Hummvees

Foxtrot360

You don't have enough heavy armor to button up everbody in theatre. Even if you did, you would get the same result, instead of an RPG, it would be a shaped charge or a mine. The Russians had the same experience in Afghanistan.

If you only have enough personnel to conduct roving patrols, the enemy simply has to study the routes and select the ambush point. The initiative is with the attacker and on his terms.

not to mention there are sevral diffrent types of humv... the higher armor ones fair pretty decent to all kinds of fire.

I dont know if you guys remember but when Donald Rums. went to Iraq the soldiers asked him about getting more of the heavy armor Humvs. Seems to me like they appreciate them.

Kind of OT, but the newer civilian Hummers aren't really Humvees any more.

GM took the Humvee body, re-engineered it, and set it on a Suburban Frame. THe new ones have lost all of the ground clearance that the original Humvee had, and are nowhere near as reliable or resiliant as the original.

Short story:

The new ones SUCK ! !

The only real thing that I've heard negative about the Humvee is that some people find it too wide so it can't go in places that other vehicles could.

Thats true, but a narrow vehicle has a higher center of gravity and is more prone to rolling then a humvee is.

In Canada, we drive LUVWs (Gwagons) which are decent enough for peace support ops in urban areas. They're small enough to get through traffic and the armour is supposed to be able to stop most small arms (Personally, I've never tested). But the downside of the added armour - and I can see this problem with any vehicle - is that it couses more wear and tear. We're talking about hundreds of kilos being added to the vehicle frame. Even with the recently upgraded suspension, its pretty rough ride off road.

My own experience with the humvee is pretty limited, but just recently I saw the wreckage of one that hit an AT mine in Afghanistan. It blew a big chunk out of the rear of the vehicle, but the 3 guys inside were able to walk away. If the same mine had hit a GWagon, I'll bet it would have sheared the vehicle right in half and killed everyone inside.

The fact is, some vehicles are better for certain things than others.

Kind of OT, but the newer civilian Hummers aren't really Humvees any more.

GM took the Humvee body, re-engineered it, and set it on a Suburban Frame.  THe new ones have lost all of the ground clearance that the original Humvee had, and are nowhere near as reliable or resiliant as the original.

Short story:

The new ones SUCK ! !

I had a chance to ride the civilian HMMWV. (surgeon at work was showing it off) and even before I got it, it didn't feel right. I worked in Supply Bn most of my time in the Corp and I ordered/signed/delivered enough HMMWV tires that I know better not to buy these monsters. Just on the tires alone! To begin with, the basic, for cargo HMMWV tires would cost a fortune to use and maintain. Then to upgrade to the heavier HMMWV, the ones used for TOW and Stingers, now were talking about seriously robbing a real bank, not those found in supermarket banks.

Then add gasoline prices today.

Were talking about robbing a banks with more than two guys.

Oil change, we're not talking about every 3, 000 miles, Jiffy Lube here.

Now were robbing banks with 5 more guys...

You don't see Governor rnold driving his military version HMMWV with California gas n prices nowadays.

And if you're in a region were winter is involved. Talk about fog city inside your front windows. :rofl:

....hmmm I had a point :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

4ceReconSniper,

You can usually find them at Air Force decom auctions. Security Forces goes through those things like candy. If you have a base nearby, call their info line at the MPF and ask them if they auction them off thier, or send them out. Columbus AFB in MS still does, but I'm not sure about the rest of the bases.

UA HMMWV is the way to roll!

IF I want to buy a military version of humvee where can I buy it? By the way i dont hate humvees

You can buy them at dealerships, but you have to specify that you want the H1, not the H2.

BTW Motor Trend drove an H2 up a hill and it ended up getting stuck. The Volvo V70 SUV went straight up the same hill without any problem. LOL.

Cos Landrovers rule .... the Wolf kept me well happy before i left the green even with the dumb spare tyre placement.

http://www.mark.clubaustin.co.uk/lrlenght.jpg and anything good enough for the hooligans! lol is good enough for me

http://www.rangerover.f9.co.uk/REME/Wolf/Wolf.htm

http://www.rangerover.f9.co.uk/REME/Wolf/Wlf01.jpg

Up armouring is a double edged sword that will save you soem times and get you body bagged in others thats a real no winner there. you just have to hope to being in the right one at the right time.

The LR's are good vehicles indeed but the HMMWV does have it's good sides. I've seen the aftermath of a HMMWV running over an antitank mine with it's front left wheel and I doubt an LR would of handled it as well. Fair enough that the vehicle was scrapmetal afterwards but no major injuries were sustained by the crew.

Pretty much everything infront of the firewall was blown off but no shrapnel entered the cab.

And hanging extra armour on anything not really designed for it won't work all to well. I drove a Scania 113M truck with an armoured cab during my Bosnia days and even with 350 odd HP and heaps of tourque it was a pain to drive. Was also plagued by a tendency to understeer due to the extra weight of the cab.

Scania 113M looks like this without the extra armour.

scania_p113ml_svn.jpg