H&K416

Papa6

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need to goto the range and shoot the round. I get more excited about it each time I see the dang things.

I shoots very nicely. It has more recoil than a 5.56mm (which is not saying much), but IMO it seemed to kick less than a 7.62X39mm. Very controllable round in full auto mode.

• 5 months later...

did the 416 get entered into the SCAR program or was it too late?

H&K CEO John Meyer Jr. in Army Times - 26th February 2007;

H&K officials now describe their decision not to enter the 416 in the SCAR competition as a "strategic mistake", Meyer said.

Here's a fairly new film of the weapon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ObWpWXrt9I

DS

• 3 weeks later...

And to those complaining about us only using 5.56, you gotta remember that you want something with less recoil when you're in close quarters combat. And not only that, I heard HK is also releasing a 417 which is basically the same as the 416 except it fires 7.62. Haven't heard much about the 417 though.

Just thought you guys might be interested in this. I just found it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNNCJ85ixv0

The 416 has been around for a long time. It's still just a gas-piston operated M16, lust like a 417 would be a gas-piston operated AR10. Nothing new, just HKs version because they're running out of ideas for a cash cow.

Edited by RooK

I think it's better than the M8. Atleast it looks better than the M8. Doesn't look all futuristic. Looks like the modern assault rifles. And yeah HK may be running out of ideas but atleast they're good ones. They improved the SA-80 for the Brits and now they made better 5.56 and 7.62 assault rifles for us. And I read an article somewhere about the 416 that the idea was actually brought up by a former Delta member. The article said the D-Boys were looking for a good CQB gun other than the M4 cause they said the M4 had too many problems. So they had been using the G36. I think it's a good idea but I'm not in the military yet so I wouldn't know. I always hear people complaining about the M4 and M16 jamming and how the AK47 can be fired in any condition. Seems to me like now we can do the same with the HK416. Anybody know if conventional units are being issued the 416 yet or is it still just the M4 and M16? Cause I remember the one guy in the video I posted saying it's harder for conventional units to get these weapons. Wish it was possible for civilians to get the HK416 cause I'd definately get one. I have a RRA AR-15. Thing is a blast to fire...literally. But when I called the one gunshop where we bought the AR-15, they hadn't even heard of the HK416. I think they're only for military and security contractors at the moment though.Perhaps...some day...I'll own my own HK416 ::Look of hope::

Man, why did that article have to remind me that the worst Operation in Afghanistan happened on my birthday. Kinda sucks that the regular military is sticking with the M4 and M16. Could be a budget thing. I just can't read anymore about that thing. It's so sweet and I so want one.

But when I called the one gunshop where we bought the AR-15, they hadn't even heard of the HK416. I think they're only for military and security contractors at the moment though.Perhaps...some day...I'll own my own HK416 ::Look of hope::

HK announced a long time ago they weren't going to sell them to civvies, despite it being 100% legal. I remember a bunch of guys on forums were planning on their buds in the LE business buy them and redistribute. My opinion: Why the heck do you want to buy a gun from someone who thinks you, as a civilian, shouldn't have it? You know with it being HK it's going to be overpriced anyway, and there are other piston-driven AR uppers available that do the same thing. Is the desperation to own something stamped HK that strong? If they don't want my money, they can stick it.

BTW, an AK won't fire in all conditions. It will fire in most, though, due to loose tolerances in the gun. Makes for great reliability but crappy accuracy. You can't have your cake and eat it to, so a piston upper won't solve everything.

But when I called the one gunshop where we bought the AR-15, they hadn't even heard of the HK416. I think they're only for military and security contractors at the moment though.Perhaps...some day...I'll own my own HK416 ::Look of hope::

HK announced a long time ago they weren't going to sell them to civvies, despite it being 100% legal. I remember a bunch of guys on forums were planning on their buds in the LE business buy them and redistribute. My opinion: Why the heck do you want to buy a gun from someone who thinks you, as a civilian, shouldn't have it? You know with it being HK it's going to be overpriced anyway, and there are other piston-driven AR uppers available that do the same thing. Is the desperation to own something stamped HK that strong? If they don't want my money, they can stick it.

BTW, an AK won't fire in all conditions. It will fire in most, though, due to loose tolerances in the gun. Makes for great reliability but crappy accuracy. You can't have your cake and eat it to, so a piston upper won't solve everything.

Does this mean that you can buy a certain part for your M4 or M16 to customize it to be like the HK416? Cause if so, that would be much easier than buying a whole new gun. And while I'm more of a Colt person, I think HK's MP5 is still one of the best weapons for CQB. And while their G36 does look awesome, I'd rather have an M4 or M16.

There are complete piston uppers for sale (from other MFGs), I do know of one "drop-in" piston kit for the DIY inclined. Colt as well will be coming with their own Piston Rifle Shortly as well.

For my money, the existing DI system works fine, and I personally don't see the need for one, but I am not the targeted end user. :)

Olympic Arms has been making a piston-driven based AR for years now. Can't say I'm a fan of Oly, but even they have a one up on HK's 'breaking' technology advancements in the AR design. :lol:

PS: I'm not a Colt fan either, they're almost as bad as HK.

Yeah the one we have is Rock River Arms. The Armory(gunshop name) owner said Colt is more expensive and sort of a collector's item. He said if you wanna squeeze off rounds for target shooting, the Rock River one was best. He also said they supply the Israelis and we got ours when the Israelis had just launched the military campaign against Hezbollah. So it was pretty great. I remember I was playing Joint Operations(Oh lord I'm feeling sick) and my dad showed me the paper work for it. And I was like "Cool you actually bought one" and then he asked if I wanted to see it and I was stoked. It's a very nice weapon. I love it. I also heard Bushmaster makes good AR's. Anyways, here's the link to our rifle: http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.c...FTOKEN=57388981

Have a goodun.

Olympic Arms has been making a piston-driven based AR for years now. Can't say I'm a fan of Oly, but even they have a one up on HK's 'breaking' technology advancements in the AR design.

As an Olympic Owner (Lower Receiver/Barrel) I'll take exception to that remark :P

Are you sure they make a piston AR, can you link a source, they make a lot of rifles, and offered a lot of firsts in the industry for civilians, like A3's & Pistol Caliber Carbines, but I'm not familiar with their piston offering..thought they did assemble FAL's for a bit

Oh yeah, welcome back Rook, nice to see you around again :thumbsup: schools good for you?

Very well put. My grouping still sux but I have slowly been improving with the AR we have. We also have a Ruger 10/22 rifle which we gotta clean cause it has jammed a few times. We just cleaned the AR-15 not too long ago. And since we've cleaned it, we haven't shot it due to our schedules. But after firing the AR-15 the .22 feels like a BB gun. It's definately fun to shoot though.