GRAW for PC

First:

@WK. Great!! We're all looking forward to see what you have to say about the new game. It's very refreshing for me to hear that you've been frank to them about what we want, like, and do not like. Especially after the way they treated the PC community before.

Perhaps some comments here have gone too far, I do admit that. However, these sentiments were stemmed from the way game developers have 'dumbed down' games in order to favour the more 'arcade oriented' majority of console gamers. Even to the point of actually making a sequel of a good PC game for console first, then porting it to PC.

It is undoubtedly the PC community that had kept GR alive all these years. I mean, we've been playing, modding, and pretty much dissecting the game years before the first Console port, and more importantly, we keep it alive all those times, while other games wither and disappear. What is a disappointment is that all these time and effort, by all these talented people, are seemingly ignored by the game developers/publishers. A case that best illustrates this is the GR2 affair. And one does have to admit that the newer games that come out have more of a 'console' feel to it, then classic PC games. Of course, this is done because the console market is more profitable, and so on and so forth...but you see the root of the problem here.

Again, apologies if some comments from the PC community have struck a raw nerve here and there. Let's all work together to bring a good, satisfying, game, like the classic GR to everyone who wants it.

Out.

Edited by Pave Low

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone here really wants the console version to be "worse" than the PC version, unless those people are just going to act like spoiled children. At worst, people on the PC side won't care if the console version is worse or not.

I took WK's statement to mean the game was going to be more like the original PC game and less like the console game. That's my hope anyway, it was pretty cryptic the way he said it, but I suspect in addition to getting all his thoughts organized and written to print to us, he'll probably have to get everything he wants to say approved through Ubi, so cryptic may be the best he can do for now.

I will say that I will have to send a copy to Mathieu Girard (this is the correct spelling for his name, I didn't have his card yesterday).

I spent more than 6 hours between yesterday and today with Bo and about an hour or so with Mathieu. They were more than happy to give me the time both days to answer questions.

I expressed community doubts and concerns about some things as a whole, not just PC or console, and even touched at how some will feel slighted. Mathiue understands and explained it pretty well I believe.

I want to reiterate, that Bo reads these forums on a daily basis and much of what I have seen is as EA would put it (give me a break :P), "It's in the Game." While this is a bit cryptic along with some of my earlier posts in this thread, I will be getting clarifications from Bo to make sure I report accurate information to the fans everywhere. Of course, Mathieu will have to approve of the report once finalized before publishing.

I did get pics of the us and booth babes so everyone will see some of the stuff I saw as I wandered around the halls waiting to meet up with Bo and Mathieu. I also wandered around the press center and struck up some interesting conversations with a couple of other developers and even got a hands on tryout of a new game from Play Ten Interactive. I will be writing a seperate report on these other companaies products once I finish researching them.

Again, I want to thank HangtownSOG and the rest of Ubi (Razz messed up and didn't pick a UK winner apparently) gang here In Germany for being so open and available to me even if I have been a bit of a thorn in their side.

Thanks for that W.K.

Look forward to the full report, Its realy good to see you enjoying your self :whistle:

We have been saying for a long time Grin.Inc will do there utmost for the PC community and it looks like most of it is coming true.

Nice One.

Colin

I know y'all want information, but you will have to be patient. While I haven't had to sign an NDA, I still have to have my report OKed. While I do know a few things I can't write about, let's wait and see what transpires between now and the time of release. If a feature makes into game, you can thank me. I will make sure Bo let's y'all know it was something we had discussed (and that is all I am saying on that subject).

Someone who posts at the Ubi forums needs to link to this thread (I stopped by earlier this evening though I didn't post, that is how I knew about the NDA question).

I feel I speak for everyone here WK when I say if the game sucks..and is not exactly what we want..we will all blame you. :D

Have fun in Germany...and make the board proud.

HACK

There are some really neat features I saw during the demo (I still have yet to see the press kit disk I have so there may be a PC video to share). I will say I am impressed so far and as most of y'all know, I am a picky SOB when it comes to games. Let me get everything sorted and clarified and OKed and see what you think.

I know y'all want information, but you will have to be patient. While I haven't had to sign an NDA, I still have to have my report OKed. While I do know a few things I can't write about, let's wait and see what transpires between now and the time of release. If a feature makes into game, you can thank me. I will make sure Bo let's y'all know it was something we had discussed (and that is all I am saying on that subject).

Someone who posts at the Ubi forums needs to link to this thread (I stopped by earlier this evening though I didn't post, that is how I knew about the NDA question).

Done :thumbsup:

This all sounds like very good news. We will all be looking forward to your report WK. I presume that UBE/Grin just want to confirm correctness and avoid misperceptions, and that they will not try to squash information you want to share with us.

Based on your early (but vague) comments and the IGN article I know I am feeling more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago!!

WK deffinitely sounds like the right man for the job. While I was envious when I heard he was picked, I know I couldn't be as effective as him, and I think there's few people who could do such a good job.

Thanks WhiteKnight. YouDaMan

Hi,

the original GR had great sound and you actually "felt" like you were creeping through bushes, had bullets flying past and hitting a rock behind you etc, or hear tanks that you can't see yet. In fact I'm sure I read that the sound engineers won awards for their work. My PC wont be able to handle any flashy graphics, but I'd still enjoy the game if it managed to create the same kind of atmosphere through the way it sounded.

So, what I'd like to know is, how does it sound and are the guns meaty? :o=

Thanks.