What is your favorite pistol/revolver round

FA sear

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang. Well, I thank you guys for the high compliments. Sadly, I don't do much here anymore than the occasional look-around. Working over 20hrs a week with full time enrollment in a University zaps your time (and funds... even if I do squander what I have on guns :D).

Hmmm....is that a suppressor I see in the box along with the 5-7?? :huh:

Ditto, didn't know if it was that or a funky cleaning kit. Would be pretty useless beyond muzzle/blast flash elimination though, the round is super sonic and will still crack...

Bingo. Think AK. It's a cleaning kit. The container is a hollow handle and inside are the rod sections and bore brush.

Makes sence to me...not out of RooK balistics viewpoint though but out of a design viewpoint. That "lid" or extrusion at the top of it didn't seem very cleverly designed to be a suppressor in my eyes. Guess the fact I'm an old steel factory worker shines though :lol:

Hatchet, if I missed it sorry, will this be your daily carry piece? If so, what are you using to hold it?

I can attest to it being a laser out way past ranges I'd ever want to be using it. A guy at the range offered it up a while back, let me shoot a magazine full and $800 seems to be the going rate too even at my local snob shop, my surprise was ammo @ $20/50rds would make it difficult to practice with properly for me to carry one every day.

Hatchet, if I missed it sorry, will this be your daily carry piece? If so, what are you using to hold it?

I can attest to it being a laser out way past ranges I'd ever want to be using it. A guy at the range offered it up a while back, let me shoot a magazine full and $800 seems to be the going rate too even at my local snob shop, my surprise was ammo @ $20/50rds would make it difficult to practice with properly for me to carry one every day.

Yeah, this will be my carry piece. I am trying a couple of concealment holsters to see which one I like the best. I'll decide which holster once I get to the range and practice draws with various clothing and from different positions. It is the one time you have to get some face time in a full view mirror as well as get a buddy with a trained eye to check you out. After all, we all know what a break away concealment fanny pack looks like...exactly like a break away concealment fanny pack.

Bingo. Think AK. It's a cleaning kit. The container is a hollow handle and inside are the rod sections and bore brush.

Heh, an AK cleaning kit is exactly what I thought of when I saw it, cept that looks to be a wee bit bigger in diameter. I also noticed the lack of an extended muzzle like jchung, but didn't put much thought into.

jchung, if you want to, you can handload the 5.7 (I know dies are out there). Then you can cook up whatever recipie you want. I'd say some lightweight fmj bullets under a high pressure load would penetrate more kevlar then I'd like to buy.

Hey you revolver heads, what do you think about the Taurus? Any good, or are they second fiddle to Ruger.

I know some people say that the Taurus in the .454 has less recoil as the barrel sits lower than the Ruger. Any truth to this? I have never shot a Taurus, so I'm in the dark here. All I really know about Taurus is just the bits I have heard from other people.

Not sure about that - the 454, but Taurus' versions of the Beretta series were made with lathes, tools, and equipment purchased from Beretta in a deal. Actual dies from Beretta. Quality on those weapons and their versions of S&Ws 66 and 686 were actually quite nice.

If I remember right, what made the Taurus semi-autos out-class the Berettas wasn't the tooling or the model, but the materials used. Where Beretta was using cast metal, Taurus was using forged steel.

Quite a bit of quality difference there. :thumbsup:

Edited by Phantm

Yeah, this will be my carry piece. I am trying a couple of concealment holsters to see which one I like the best. I'll decide which holster once I get to the range and practice draws with various clothing and from different positions. It is the one time you have to get some face time in a full view mirror as well as get a buddy with a trained eye to check you out. After all, we all know what a break away concealment fanny pack looks like...exactly like a break away concealment fanny pack.

I'd be interested to know what you decide on? And where you end up carrying it?

Now why do you think he would tell you where he is carrying it. The idea is to not let people know you have it.

Ditto ! !

I carried my Colt Mark IV Series 80 Combat Commanders in a couple of different ways: A miami Classic Shoulder Rig by Galco(my favorite. It was very comfortable), on occassion in a regular fanny pack with my wallet after one too many muggings after cashing my pay check(back in the day when the gang bangers thought they ruled Denver), and a Don Hume H717 # 10 High Ride. I also had a small of the back Horizontal holster a long time ago that I absolutely loved.

Sigh. And someday I too shall win the lottery and get all of my stuff back.

:whimper: :sniffle:

There have been other holsters tried out over the years, but those were my favorites. I always hated inside-the-pants holsters.

The Super Redhawk 9.5" 44 mag I carried in a shoulder rig that carried the gun on my chest. I used to go Elk hunting with it back in Colorado. Actually I only did that one year, and discovered what a pain in the ass that was with a backpack and such. After that trip, it was my Ruger M77 Heavy Barrel .308 with Leupold 6.5X20X50 mil dot, and one of my Commanders as back up for cougars and such.

