What is your favorite pistol/revolver round

FA sear

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.45 but i really wanna get my hands on a FN57 someday.  :guns:

:thumbsup: I love that gun. I have gone to the range and continually shot circles around people with it. I am going back up to FN to do some coordination in the near future and am looking forward to seeing what else they have up their sleeves.

Companies are always expanding. We just did spent time with Surefire and they are making some of the best suppressors on the market. They even claim that due to tight manufacturing tolerances, their product INCREASES accuracy. We'll see.

I talked to a guy at a gun range last week, and he said that he had heard that Remington is supposed to put out some potent civilian legal ammo. Now of course this is something I'm hearing from someone I just met at a range, and he heard it from.....

Let's just say that I'm not holding my breath, but if Remington does put this stuff out, then at only $800, I'll be picking up one of these little toys right away. The trigger is real nice for a gun this side of a 1911.

I know a guy that works for a local agency, and he just sent off an order for the SS192 ammo on his agency letterhead. He said the next time we go out shooting he will bring some of the stuff out to shoot. Can't wait to see firsthand what it will do to bags filled with water and starch, water bottles, small safes, etc.... Looking forward to warmer weather already.

Edited by jchung

• 2 weeks later...

270 dollars? How does it shoot? Looks nice and clean. Sounds like you got a deal.

I like the Hogue grip. I used to have one just like that on an old Kimber I had. I know most people like the grip on a 1911, but for some reason that is the one thing that I do not like about a 1911. That Hogue grip solved that issue though. Call me crazy, but I really liked the grip on my old Glock 21 .45 ACP. I know, I'm nuts.

It's reliable so far, but then I haven't found any 200gr Speer HPs to shove through it yet (that will be THE test). As for accuracy, couldn't tell you. It's been too cold or wet (rained again today) to get comfy and shoot for groups with those awful GI sights.

We'll wait to hear back from you RooK.

Anyone here have a lot of experience with 10mm 1911's? I have been thinking about getting an Ed Brown or Les Baer in a 10mm, but I have heard that the 10mm cartridge really gives the gun a beating. I guess the steel slide on a steel frame causes more stress?

I have never owned a 1911 10mm, and the only 10mm I have shot were a couple Glocks and an STI, but supposedly the polymer frames will absorb some of the shock. However, I question this because even the STI frame is actually steel and the handle is just polymer.

Anyone know the actual "facts" on this?

We'll wait to hear back from you RooK.

Anyone here have a lot of experience with 10mm 1911's? I have been thinking about getting an Ed Brown or Les Baer in a 10mm, but I have heard that the 10mm cartridge really gives the gun a beating. I guess the steel slide on a steel frame causes more stress?

I have never owned a 1911 10mm, and the only 10mm I have shot were a couple Glocks and an STI, but supposedly the polymer frames will absorb some of the shock. However, I question this because even the STI frame is actually steel and the handle is just polymer.

Anyone know the actual "facts" on this?

http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/10tech.html

That should be helpful. I've even considered doing a 10mm swap on my RIA, with a new slide. It would be tempting if I could fit the slide/barrel myself. Got any info on that?

Whisper, there is a reason the Bren Ten isn't made anymore. It had 'teething' problems that were never quite fixed. If you can afford one of those that do exist, more power to you, but most modern 10mms are infinately better.

Teething problems understood Rook, to jchungs post, it was more of an attempt to ad some levity to the thread without it straying too far off-topic.

Excellent link by the way, it was very informative, ad for your handfit question? Can't help you there, sorry.

I know that SPW/Olympic Retail Catalog (pistol barrels on page 64) does some slides and barrels in 10mm, unsure if they handfit their kits themselves or will let you do the work? Might be worth looking in to, I can PM an name and email address to their marketing/service guy if you are interested, he's always been very helpful, and prompt with any responses. He too is a 10mm collector, so he may also have some other suggestions for you?

Of course there is always the Kimber Desert Warrior in 10mm from the Custom Shop?

I haven't got the money for an expensive 1911, otherwise I'd bought a Dan Wesson Razor. Retrofitting a slide/barrel should be less than $500. Besides, it would be fun to build it myself. :) Sure, send them an email and ask. I haven't looked at the catalog yet to see what they offer, but a 6" barrel and possibly 6" slide would be perfect.

I haven't got the money for an expensive 1911, otherwise I'd bought a Dan Wesson Razor.  Retrofitting a slide/barrel should be less than $500.  Besides, it would be fun to build it myself.  :)  Sure, send them an email and ask.  I haven't looked at the catalog yet to see what they offer, but a 6" barrel and possibly 6" slide would be perfect.

PM inbound to you with an email address.

Anyone here shoot a .357 Sig? A buddy of mine has an HK .357 and I have always enjoyed shooting that gun. The round seems to have very good power, and it seems to have a very hight ballistic coefficient as the bullet drop seems to be very minimal compared to a lot of other ammo we shoot.

I'm just always left wondering if it is nothing more than a glorified hyper 9mm. I have also shot a Glock .357 with the same results as the Hk of course, but when shooting softer targets the .45 and 10mm appear to create much more damage, and even a .40 S&W seems to be comparable if not a better round. Now of course the heaviest .357 round we shot was a 147gr, while the .40 S&W was a 165gr.

Does anyone here have a good bit of experience with this round?

I played with my cousin's S&W Simga in .357 for a bit. The gun was terrible as far as feel/trigger, but it functioned fine. I loved the cartridge though. The thing to remember with the Sig is it maches the .357 mag in velocity of light bullets, like the 125gr. Get they heavier ones and velocities drop fast. It's meant for flesh work, not barrier penetration. I'd still go with a properly loaded 10mm or .38 Super instead, or even (dare I say?) 9x25.

I played with my cousin's S&W Simga in .357 for a bit.  The gun was terrible as far as feel/trigger, but it functioned fine.  I loved the cartridge though.  The thing to remember with the Sig is it maches the .357 mag in velocity of light bullets, like the 125gr.  Get they heavier ones and velocities drop fast.  It's meant for flesh work, not barrier penetration.  I'd still go with a properly loaded 10mm or .38 Super instead, or even (dare I say?) 9x25.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that assessment. Now as far as the 9X25 goes, I'm assuming you meant 9X23? Although if there is a new 9X25 round how does it fire?

57proto3.jpg

The first rifle we will introducing in the 5.7mm caliber is a upper receiver for the AR15. It uses the  50 round magazines and features a true free float barrel, picitinny rails and more. The recoil springs are contained in the upper receiver. Price estimated to be $550 from the dealer.

The second rifle will be more traditional than the R22 yet still utilize a free float barrel for high accuracy capabilities. The rifle will use the standard pistol magazines in 10 or 20 rounds and feature a 17" button made barrel.  Priced around $500

Rhineland Arms

Under the Rifles Section

5.7*28mm

Interesting to say the least..any ideas/thoughts on what the 17" barrel will do to velocity?

With the magazine on the top, the spent casings will drop straight out the magwell :) if ammo becomes less cost prohibitive, this might be a fun little toy, especially with 50rounds.