Outlines

WhiteKnight77

Do you want the red and green outlines in the game to denote friendly or enemy?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right now, there are red and green outlines denoting friendly or enemy bodies. Does GRAW need them or does it make you feel the game thinks you are stupid?

Would it be better to show enemy placement on a command map ala GR1 with info from the UAV?

Let your choice be known.

If the technologies presented in-game are closely based on systems that have a non-trivial chance of actually being fielded, by the year that the game is set in, then it would be unrealistic to exclude them.

If the technologies presented in-game are pure fiction, with no basis in terms of what groups like Natick are considering, or technologies that will simply not be fieldable in the time frame the game represents, including them would be.

So, technically, I'm undecided, in the terms of the poll. Correctly speaking, I am entirely decided, just not on whether the outlines should be included or excluded, as I don't know exactly what possibilities are being looked at when the people responsible for the FFW program work towards their goal(s).

I would have liked a "Yes, with a toggle on/off option" option in the poll, that would have been my choice, 'cause I try not to knock something until I've tried it.

Agreed, But i still have to say in a TDM no matter how good or bad it is it well still be off for a Online game in my rooms. I want you to work for your kills not given to you when im tring to sneak up on you. For CooP i could care less if its on or not even still i might turn it off just for the challnge. I know its the future, but i hate to go back to WWII games just to stay away from stuff like this! So i hope they do atleast add a On and Off button for CooP and Team games and not just for yourself but the whole room!

Is the military really thinking about implementing this?

Something very close.

And why wouldn't they be? It'd be an excellent aid to soldiers, stupid looking or not.

What if a citizen ran out in front? Would they have this red outline around them? That's the biggest reason I got, but who knows maybe it will be a good thing.

Anyone have a link about this outline thingy being developed?

I dont like it, it just reminds me the route GR2 took when they made it "Kiddie Friendly". No one needs to tell the person with the ak shooting at me is an enemy. Also if you watch that demo movie. When the tank comes you see a red outline around it and the friendlys are like "Its a tank!"...well no duh what do you think that big metal thing coming at you is!

Edited by GRT

I don't see this technology being implemented anytime soon. If it does make it, then I think it will be one of those things that will be around 50 years from now. How the heck would something like this work? Do you spike the enemy water supply something?

If I'm being a complete noob, somebody please shed some light on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Before the 2nd gulf war started, there was stuff in the papers (UK) saying that US troops would be using a system whereby enemies would show up as red and good guys as green. I laughed when I read this and now I find out that its true.... Well, seeing as GR was meant to have future technology (command map etc, OICW - didnt see any airburst stuff, though), it only makes sense that this is implemented.

But surely enemies can only show up if they've been spotted by the UAV, so it might not spot everyone. Therefore some enemies might slip through. I can see it being a problem for team games, though. No point in trying stealth if you have a big red outline showing where you are lol. I guess most people will opt to have this feature switched off, then.

I'm sure they are designing the missions so that you can't just walk down the road like Robocop and his "targeting" then shooting while looking in the opposite direction trick :rofl:

The red and green outlines are a bad idea. I don't want to see it in the game.

If they have told us that it's gonna happen in the future, then there's a chance its already been used.... somewhere. The red/green thing in a HUD sounds possible when you think about how spyplanes are used now. But then again, I'm still waiting for the predator-style suits that project an image of the background across the front of your body so that you look invisible. :whistle:

I dunno about the nanobots in the bloodstream to repair wounds idea, though. In a 100yrs maybe, yeah.

I would think the Green around a friendly would be possible..just by having a transmitter attached to a friendly...but I cant see the bad guys being willing to put one on their person.

Green ok...

Red..no...should not be able to tell a civilian from a tango until you see the gun.

HACK

I'd prefer not to have these outlines. Ghost Recon 2 you get the smallest cross over team mates and you don't even get it if they are a long way way. I was playing last night on live - a guy was walking in the dark woods and he got nailed by a team mate. Easy mistake - one the American army make regularly.

I say no to the outlines and no turning them off or on individually. Maybe the server admin or w/e could control it.

most likely yes, There are cameras that identify silhuettes as of now. The best repensintation iv seen of it thoe is the Honda humanoid robot wich can remember faces and voices it draws a similare outline around people too.

but i would like a toggle option to turn it on or off and make civilians light up too same as the enemy. Whats to tell you if they are enemies or not then its a real thinking game of weather to shoot or not.

Edited by Prozac360

• 3 weeks later...
The red and green outlines are a bad idea. I don't want to see it in the game.

If they have told us that it's gonna happen in the future, then there's a chance its already been used.... somewhere. The red/green thing in a HUD sounds possible when you think about how spyplanes are used now. But then again, I'm still waiting for the predator-style suits that project an image of the background across the front of your body so that you look invisible. :whistle:

I dunno about the nanobots in the bloodstream to repair wounds idea, though. In a 100yrs maybe, yeah.

Making the assumption that the AW gear has satellite capability, it would be relatively simple to link friendly soldiers to each other and show their position. However, anything else would end up having to be detected by a signature of some sort (Infrared, movement-sensing, sound-sensing) and that means that everyone including the civilians and their dogs and cats would end up being identified as a target. You may want to identify your squadmates but everything else is an enemy until otherwise identified, as far as I would be concerned.

As far as the nanobots in the bloodstream, that is closer than 100 years but not in the Advanced Warfighter realm.

Bronco_Six

TSOG www.tacsimopsgroup.com

Edited by Bronco_Six

As I have said before in other threads, ability to ID friendlies is okay by me, but the ability to ID enemy is FAR from being a reality as of now. Having to ID enemy should be a large part of the game as Mexico City has a population that is bigger than NYC, so there is no way that everyone has evacuated.