I finally traded in that heavy assed Super Redhawk(a great gun, but too big to be any kind of practical) for a Ruger Super Blackhawk 6.5" 44 mag., and a Ruger Vaquero in 5.5" 45 LC.

And I did have a Firestar in 45ACP. That was short lived though. You can carry the damn thing in your jeans pocket(I did on several occassions, but shooting it with any kind of load at all was a bear.

That Firestar is an excellent backup weapon in 9mm though. Great fit inside a cowboy boot(with the clip on inside the pants holster for it), or in an ankle rig.

jchung, if you want to, you can handload the 5.7 (I know dies are out there).  Then you can cook up whatever recipie you want.  I'd say some lightweight fmj bullets under a high pressure load would penetrate more kevlar then I'd like to buy.

Good to know :thumbsup:

The problem I have with the 5-7 was that the standard FMJs were probably less effective than even a 5.56mm. I just don't trust the standard rounds that are currently available to civilians to down a man reliably in one shot. If it is dark, I don't want to have to make a head shot, so I just don't trust the 5-7 rounds that are available to civilians.

If I could get the same stuff that agency personel get, then yeah, I would probably have one for personal protection, but frankly the standard rounds that I got to shoot, I don't trust. Unless there is conclusive evidence that they actually tumble I'm not jumping in just yet.

Well I'm off to go shooting, so I'll see you guys later. ;)

A little off topic here, but for anyone interested in reading stories about snipers, get :

Marine Sniper - about Carlos Hathcock. The man is a record holder, even though deceased. He was an amazing man, and an even more amzing sniper. He's a legend and the book is awesome.

In the fiction department, read:

Point of Impact and Black Light by Stephen Hunter. The man has his facts straight, he's a great story writer, and there are plenty of details(accurate) about guns, loads, and legends.

All threee of these are fantastic reads, especially for anyone interested in guns and snipers.

Edited by Phantm

.45 ACP - there is no other IMHO

I keep a Magazine filled with Winchester Ranger T RA45T 230 grain .45 ACP ammo in my P-14.45 (14rds)

I'm so jealous bro. Do you have the LDA or the SA version? FYI, you can get two-round extensions for the 14.45. A couple of the SWAT guys I know have them. Must be nice to have 17 flying ashtrays in your sidearm. :)

I'm so jealous bro.  Do you have the LDA or the SA version?  FYI, you can get two-round extensions for the 14.45.  A couple of the SWAT guys I know have them.  Must be nice to have 17 flying ashtrays in your sidearm.  :)

It's the SA, and it's heavy enough with 14+1 :) & 4 spares, if you can get them to the point that they feed reliably(mine always has) then I can't see a reason for a single stack.

I am almost as old as Sam Fisher, I might as well have his gun. Just traded my previous 5-7 for a new USG 5-7.

Don't let Hatchet shoot new guns, he will go buy them. ;)

Personally, I am partial to the 9mm Hydra-Shok HP in my 92FS.

hyroshock.jpg

That 147 grain HS is the only decent 9mm round out there.

As for the Beretta, not my style. I'm a 45 man.

As for letting HF shoot new guns, let him leep shooting and buying and,

@hatchetforce,

I know that you can never have too many guns, but if you ever decide to clean the gun house, or that you just don't want to service this gun or that gun any longer, think of me, buddy. I'm only a phone call and a short drive away.

I know it's a heavy cross for you to bear, having all those neat toys, and let me be the first to volunteer to come and help you bear that cross. :ph34r:

Edited by Phantm

I'm so jealous bro.  Do you have the LDA or the SA version?  FYI, you can get two-round extensions for the 14.45.  A couple of the SWAT guys I know have them.  Must be nice to have 17 flying ashtrays in your sidearm.  :)

It's the SA, and it's heavy enough with 14+1 :) & 4 spares, if you can get them to the point that they feed reliably(mine always has) then I can't see a reason for a single stack.

Anything that carries 14+1 will be heavy. The 10mm I got has 15+1 capacity in a full-size all steel frame. Fully loaded it weighs more than my 4" 629. :huh: Now I'm having a hell of a time finding supplies locally for handloading, looks like it's time to resort to Midway or some other retailer with online access. Heck if I'm going to pay the $18+ they want locally for a box of 50 for the 'cheap' stuff. Not to mention it's underpowered.

PS: Still looking for the stupid camera cord.

Don't worry Phantm, you'll be the first to know. :P

@Serellan - Someone has to be the sucker born that minute, might as well be me.

I told Paul after I put the first couple of controlled pairs downrange that I hated him for letting me shoot it because I just had to have one.