New building idea

element11

Works for me.

Sorry for the long time between replies. I'm completely swamped until at least the first of the month. I have school, college classes, basketball, cross-country, and other real-life stuff. Most of this will be over soon and I can start working more with you on the mission ideas.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only honor roll? I'm gunna be the freaking valadictorian! :D And I'm taking early college classes, those suck though. I got a paper due in a few days and I also have a test over five chapters I've never looked at. But after that I'll be free for a few weeks, then it'll start all over again. :)

Edited by BrandonKappel

I got a question about shermanlevels. I have a bridge with grass underneath. I can go on the bridge, but since i dont know which shermanlevel to use (do i use shermanlevels or sherman transitions) i didnt put one one, so i cant walk under the bridge, only on it. What type of shermanlevel would i use to be able to go on and undre the bridge??

You can have one shermanlevel on a map that has objects you can walk over and under. The problem is in scripting and the way AI treats it. I think what you want to do is create another sherman level.

Create a new level at the approximate height of the bridge. Since you now have two levels you must use shermanlevelheights. A shermanlevelheight is a box which envelops all the floor polys on a shermanlevel. Make a box that surrounds the bridge and label it shermanlevelheight2.0 . Make another box that surrounds all the floor polys on the shermanlevel01_1.0 and name it shermanlevelheight1.0 .

There is more info on this in the pdf, and it takes a bit of trial and error to get it right and fully understand it. It is easier if you plan on setting it up this way as you make the map so as to make it easier to divide up the floor polys.

I think Deleyt just released his White Skull map in 3ds format. Get that and study it.

Another thing you will need to do is set up the room list for the levels. You can study Deleyts room list if you have the mod. It's in the map folder.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Yeah thats what i figured too, because thats what i would do if i was making some stairs, but with the way i have room one, the room with the bridge, if i ws to make a box to enclose the room 1 polygons, it would enclose the bridge too. Is this okay? Also if the 2 floors are touching i wouldnt need shermantransitions right?

Uggh portalization problems too... :wall::wall::wall:

This is gonna take me forever to get past the testing phase...

You can have more than one shermanlevelheight box in order to enclose all the poly of a room. The only requirement is that they overlap in some way. So say the bridge sits in the middle of room 01. You would make 4 separate shermanlevelheight boxes that surround the bridge. All of these boxes would be labled the same. Then you would make another box that very neatly enclosed the bridge, and label it to go with the second shermanlevel.

Now we have a problem with the area under the bridge.. To solve this problem you could create a plane say about 1 meter above the ground poly, that would "slice" the floor poly of the bridge very close to each end of the bridge. Select the bridge floor poly and boolean the newly created plane. Now discard the plane. When you make your shermanlevel box for the bridge, make it so it is 1 meter off the ground poly and encloses the bridge except for the lower 1 meter. create another shermanlevelheight box so that the top of it is 1 meter above the ground poly and label it like the other four shermanlevelheight boxes that have the ground polys in them and make sure it over laps the others.

Now select the bridge floor poly and make it an editable mesh. Detach the polys that got sliced and are touching the ground poly and extend 1 meter up and rename them.

All you have to do now is group every thing so its in the correct shermanlevel and room and it should work. In the map editor of 3ds, select your floor polys and under the "level" tab, tag which level that poly should be found.

You can get away without having transitions. I wouldn't put them in unless you were having problems or maybe on stairs.

I know it sound confusing but it is a solution putting in levels where you did not plan on having them. Don't forget the room list. I've forgotten to update that list before and it made me bang my head for days.. :wall:

Edited by bitshot

Some adjustments on both your comments:

You can have one shermanlevel on a map that has objects you can walk over and under.

You can have as many shermanlevels as you like, but you can use only 2 commandmaps to represent all shermanlevels.

Since you now have two levels you must use shermanlevelheights. A shermanlevelheight is a box which envelops all the floor polys on a shermanlevel. Make a box that surrounds the bridge and label it shermanlevelheight2.0 . Make another box that surrounds all the floor polys on the shermanlevel01_1.0 and name it shermanlevelheight1.0.

I think there's some mix up on the terms shermanlevel and shermanlevelheight:

A shermanlevelheight is a plane, not a box, representing a dynamic height within the gameworld.

A collection of shermanlevelheights can be compared to as a schematical plan to tell the engine which level goes underneath another or above one.

The actual place a shermanlevelheight is created doesn't really matter and doesn't represent the actual height it is created on. The order in which the shermanlevelheights are created does matter. Always start with 1.0 from the bottom, then upwards, increasing the number.

A shermanlevel is a collection of floors, encapsuled by shermanlevelboxes refering to the same shermanlevelheight.

These floors do not have to be on the same physical height within the gameworld. They can be a different height but still represent the same shermanlevelheight.

