could have added a much deeper dimention to an already great game. The mod WOI had em of a sort so it was doable. And after all it is an urban game so there will be a certain SWATish like combat sometimes.

2. Any news of a demo?

3. Did you get the impression that the early Nov release date is at all possible, or is it likely to be a stepping stone to the 'real' release date?

4. Isn't it odd at almost less than 3 months before the release date not to be even in the alpha stage?

5. I presume you saw some footage. We've only seen brief seconds and don't even know what part was mock up or real. Can you give us your impresion of what you saw of the first person look and feel of the footage?

Thank's again dude.

What I saw was actual playable code, yes, pre-alpha code is playable, but I wasn't allowed to play it.

As far as my likes and dislikes, I like the minimal HUD, as known, the HUD for the console versions is cluttered and the one for the PC version is less cluttered. One of my dislikes is the light bloom. At this stage, it is really bright in lots of cases, but they have yet to tone it done as mentioned in my interview.

Bo is confident that the game will ship on time. Notice when they started it compared to the XBox 360 version (around E3 2004 no less) compared to GRIN's Diesel engine. They know their engine really well and are able to get things up to speed really fast because of it, much like RSE can with their propriety engine. In the XBox case though, the 360 is new hardware and RSE has to code for something that is completely new and have to integrate new code into it, that takes some time.

one thing I'd ask Bo and the guys to reconsider - tracer color. Bo, I issue tracers to fire team leaders/squad leaders so they can mark targets. "contact - two targets - 3-oclock - 200 meters - follow my tracers"

This helps to mass fires on whatever target the leader feels is the greatest threat. The 7.62x39 (enemy) tracers are green while our M855 (5.56) tracers are red. tracers in the M2 Browning Heavy Barrel .50 cal work like you said, where we walk the weapon on target, but my point is with individual small arms, tracers are helpful for getting all operators to mass fire on selected targets.

Please reconsider tracer color!

WK, thank you so much for the report, it is much appreciated. While there are a few things I am not to thrilled with, for the most part it sounds like a winner and regardless, I plan to have an open mind based on the fact that GRIN does seemed concerned with what the fans want, which is outstanding in my book.

What I really look forward to is the mods that may come out of it. With the commitment that GRIN seems to have with the community, I would think that there will be more support for mods and if so, we might get some pretty amazing ones. I do 2 and 3D work with 3DS and Gmax for Flight Sim and some other games and look forward to trying my hand out with GRAW.

Hmmm, more PC gamers in Germany huh, might have to move soon :rofl:

Thanks also to Rocky for getting this posted, great job!

Great job on the report WK. It's nice to get some solid information from a set of eyes we can trust.

I'm VERY distressed by the comment that they will only allow 2 or 4 in co-op. If they just let us have room for the 9 we had in GR1, or say the 27 we can now script into missions, we will be more than happy to produce missions/scripts that make it a fun gaming experience for all.

@Prozac, I'll offer a general thanks from Alpha for your comment, we sure enjoy playing the AlphaMod and we have plenty of missions that make it quite enjoyable and difficult for a squad of 9 (or more) to finish in an hour (or more). Stay tuned for version 2.5 in the near future.

I just hope that either GRIN puts in the support for "full" co-op play from the outset. If not, then I hope they do not hamstring teh community from scripting "full" co-op missions that are open to more than 4 players.

I love all the info, Im definetly pumped about the game, enough so that this will be the first game i pre-order!

Only concern I have now is the modding features. Will there be server sided mission? how are maps made?

I can live w/o the most brillliant modding system, but I would hate to have to download an entire map especially if it's over 15-50 mbs just to play one mission. I would also like to see someething setup so we can prevent 50 versions of the same map floating around to the point where compatability issues will arise.

WK, I have a question; first and foremost, good job on the interview. you covered alot of ground. alot of my other questions got answered.

next, how was the nightvision? or was the screenshots of the nightvision the grey screens? my major concern was a realistic night vision. that grey vision, is that the night vision?

Edited by Papa6