Cinematic During Game

Palyarmerc

Just trying to script a mission with an in-game cinematic, problem is if i'm running when the cinematic cuts in, I keep on running, until I'm half way across the map.

Any ideas how to stop that?

Got it so I don't get shot during cinematic and I get 5 seconds before the enemy to react after cutscene ends, but thats all. I need to freeze the player controlled actors while they watch the cutscene.

Any ideas anyone?

By the way, I've spent hours on this mission, the plot and scripting are pretty cool, some stuff thats simple, but you may not have seen before.

Trying to add atmosphere, y'know

The enemy plans are naff, if that gives you a clue as to how busy with extra scripting I've been

Anyway, if you can help that'd be great

Anyone is welcome to test this mission, just let me know, it only weighs 127Kb

I'll test the mission.

To stop running when the cinematic starts, create a script block that switches the camera to the desired position, but does not activate cinematic mode. If you only switch the camera you can still move your characters around.

Set a timer to expire in 1 or 2 seconds. Create another script block to activate cinematic mode after the timer expires, and there is no need to switch the camera again. Using a timer gives the player time to stop moving before the cinematic starts. Well it would only work if you let go the 'forward' key though.

Yeah that might work, i'll give it a go, although I found that AI backup who are running to catch up are also vulnerable to this problem, and they won't stop when the camera switches (when using the run cheat, hence AI teamates are a way behind me)

You see, for some reason once cinematic cuts in, even if you've let go the button, when control returns it's like experiencing lag, and you have to hold the RMB down and move to unlock your forward motion ... i think it's probably some other scripting mistake i've made that's doing it and not really such a big problem.

Anyway, you'll see once you've got the mission. (with your idea implemented in the scripting)

i think it's probably some other scripting mistake i've made that's doing it and not really such a big problem.

I dont think its your fault. There is no way to ensure all players will stop moving if you do a cinematic during the gameplay. In MP its even impossible since how are you going to tell everybody to stop moving? And actually make them STOP moving :) (even with a vcoice program running)

The only thing you can do to make sure nobody moves during the cinematics is to load the playerplatoon in a truck when you start the cinematics. But this is kind of bad since after the cinematics the players will continue the mission on a different spot than they were before the cinematics, and you can not put them back in the spot they were before you teleported them.

You could make it an objective to visit a certain place. Teleport the truck when true to that place, load in the players. That way when the cinemtaics stop they will be in the same spot :D

Keep in mind cinematics crash dedicated servers. So you might want to add a block not to do cinematics if the gameplay is MP.

Hope this contains a bit usefull info, although its not much a solution to your problem.

Just as i thought, biggest shame is that the cinematic was built for co-op online, the adding of atmosphere bit, in fact, in hindsight, there's probably a number of errors I've made by not allowing for server over-loading crashes.

I already had everybody in one location before the cutscene, mainly to allow for the hide platoon off command, so the players don't get enemies materializing in front of them ( I hate that) but the load truck plans' a good one.

In all probability this map has been a bit of scripting fun, and it's the most time I've spent doing one, by others standards it's probably lame - I've just this second thought of a problem with my scripting whilst writing this....

:thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

I solved the problem.

In the end.

What I did was....by specifying that all ghosts had to be in one area for the cinematic to start, (so that I could spawn more enemies well out of sight from players) i simply teleported them to that zone at the end of the cinematic.

voila!

If you were guilty of moving before the cutscene, you may find yourself a little uncontrollable initially, but it works (along the lines already suggested whereby I teleported them into a (nearby) truck, but didn't try that because it wouldn't work with too many squad members to fit in the vehicle)

ah heck, like anybody cares or is even reading this LOL....

:P

• 3 weeks later...
If you were guilty of moving before the cutscene, you may find yourself a little uncontrollable initially, but it works (along the lines already suggested whereby I teleported them into a (nearby) truck, but didn't try that because it wouldn't work with too many squad members to fit in the vehicle)

I had the same problem and I solved it in pretty much the same way (thanks to GiWeDa ;)). However, I just tried the advice from el nino foxhound -- putting the PlayerPlatoon in a truck to stop them moving before teleporting them back -- and it worked! :D

Since you'll only ever have a maximum of 6 people (single player) you can easily fit everyone into one truck. You can't have cinematics during COOP anyway. :rocky:

You can't have cinematics during COOP anyway. :rocky:

It's not entirely true. You can have cinematics in Co-op, what you can't have is chopper (cinematic or play mods)

However cinematics in co-op are out of place since it's only waste of time. For example in my mission Wet sun the middle cinematic is skipped for co-op gameplays

If cinematics work fine in Multiplayer, but not on a dedicated server, couldn`t you just continueif the game mode is in Veteran level for cine`s or continueif the game mode is in elite for a dedicated?

Just been trying to get some cine`s working and it seems to work as long as you clearly state which mode you must use for dedi`s.

:unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My advice would be:

If you enjoy cinematics, firstly makes them available through Game Mode. Use Vet, for non cinematics for dedicated. Applying a patch like FNG DRX would be great though.

Making your own mod for your guys to play, add a vehicle that can hold more than 6 people. I know there is a few vehicle pks out there that are fine to take relevent files for your use, credits granted.

I use a 12 Man Truck here for our 9MS Mod for these issues and all is good. Blackarion was the creator i believe.

:)