So, the order is as follows:

plane tagged as floor > floor encapsuled by shermanlevelbox named shermanlevel01_1.0 (<=example) > shermanlevelbox is linked to a shermanlevelheight named shermanlevelheight1.0 (<=example).

Now, whenever you start using shermanlevels you will have to start using shermanleveltransitions aswell.

A shermanleveltransition is nothing more but a portal to connect both shermanlevels.

To connect them, you'll need 2 shermanleveltransitions and 1 shermanlevelstairs, sitting inbetween both shermanlevels.

Maybe shortcuts will work, but most of the times it's just trying to get away with it.

As soon as you start making it more complicated you will get in trouble, so it's best to do it right straight away.

Shermanlevels really are easy, once you understand the concept.

Edited by deleyt

UGGHHH :wall::wall::wall:

I hate this. The testing is rediculous. As soon as i fix 2 things, 1, 2 or 3 things start going wrong, depending on how my day is going. I finally got portalization out of the way (Thank GOD!!! and yoiu guys too for helping :D ) But the dynamic grass wont work. It wont show up. I copied m01_groundcover.qob to moy models folder, and the m01_groundcover.rsb to my textures folder, made the point in the top viewport, named it ^foliagesetup(2)(m01_groundcover.qob)(1) and grouped it with room 1, and tagged my floor highgrass, and still nothing shows up in the game. What the hell is happening? I did exactly what the pdf said! Sorry if this is an angry sounding post but any mapmaker must have gone through stuff like this with so many problems!! I still havent even tested the factory! so i dont even know if it will work. On the brighter side, i must say, my map is looking quite nice in game.

All parameters seem OK. It should work this way, unless there's a difference between what you type here and what you've got in 3DSM (which I doubt).

Check to see if you maybe grouped the helperpoint within a group within group _1 (a nested group so to speak)

I took 6 in game screenshots, enjoy! Ill post some more after i get some stuff fixed.

Still cant get the dynamic grass in the game though...

Heres the first building:

ScreenShot14.jpg

Heres the second, small building:

ScreenShot13.jpg

And a view from on the buildings roof:

ScreenShot16.jpg

Heres some factory shots:

ScreenShot9.jpg

ScreenShot10.jpg

ScreenShot12.jpg

Im having a problem with the air ducts in the factory. The guys dont seem to want to go up the ladder. I tried with no shermanlevels, and with shermanlevels and transitions, and still nothing. The way the ladder is made, is i modelled the ladder, and tagged it non 3d collidable, non 2d collidable, then i put a plane overtop of the ladder to act as the surface for the ghost to walk on. I tagged that floor polygon and not rendered. Technically, the ghost should walk on the unrendered polygon, while seeming to be walking up the ladder. Anyone know why this wont work? I could send the max file (i have v4) if someone has the time.

Thanks a bunch!

Ive figured out the ladder dilemma, and it had nothing to do with too steep an angle. You have to go prone to climb it, which i really hate. I think if i open the hole up a bit more and make the duct a bit taller that will be better so you can be crouched. It is pretty cool i think :rocky: . I am having alot of strange problems ive never had before, and i cant seem to figure them out. In several doorways, you get stuck, and the only way to get past, is to move through the doorway while prone. Anyone know why this is?? It happens at the rooftop, the back entrance and at the top of the ladder going into the duct. I was thinking of also adding a vent to the roof so you can enter the ducts from the roof too. What do you think??

I got 2 new screens too:

ScreenShot23.jpg

ScreenShot22.jpg

If you have to go prone then AI will not be able to navigate it at all. You have obvious 2d collision problems and at this point in your map progress you will also notice pathing problems with all AI. Please keep these things in mind before releasing it to the public. You may also wish to hold off on the screenshots until you've textured your models adequately. Screenshots are suppose to show off how cool your map looks, not make it look as though you have no clue what you are doing. ;)

In several doorways, you get stuck, and the only way to get past, is to move through the doorway while prone. Anyone know why this is??

1. Make sure your doorway is tall enough to make your character go through without bumping it's head.

2. Check the top-plane of the doorway to see if it's not tagged as 2D colliding.

Screenshots are suppose to show off how cool your map looks, not make it look as though you have no clue what you are doing

They could also be for showing the progress the map is making. Then they don't have to be finished, but they're more for giving the reader an idea of what it's going to be.

When the mod is finished then you should show only the screenshots of the finished map, so it's like Sleeper said : to show off your map so people will actually download and play it.

Building (simple) geometry is quite simple, but texturing it so it represents what it should be and it fits in with the surrounding textures will take most of the time.

Apart from that I always like to see 'in-progress screenshots'.

I'll take back what I've said if these were indeed finished shots :P