New Download System Publicly Launched

Rocky

Today I am opening our brand new downloads database for use by all visitors. Before I list all the new features I'd like to document a few facts.

History

• In June of 2005 every Ghost Recon mod in our database was lost when an employee at Gamespy deleted the entire folder at Fileplanet containing every mod we ever uploaded, and the database containing all the detailed information on those mods. Although almost every mod could be recovered from other sources and reinstated over time, this stupid decision made by someone at Gamespy meant that 4 years of work uploading and documenting hundreds and hundreds of mods was wiped out in an instant. Words cannot express how much of a kick in the teeth that was.
  • During June, July and August of 2005 I set about installing, customising and populating a brand new improved database system. This new system would be located on our own server and backed up at regular intervals. No longer will we rely on a third party for our downloads information.
  • In mid August the new database was functional and populated with the majority of popular Ghost Recon mods. Where working download locations could not be found I (again) uploaded the mods from personal local backups to a new mirror location for public download.

So that's where we are now, the database is live and you can access it from any page by clicking the Downloads link at the top. Before I go on to list the new features of this system, I should make a few acknowledgments.

Acknowledgments

• Several Staff members here helped populate the new database with mod details, mod locations, supplied important archive information to assist the process, and helped test the new system. Thanks to zjj, Stalker, Giweda, Phantom and Dannik. Without their help I wouldn't have been able to stomach the amount of work involved. Oh, and thanks to Avey for the new buttons because everyone said the ones I made were rubbish.
  • There are a handful of fan sites that have been maintaining their own Ghost Recon download databases, keeping them up-to-date and online for a long time. Those sites are to be congratulated for their hard work, and thanked for sharing their mod information with us in light of our disaster. Those sites are Ghostaholics, GR-Retreat and Woodies.
  • Download Mirrors. The websites that host the files we catalogue here have to be thanked for hosting the mods. Users should think about clicking the donate button on these sites, or visiting their sponsors. For the most part those sites are again Ghostaholics, GR-Retreat and Woodies.

Enough waffle, here's what you can expect from the shiny new downloads system...

New Features

Search Feature. Yes, at last you can easily find the mod you are looking for just by hitting the search button. You can enter any data you like, for example, enter Jack57, and a list if all Jack's great campaigns will be listed.

List Sorting. When looking at a list of mods in any category (for example, all the Campaigns), you can use a drop down box at the foot to re-order the list by name (alphabetic), number of downloads, rating, or date added. Note that the best mods are permanently pinned to the top of each list, regardless of sorted order.

Detailed Information. For every mod entry we are striving to give you all the information you need. Details will include any alternative download locations (mirrors), links to documentation, links to reviews, rating, number of downloads, and a screenshot.

Patches. No more hunting around for the latest patch for a mod. If there are any patches, they will be listed right there in the mods details, with the download link.

Email File. Want to share the file with the rest of your squad? Hit the email button, fill in your friends e-mail address and they will automatically be sent all the details they need to download the mod.

Comments. At the bottom of every mod entry you can leave your comments about the mod, or browse other fans thoughts on the download.

We have further improvements on the cards, but I did not want to delay opening the Downloads system up any longer. Over the coming weeks you'll notice more and more files added as we find more of the old stuff, and add more new files - including Ghost Recon 3 material!

I really hope you enjoy it's new features, and of course welcome your feedback. :D

Rocky,

The new system is awesome. The work that we did to help you put this back together, at least for me, was the least I could do for a friend who has kept this site going for what, 5 or 6 years?

Compared to that, helping replace these mods seems a very small task.

You have been an important part of this community from the day you went live. I dare say that there might not be a GR community today, without your tireless work and effort.

I look at the member list every now and then, and a great many of us have been around since the beginning.

After that kick in the teeth(not the part of the anatomy I would have likened that act too, but you have always been more diplomatic than I have), you would have been fully justified in saying F#$k it ! ! And I know you did a couple times, I don't know anyone who wouldn't have felt that way.

But you didn't. You revived it all again and kept it alive. I know many other sites that have given up after being hacked or screwed over one or two times, but not you.

I speak only for myself when I say it isn't me that you should be thanking for the little bit of help we contributed, but us who should be thanking you for continuing to be the base of one of the internet's best and most solid communities.

Thanks for not throwing in the towel, and for once again showing that some blathering idiot won't keep you down.

Rock On, Rocky, and any help I can give, you have but to ask.

As a side note, I noted that the mods listed aren't all of them. If anyone wants something that isn't there, please let me know, and I can get it to you, and then to Rocky for upload. I have most all of the mods, the only shortage I really have is some of the skin mods.

Edited by Phantm

This is a great day for the history of the gr.net community.I wanna thanks Rocky for what he has done. What he has done is a prove of his perseverance: many people, after such a kind of situation, could react abandoning everything but Rocky reacted in the best way he could.

I have no doubt that Rocky is able to face all the problems that might arise in his life in a similar manner and therefore I wanna to congratulate to him to be such a great man.

There's no better way to thank him becoming a supporter of this site and for those already a supporter to donate some more money.

Thanks Rocky

Thanks for all your hard work Rocky! And kudos to the rest of the GR.net staff that contributed to the new database! :notworthy:

We know you likely had a lot of better things to do than mashing away at the keyboard the last several weeks creating the database.

It was the shame to lose the previous database, but that loss was the GR community's gain with the new system which is a great improvement :)

Cheers all around! Phantm summed it up, Rocky, you rock bro, this site has been a home away from home for me, and many of these other misfits. You and the staff here are golden and as has been said by others, if there's anything I can do, just ask. The new d/l section is great, I think it will end up being a great improvement. Thanks again to all involved. X

Thanks for all the great work, everyone!

My heart sank when I read that all that work had disapeared in an instant. I still can't understand how someone could do that.

This new downloads section looks great, the new features are fabulous, and I thank anyone who helped out with this huge project.

This new download section looks really great. Much faster to find a mod then before.

Just a notice : Ghostaholic is reaching lots of hits from this site and because our resources are not limited i'm putting registration for accessing files back on.

We are buying a dedicated server for our site and then i'll put registration off(when we have it) again.

I hope we have it in less then 2 months (when we raise enought money).

Sorry about that.

This new download section looks really great. Much faster to find a mod then before.

Just a notice : Ghostaholic is reaching lots of hits from this site and because our resources are not limited i'm putting registration for accessing files back on.

We are buying a dedicated server for our site and then i'll put registration off(when we have it) again.

I hope we have it in less then 2 months (when we raise enought money).

Sorry about that.

Hey, no worries - we really appreciate you guys supporting GR fans with your downloads.

Rocky, I have a question about the paFileDB.... Is it possible to "turn off" certain aspects, i.e comments (so people can't post comments)?

The reason I ask is because we're looking at the possibility of using paFileDB on a new project we're working on. There's a possibility we'll be using paNews too.